Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
hi is it possible to have sound coming from both my imac aswell as my tv i have a mini dvi to hdmi mirrored to project display but have no audio from tv i have read about connecting audio leads to tv and then into headphone jack on imac but surely sound from my imac will be lost is there any way to have both pllzzzzzz hellllppp!!!! thanks

if you try to get sound from both, you could probably rig it up somehow, however, you would get a weird delay, and it wouldn't sound so great.

zanax

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
While this may work for most HDTVs. The Panasonic TV (Panasonic viera tc-p42x1) I have does not have seperate audio option while using HDMI that I am aware of, If I am mistaken someone tell me how to get around this please. If not the $50 cable solution looks like my best option. :/

I have the 2010 MBP and Panasonic Viera tc-P42x1 as well. I bought a mini display to HDMI cable from Aamazon (http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274199773&sr=8-1) and hooked it to my TV and selected audio output to TV under system preferences>Sound. And it worked wonderfully. There are some confusion since certain cables seem to work where as others don't apparently from the same vendors. So do some research on Amazon and MR as to who got it to work and how and hopefully you will get lucky.

Edit: Sorry thought you had a 2010 MBP. Otherwise if you have external speakers, what I did for a while is to keep the audio output to internal speakers in Mac Sys Pref and pass the audio direct to the speakers and simply use the HDMI cable to carry video. The pain is that you wont be able to control audio volume using TV remote. The work around is to use the Mac remote.

jolsrud

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
automatically switch audio out

Is there a way that my mbp can automatically switch the audio out to HDMI when I connect the minidisplay cable? I know I can manually do it in preferences and it works. But I would like it to switch automatically.

LemonPie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Beirut, Lebanon
HDMI link to MacBook Pro faltering - plz help

So i went n bought an 80$ mini-display to HDMI cable (plus an additional HDMI to HDMI for 20$) cause i thought it was definitely worth it to watch movies and series on my big TV. I linked everything (there is even a USB cable for the sound, thats what the guy at the store said) and my wallpaper appeared onthe TV screen, but thats about it, nothing else would show.
I tried to play series on VLC and Quicktime
Anyone can please help?

ccj813

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
I too can confirm that it is possible to hook up a MacBook to an HDTV (in this case a Pioneer Elite). I needed two cables: a mini-DVI to HDMI cable (see "PTC Mini-DVI to HDMI Adapter with 6ft HDMI Cable for Macintosh") to carry the video directly to the TV, and a 3.5mm to component (red & white jacks) "Y" cable (see "Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6ft)") to carry the audio directly to the TV. Note that I bypassed the A/V Receiver and went straight into the back of the TV.

In order to make this work, I had to change the settings within the setup menu of the TV itself to get the audio from an analog source (while retaining the video from the HDMI cable). Normally the HDMI cable would carry both video and audio, but there is no audio coming out of the HDMI port on the MacBook so you need a second cable coming from the MacBook's headphone jack. With decent speakers hooked up directly to the TV, this produced very acceptable stereo sound. The picture was quite good as well (maybe not HD but I was able to watch Hulu video as well as DVD movies on the 50" screen with no visible granulation).

This setup sort of obviates the need for the $100 Roku box I have (which allows you to display HD instant-download movies though Netflix). I can now simply play them on my MacBook though this new setup. The audio cable was $5 via a 3rd party vendor on Amazon (shipping included) while the video cable was $12. So using your MacBook for Netflix instant downloads is $83 cheaper than Roku.

Hope this helps. I'm very happy with all the options I now have for fully utilizing my 50" HDTV.:D Oh, and, I read the ****ing manual (RTFM) to figure this all out. You should too.

i got these chords for my macbook and insignia tv, but when i hooked them up, it only showed the background of my computer. i've tried using the hdmi 2 instead of 1 and fooling around with the tv menu, but i can't figure it out ]:

ccj813

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
i got these chords for my macbook and insignia tv, but when i hooked them up, it only showed the background of my computer. i've tried using the hdmi 2 instead of 1 and fooling around with the tv menu, but i can't figure it out ]:

well i got the screen to work now i just can't get the audio.

dagrudge

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
phubbard314, I also have a pioneer kuro.
hoW did you config it to connect to the macbook? i already have the minidisplay to hdmi converter cable.
thanks

Riptide62

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
I have the 2010 MBP and Panasonic Viera tc-P42x1 as well. I bought a mini display to HDMI cable from Aamazon (http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274199773&sr=8-1) and hooked it to my TV and selected audio output to TV under system preferences>Sound. And it worked wonderfully. There are some confusion since certain cables seem to work where as others don't apparently from the same vendors. So do some research on Amazon and MR as to who got it to work and how and hopefully you will get lucky.

