Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I'm writing an application for myself to organize my experimental data and I was wondering if there is any real difference between the Mac OS X and the iOS developer programs.

I looked on Apple's developer website and did a google serach, but I didn't see any big differences other than the fact that you need to be in the iOS developer program to upload your applications to an iOS device, but what are the advantages of the OS X developer program?

Why would a developer choose the OS X over iOS programs?

squier

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
iOS and OS X applications are not compatible. You either write an application for OS X or you write it for iOS. If you're developing for iPhone, iTouch, or iPad join the iOS developer program, if you are writing for computers running OS X you may want to join the OS X developer program.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
There is a $100 per year fee if you want to upload iOS apps to the App Store, no fee for Mac development. The rate is the same no matter how many apps you develop or how much you charge (including free).

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have not been able to confirm but I think iOS developers do not get access to beta OS X releases. Is that the difference maybe?

I am going to sign up soon but was also wondering the difference.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have not been able to confirm but I think iOS developers do not get access to beta OS X releases. Is that the difference maybe?

I am going to sign up soon but was also wondering the difference.

You’re correct. iOS developers don’t get access to Mac OS X seeds except under rare circumstances. For example, iOS developers recently got access to the 10.6.5 update seed because iOS 4.2 needs that version of Mac OS X for AirPrint testing.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Mac OS X dev program members also get a development version of Mac OS X Server to test on as well as beta releases of the current OS and seeds of the brand new version of Mac OS X (when Apple release it).

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
You should keep in mind 10.7 isn't expected anytime soon. Hopefully at next summer's WWDC, they'll at least acknowledge its existence.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm writing an application for myself to organize my experimental data and I was wondering if there is any real difference between the Mac OS X and the iOS developer programs.

I looked on Apple's developer website and did a google serach, but I didn't see any big differences other than the fact that you need to be in the iOS developer program to upload your applications to an iOS device, but what are the advantages of the OS X developer program?

Why would a developer choose the OS X over iOS programs?

There is also the free developer program for MacOS X, where you pay nothing, but you won't get new OS releases, just what everyone gets. It's absolutely fine for developing your own apps running on a Macintosh. So you won't get 10.6.5 a few weeks before the public, but do you care? Or you can't get the XCode 4.0 preview, but then it's work in progress anyway.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks everybody.

I think I'll look into the free developer program so I can download the latest version of xcode 3. I don't really need the latest version of OS X or the preview of xcode 4 and it will be awhile before I'm ready to port my data organization app to my iPad.

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
If you intend to submit a paid app to the App Store and are not a resident of the US, you might want to register with the paid/full iOS developer program a few weeks in advance, though, so you can sort out all the formalities (IRS tax number and so on) beforehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.