Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Hi Jess,

What sort of G5 powermac is it?

try going syspref->Energy Saver->options-> processor performance (reduced or Auto)

should help :)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the PowerMac G5 had been quieter then the Powermac G4 windtunnels
and my PowerMac G5 2.3 dual is not loud at all , on setting automatic most of the time i cant hear him at all apart from a slight wirrrr noise but far from loud , i had louder pc's in the past , after all its a desktop

so which of the fans is the culprit as thats a indication which part has a problem , install istat menu's 2 to watch temperatures and fan speeds

but a general advice if possible never ever let the room temperature rise above 18 degree celsius (64.5 degree Fahrenheit ), the PowerMac g5's are more of the nordic type and thats where hey feels most comfortable :D

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hi Jess,

What sort of G5 powermac is it?

try going syspref->Energy Saver->options-> processor performance (reduced or Auto)

should help :)

Ooh, I didn't see that, thanks!

the PowerMac G5 had been quieter then the Powermac G4 windtunnels
and my PowerMac G5 2.3 dual is not loud at all , on setting automatic most of the time i cant hear him at all apart from a slight wirrrr noise but far from loud , i had louder pc's in the past , after all its a desktop

so which of the fans is the culprit as thats a indication which part has a problem , install istat menu's 2 to watch temperatures and fan speeds

but a general advice if possible never ever let the room temperature rise above 18 degree celsius (64.5 degree Fahrenheit ), the PowerMac g5's are more of the nordic type and thats where hey feels most comfortable :D

My room is pretty cold, other times it's hot. It's just the bad thing about living in Texas. I'll see what I can do though. The machine feels hot on the left, but not on the right.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
is it possible to replace the fans for quieter ones, my g5 roars like crazy to!

Believe it or not, you have some fantastically good fans in your G5 already. Compare them to the ones in an ordinary PC, and you'll be shocked. The downside of the G5s is that they're extremely hot chips--some fan use is inescapable. If your main concern is the revving that happens occasionally if your power settings are on "Auto", try "Reduced" or "High Power" instead. You'll either lose some speed or use more power, but either choice will stabilize the sound somewhat. Also, for what it's worth, the single-processor models were somewhat quieter (I've run my single 1.6 side by side with my parents' dual 1.8 to compare).

Your other possibility is the graphics card--probably the loudest and cheapest fan in the computer is the one on your graphics card (unless you have a passively cooled card (FX5200/ATI 9600/9650). The ATI 9800 is the worst for noise in my experience, though the Nvidia 6800 cards also add significant noise even at idle. Can't comment on the ATI X800 series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.