Edit: Sorry thought you had a 2010 MBP. Otherwise if you have external speakers, what I did for a while is to keep the audio output to internal speakers in Mac Sys Pref and pass the audio direct to the speakers and simply use the HDMI cable to carry video. The pain is that you wont be able to control audio volume using TV remote. The work around is to use the Mac remote.

I can't get audio through HDMI although video is fine. I have a Pioneer 5010FD, and a 2010 MacBook 15" Intel Core i5. From an Apple store I purchased the MiniDisplay to DVI, and DVI to HDMI adapters and connected the MacBook to HDMI (port 5). Can't get audio and while McBook detects TV for display purpose, I do not have the option under System preferences>Sound> Output to select TV or external speakers. It see's internal speakers only.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Riptide62

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
phubbard314, I also have a pioneer kuro.
hoW did you config it to connect to the macbook? i already have the minidisplay to hdmi converter cable.
thanks

I can't get audio using a similar set-up. For video, just make sure you turn on mirroring. It will appear under a Display icon on Top menu bar (near Bluetooth icon).

For audio, I'm lost. The Pioneer is not detected.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You might not have the adio connections. A lot of TV will accept sound input from from another source while displaying things threw HDMI cable.
My brother will take a Male Male cord and plug one end into the headphone jack on his macbook and the other into the TV. The display is handled by a MiniDVI to HDMI adapter. It works great and the sound comes threw the TV speakers just fine for what ever he is watching.

Riptide62

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
Apple confirms issue with HDMI audio out on OS 10.6.4 build

After reading a discussion on the Apple Support Discussion board, I called Apple and they confirmed that there is indeed an issue in the 10.6.4 update that disabled the audio output option through HDMI. The Apple customer service rep said that they were aware of the problem, were working to address it but could not give a time frame for its resolution.

Bottom line, anyone on Snow Leopard 10.6.4 will no longer be able to output audio via HDMI until Apple addressed the problem.

nicholaShanghai

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
hallelujah! let there be audio!

dear all,

this is my first post and i would like to thank all earlier posts by all of you in probing this nagging audio issue. after 2 days of angst and agony, back and forth Best Buy, i found a solution lies within the macbook pro... read on...

here's the background...
i have an early 2009 Macbook Pro 15.4" unibody Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 250G HDD, 4G SDRAM 1067MHz DDR3, Express Card, MiniDisplay Port, no SD slot, stock configurations, no hardware upgrade, only software upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard this year. i want to hook up with my 2007 Sony Bravia KLV-46X200A, so I bought the lastest Moshi MiniDisplay Port-to-HDMI adapter (1.3 compliance), knowing only mid-2010 Macbook Pro can transfer both audio / visual. so i bought another Belkin 3.5mm-to-RCA cable because my Sony LCD tv has an HDMI 2 with RCA input side-by-side. also, i bought Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Remote (to fully utilize the Front Row app in my Macbook Pro) since I will be rooted on my sofa after this setup. everything seems logical at this point but when i went home eagerly to hook it up, no audio out from my Sony LCD tv speakers! during my first sleepless night, i tried all the settings both on tv and macbook pro and combed all threads for solution but still no avail.

next morning, i went back to Best Buy as soon as they opened, i bought an Apple MiniDisplay Port-to-VGA adapter, knowing i will not get 1080P but my dream of getting audio/visual to my Sony LCD tv grows stronger by the hour! at the same time, i bought a Belkin 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable because my Sony LCD tv has a VGA input and a 3.5mm jack side-by-side. again, i was eager to go back home and try it and it works! text rendering is better, ideal for computing purpose but video is mediocre because my ultimate objective is 1080P with audio, so i relentlessly tried with my earlier set of adapter / cable, combed for more threads for the second sleepless night in a row but still no avail.

here's the solution
this morning, after half dozen of RedBulls and toothpicks holding up my eye lids (this is a joke), i fiddled with the battery toggle on top of the screen bar, clicked Energy Saver Preferences... which an Energy Saver window pops up, changed my Graphics preference to Better Battery Life (my default was Higher Performance) which automatically prompted me to log out / on and voila! the audio is out albeit its stereo but my Sony LCD tv has the options of Surround Stereo and BBE to make it sounds better! Not only that, the top and below black bars on the screen are missing (but the side black bars, about 1.5 inches thick still exist which i can set Zoom on my Sony LCD tv to get rid off)! Here you go, go try it! let me know if it works!

