Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discosoap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
Hi guys,

i am planning on replacing my optical drive with an optibay solution with extra hard-drive. Ifixit has manuals for replacing the hard drive and for removing the optical drive. Both manuals include removing the battery, using tri-wing screwdrivers;

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...nibody-Mid-2010-Hard-Drive-Replacement/3030/2
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...ody-Mid-2010-Optical-Drive-Replacement/3074/2

However the movie below shows it could be done without removing the battery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd3RS-GGsCI

As I can't find the correct tri-wing screwdriver, I thought checking with you guys whether it is essential to remove the battery before I can A) replace the optical drive with a caddy, B) remove/switch the hard drive. Can anyone share his experience ? Is removing the battery only a safety precaution ?

Kind regards

discosoap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
Meritline has a tri wing driver that should work with it although I'd try it without removing the battery.

http://bit.ly/45KA5b

Thanks, so they are the same as used for the Nintendo Wii ?

you don't have to remove the battery. I didn't do it when i did mine.

Thanks, nice to have it confirmed. iFixit is not the holy grail then, or might there be some reason they remove the battery first (e.g. safety concerns) ??

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
you should just buy those 10 dollar computer kits that includes all that and always have it handy. never know when you'l need it again

hasole

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't when i did the main hdd. I did take the battery out (needing the tri wing screwdriver) when I took the superdrive out and put in a hdd to replace it because the bracket I used from newmodeus is completely metal.

discosoap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
I didn't when i did the main hdd. I did take the battery out (needing the tri wing screwdriver) when I took the superdrive out and put in a hdd to replace it because the bracket I used from newmodeus is completely metal.

Can you confirm you took out the battery because of safety precautions and not because the superdrive wouldn't come out otherwise ?

hasole

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Affirmative. You don't need to take the battery out. I'd recommend it though so there is no power running through the unit.

discosoap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
Affirmative. You don't need to take the battery out. I'd recommend it though so there is no power running through the unit.

Thanks :) Do you know of an other way of making sure "there is no power running through the unit"?? Like an alternative to taking out the complete battery ?
And if this is not possible, what would I have to be careful for when replacing the harddrive/superdrive ? Should I be afraid of electronic shock, should I be careful not to touch certain area's on the motherboard ? Any ideas ?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
You don't have to take the battery out. When the system is off, the hard drive is completely powered down. Apple's own instructions do not mention disconnecting the battery because it's simply not needed.

hasole

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
The connector is in the middle of the battery going in to the logic board and it cannot be removed without taking the battery out.

I was in the same boat last week, easiest thing to do is buy the screwdriver.

I was worried about anti static, as I've blown up a previous macbook because of it. You have been warned.

gonenutsbrb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Southern California
Clarification

The connector is in the middle of the battery going in to the logic board and it cannot be removed without taking the battery out.

I was in the same boat last week, easiest thing to do is buy the screwdriver.

I was worried about anti static, as I've blown up a previous macbook because of it. You have been warned.

This is not completely true, the connector on most unibody MB/MBPs (one's with a single panel on the underside) is above the battery on the bottom right of the logic board. The 17" I believe is slightly different and the connector on some models may be on the right hand side of the battery depending on where the hard drive and the battery are located. Using a thin (preferably plastic or something soft) object, one can disconnect the battery without using a tri-wing driver at all. We do it all the time here (Pepperdine University IT) for foolish students who spill there "water" on their laptops. On a side note, I want to know when water started being sticky and smelling like rum...

I can post pictures if need be, but figuring as this is an old post, I will do so if someone bumps after I post.

christeeezy

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I will vouch for not having to remove and/or disconnect the battery when swapping drives. I have swapped twice (due to reasons other than harming the computer or drives) with out issue.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I guess 2011 did improve on it then! You can disconnect the battery w/o lifting it up in the newer models. I still bought a tri-wing before I realized I didn't need it.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I will vouch for not having to remove and/or disconnect the battery when swapping drives. I have swapped twice (due to reasons other than harming the computer or drives) with out issue.
+1

Seriously S-ATA is hot plug capable. You can remove that stuff WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING. Removing the system drive would crash or freeze it but it won't damage anything.
All the other SATA stuff can be removed and plugged in while online. When I work on my Desktop PC I just remove the side panel an plug harddrives in if I need to format them or do whatever.
It is completely ridiculous to remove the battery and risk damaging the seal on it (that voids your warranty) just to completely power down something that is
a) already power down
b) wouldn't even have to be if it wasn't.

gonenutsbrb

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Southern California
+1

Seriously S-ATA is hot plug capable. You can remove that stuff WHILE THE COMPUTER IS RUNNING. Removing the system drive would crash or freeze it but it won't damage anything.
All the other SATA stuff can be removed and plugged in while online. When I work on my Desktop PC I just remove the side panel an plug harddrives in if I need to format them or do whatever.
It is completely ridiculous to remove the battery and risk damaging the seal on it (that voids your warranty) just to completely power down something that is
a) already power down
b) wouldn't even have to be if it wasn't.

A) If you read what the OP was wanting to do, I don't think warranty is a big concern.
B) While the above stated is true, mainly that SATA is hot swappable, we aren't working on a desktop, which actually has grounding etc, and that kinda scares me. Regardless of what you can do (i.e. probably get away with), there's a reason procedure when working on most computers begins with, "Step 1: Remove power source."

I'm not saying what you suggest isn't right, I'm just saying personally, I would go with the better safe than sorry method when working on an $1100+ notebook, especially if it's as easy as disconnecting a cable. It's just advice, take it for what it's worth.

P.S. As a side note, especially with Windows, I've run into some serious issues with just plugging stuff straight into SATA ports with the computer running. This is very handy to do especially in the data recovery field where you're plugging and unplugging drives all the time, but erring on the side of caution might not be a bad plan (see sentence two of part B above).

Anyway, remember what they say about arguing on the internet...

discosoap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
The Netherlands
A) If you read what the OP was wanting to do, I don't think warranty is a big concern.
B) While the above stated is true, mainly that SATA is hot swappable, we aren't working on a desktop, which actually has grounding etc, and that kinda scares me. Regardless of what you can do (i.e. probably get away with), there's a reason procedure when working on most computers begins with, "Step 1: Remove power source."

I'm not saying what you suggest isn't right, I'm just saying personally, I would go with the better safe than sorry method when working on an $1100+ notebook, especially if it's as easy as disconnecting a cable. It's just advice, take it for what it's worth.

P.S. As a side note, especially with Windows, I've run into some serious issues with just plugging stuff straight into SATA ports with the computer running. This is very handy to do especially in the data recovery field where you're plugging and unplugging drives all the time, but erring on the side of caution might not be a bad plan (see sentence two of part B above).

Anyway, remember what they say about arguing on the internet...

Yes, please shut the laptop power down, before you do anything. I hot-swapped the hard drive when it was running on power.. don't do that, I had to rebuild my drive with Diskwarrior afterwards, because it wouldn't restart anymore :)

iphonetechtips

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
Cupertino, CA
You can get ESD-Safe anti-static triwing/tri-lobe screwdrivers (and many other types for Mac repair) here: http://teak23macparts.bigcartel.com/product/professional-esd-safe-precision-screwdriver-select-torx-phillips-or-trilobe-from-options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.