Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
So, I'm vacationing to Sydney, Australia next month. I'm wondering if I'll need a voltage converter to charge my American iPhone 3G, or if I can get away with just an outlet adapter.

I was able to use my U.S. MacBook without a voltage converter in the U.K., as it detects voltage and adjusts accordingly. Does the iPhone do the same thing?

I plan to use it in wifi mode while I'm there to catch up with work emails, and really don't want to fry it in the process.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
So, I'm vacationing to Sydney, Australia next month. I'm wondering if I'll need a voltage converter to charge my American iPhone 3G, or if I can get away with just an outlet adapter.

I was able to use my U.S. MacBook without a voltage converter in the U.K., as it detects voltage and adjusts accordingly. Does the iPhone do the same thing?

I plan to use it in wifi mode while I'm there to catch up with work emails, and really don't want to fry it in the process.

An outlet adapter worked fine for me. Enjoy Sydney and be careful crossing the street. Cars on the left side of the street can present a problem when your walking around town.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
+1 to above. You just need the outlet adapter. A really simple check for any electronic device is to check the plug/power brick/ adapter. If it is "international" it will have a label on it that lists the "input" as 110-240. That means it (the power adapter/brick/plug) does the transforming on its own. You will only need an adapter to deal with the difference in the plug designs.

Another thing to consider is that most larger chain style motels have rooms with multiple input outlets in the rooms. It looks like a spaghetti mess, but it will fit. This saves you from dragging along all the different types of adapters you might need.

Have fun and safe travels!

Oh, final thought. Apple sells a nifty international kit that allows you to pop off the plug type on the laptop power bricks and early ipod power bricks. I grabbed one of these a few years back and they work great!!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Another thing to consider is that most larger chain style motels have rooms with multiple input outlets in the rooms.

True. In my hotel room here in London my outlet bank has multiple outlets for different plugs. I still use an adapter for the UK plugins because I have my MBP, my iPad, my iPhone, my Dell work computer, my work phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.