Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
How does the 9400 graphics work with X-Plane?

I don't know. I don't use my MacBook Pro for X-Plane. I use a Mac Pro.

This is what MacWorld says:
"The 2.4GHz MacBook with Nvidia graphics was able to crank out over 39 frames per second in our standard Quake tests. That may not seem like something to crow about, until you compare it with the old 2.4GHz MacBook with the GMA X3100—that system managed a meager 7.6 frames-per-second in the same tests. When we switched from the 9400M to the MacBook Pro’s second GPU, the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT, we saw an extra graphical push. The 9600M GT helped the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro get a respectable 58.9 frames per second in our Quake 4 tests."

It sounds like the 9400M would do okay as long as you keep X-Plane's renderings a little lower.

If you want to get better performance from the same video card (if it is Nvidia), run X-Plane with Windows under Boot Camp.

I made the following graph just for you (per MacWorld):

MacBook.jpg

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I don't know. I don't use my MacBook Pro for X-Plane. I use a Mac Pro.
It sounds like the 9400M would do okay as long as you keep X-Plane's renderings a little lower.

If you want to get better performance from the same video card (if it is Nvidia), run X-Plane with Windows under Boot Camp.
I get very good performance out of X-Plane with my Core i7 machine.
MS FSX is not bad with Win 7 64 bit, but I prefer X-Plane.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
I get very good performance out of X-Plane with my Core i7 machine.
MS FSX is not bad with Win 7 64 bit, but I prefer X-Plane.

I've got FSX.
I wanted to use it because at the time the only Garmin G1000 simulators were made for FSX.
But I am just too used to X-Plane.
Now Realty XP has a very nice GNS WAAS 530 for X-Plane which I really enjoy using.
FTS has come out with a Garmin G1000 for X-Plane which I'll probably purchase sooner or later.

bart4u

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Is My Mac Pro Good Enough

I have a Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad Core 6GB Memory and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card and I am running 10.5.8 Is X-Plane going to run slow on this or do I need to upgrade the graphics card. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
I have a Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad Core 6GB Memory and an ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card and I am running 10.5.8 Is X-Plane going to run slow on this or do I need to upgrade the graphics card. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks

You'll need to experiment with the "Rendering Options" menu.
You can get X-plane to run just fine with the computer that you have but you will probably have to make some sacrifices.
"Texture resolution" has six settings; minimal, low, normal, high, very high, and extreme res!.
You may need to keep it down to high or very high. But you do have a Mac Pro with 6GB of memory so maybe you can get it to run at "extreme res!"
X-plane has 5 anti-aliasing settings; none, 2x, 4x, 8x, and 16x.
I seriously doubt the HD 2600 can handle anything above 2x. You may have to keep the settings to none.

Experiment with the Rendering Options menu.
If X-plane isn't running smoothly at the renderings that you desire, then maybe you should think about getting a better video card.
The new ATI HD 5870 should be a beauty.

bart4u

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Thank you

Topper thanks for the info. I fly radio control planes and use a flight simulator from Aerofly and it runs great with my computer. I want to try the X-Plane sometime soon but I think I will upgrade the video card.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Well, I decided to get X-Plane. Purchased three copies:
- Mac
- iPhone
- iPad

Ended up using it on the iPhone and iPad the most. The flight model seems fairly accurate. Fun to use and a great time killer.

Only complaint, is that the developer has the collective move the wrong way for helicopters. Up should be pitch up and not pitch down.

On the Mac, I mostly do the following.

I fly radio control planes and use a flight simulator from Aerofly and it runs great with my computer.
I use Phoenix via VMware Fusion running Windows XP. I connect to my Spektrum DX7 controller. Works great.

Still thinking about getting MSFT FS, but right now just don't have the time to really use it.

Also want to set up my A-10 with the three controls (stick, throttle and pedals) on one of my older Macs.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Have you seen the helicopter forums at forums.x-plane.org?
Maybe you could register your complaint there.
A guy called brett s seems to be the helicopter guru.
Thanks, but too much work.

E-mailed the company with the suggestion that they make the collective realistic or at least have the option to choose.

In all the "real" helicopters that I have flown, not one has a collective operate the way X-Plane does. It results in backwards (reverse) inputs for maneuvers and really messes up your mind if you have flown real helicopters.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks, but too much work.

E-mailed the company with the suggestion that they make the collective realistic or at least have the option to choose.

In all the "real" helicopters that I have flown, not one has a collective operate the way X-Plane does. It results in backwards (reverse) inputs for maneuvers and really messes up your mind if you have flown real helicopters.

Assuming you're using a joystick of some sort, you can reverse control directions in the joystick setup. Does that not do what you want?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Assuming you're using a joystick of some sort, you can reverse control directions in the joystick setup. Does that not do what you want?
Thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately, I wasn't clear on my original post above. I am referring to the iPad version.

Hmmm... If you want a realistic helicopter simulation (combat) you should try "Black Shark";

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=950&scr=default

Windows only, though!
Hmmm... Interesting. Thanks.

Cobra Wing 5s 120.gif

Skald

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
California
Anyone flown "Over Flanders Fields" WWI?

I would be doing it on a new MacBook Pro 13" with (alas) just an Nvidia 320M, 256MB, using (cough, hack) Windows 7.

I have and plan to try IL2 1946. I was surprised that no one on this thread mentioned it.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

Everything you crazy helicopter guys do is backwards anyway - and now you're whining about which direction the collective moves? Bah!

:p:p:p

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
It looks like X-Plane 10 might get released by the end of this year.
It has been totally rewritten.

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
It looks like X-Plane 10 might get released by the end of this year.
It has been totally rewritten.

Yes, from what I have seen so far, it really looks nice.
It looks like it will use all eight cores of my Mac Pro.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Which is best? Depends on what you want. I have no idea which "flies" better because I'm not a real-life pilot. How each sim performs is very much related to your hardware - here I give X-plane the nod. If you like flying "low and slow" like me, to look at scenery, FSX has the nod right now, comparing out-of-the-box to out-of-the-box. To me, X-plane is easier to "fly" which makes it more realistic. I know several real-life private pilots and have flown for real with them and they say X-plane has the most realistic flight model.
I say right now X-plane has a path going forward, FSX does not.
1 more for x-plane.

Rich :cool:

ofiaich

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Hi!

can I use a Wingman joystick with my MacBook Pro and X-Plane?

Off to research, but someone might know here from expereince!

Ofiaich :)

Topper

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Hi!

Not from experience but X-Plane forum members use Wingman.
It is the belief of many forum members that just about any USB joystick will work with OS X and X-Plane.
Of course, that doesn't mean they are all created equal.

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Hi!

I have one and it does not work that great with Xplane. I works fantastic with FSX, which is what I fly the most. For me it's the most realistic.

ofiaich

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Thanks for your replies, dimme and Topper!

I don't really want to use FSX on my MacBook Pro, because that would be the only reason to use BootCamp or Parallel

I think to do that would take up a lot of space.

I will read more about Xplane!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.