IF the above still doesn't work for me till today, I'm thinking of buying a Bose Companion 5 (audio through USB connection) to deliver an even better audio (simulated 5.1) to complement the 1080P visual output! Guess I'm good for now.

cheers,
nicholaShanghai

SoRReLL WeaR

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
dear all,

this is my first post and i would like to thank all earlier posts by all of you in probing this nagging audio issue. after 2 days of angst and agony, back and forth Best Buy, i found a solution lies within the macbook pro... read on...

here's the background...
i have an early 2009 Macbook Pro 15.4" unibody Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 250G HDD, 4G SDRAM 1067MHz DDR3, Express Card, MiniDisplay Port, no SD slot, stock configurations, no hardware upgrade, only software upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard this year. i want to hook up with my 2007 Sony Bravia KLV-46X200A, so I bought the lastest Moshi MiniDisplay Port-to-HDMI adapter (1.3 compliance), knowing only mid-2010 Macbook Pro can transfer both audio / visual. so i bought another Belkin 3.5mm-to-RCA cable because my Sony LCD tv has an HDMI 2 with RCA input side-by-side. also, i bought Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Remote (to fully utilize the Front Row app in my Macbook Pro) since I will be rooted on my sofa after this setup. everything seems logical at this point but when i went home eagerly to hook it up, no audio out from my Sony LCD tv speakers! during my first sleepless night, i tried all the settings both on tv and macbook pro and combed all threads for solution but still no avail.

next morning, i went back to Best Buy as soon as they opened, i bought an Apple MiniDisplay Port-to-VGA adapter, knowing i will not get 1080P but my dream of getting audio/visual to my Sony LCD tv grows stronger by the hour! at the same time, i bought a Belkin 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cable because my Sony LCD tv has a VGA input and a 3.5mm jack side-by-side. again, i was eager to go back home and try it and it works! text rendering is better, ideal for computing purpose but video is mediocre because my ultimate objective is 1080P with audio, so i relentlessly tried with my earlier set of adapter / cable, combed for more threads for the second sleepless night in a row but still no avail.

here's the solution
this morning, after half dozen of RedBulls and toothpicks holding up my eye lids (this is a joke), i fiddled with the battery toggle on top of the screen bar, clicked Energy Saver Preferences... which an Energy Saver window pops up, changed my Graphics preference to Better Battery Life (my default was Higher Performance) which automatically prompted me to log out / on and voila! the audio is out albeit its stereo but my Sony LCD tv has the options of Surround Stereo and BBE to make it sounds better! Not only that, the top and below black bars on the screen are missing (but the side black bars, about 1.5 inches thick still exist which i can set Zoom on my Sony LCD tv to get rid off)! Here you go, go try it! let me know if it works!

IF the above still doesn't work for me till today, I'm thinking of buying a Bose Companion 5 (audio through USB connection) to deliver an even better audio (simulated 5.1) to complement the 1080P visual output! Guess I'm good for now.

cheers,
nicholaShanghai

I am confused. I have a 13" MBP which doesn't have those options under Energy Saver Preferences.

But I want to get this clear, after you did that, you had sound through your MiniDisplayport to your HDMI...?
THANKS!!!

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
I am confused. I have a 13" MBP which doesn't have those options under Energy Saver Preferences.

But I want to get this clear, after you did that, you had sound through your MiniDisplayport to your HDMI...?
THANKS!!!

I'm having the same problem, I have a new 2010 macbook pro i7 and i'm still having the same issue. I have the HDMI plugged into the TV, its a samsung TV, the PS3 has sound through HDMI, So i'm guessing its not a TV setting!

Anyone else any wiser on this issue?

Jordan

mattb2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
I'm having the same problem, I have a new 2010 macbook pro i7 and i'm still having the same issue. I have the HDMI plugged into the TV, its a samsung TV, the PS3 has sound through HDMI, So i'm guessing its not a TV setting!

Anyone else any wiser on this issue?

Jordan

Once the TV is connected to your MacBook Pro (via HDMI of course), try going into System Preferences and see if your TV is listed under Audio Output. I believe this should get you sound and video through your HDMI cable (haven't tried it, but worth a shot I guess).

Got the info from this link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002595-1.html

mattb2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Hm... I just tried it with my MacBook Pro. I have the 15" i5 connected to a Sony Bravia (through HDMI only). As soon as I plugged it into the TV, the Sony Bravia showed up in the Sound options under System Preferences. I then played a movie and both audio and video came through on the TV. Maybe a compatibility issue or a problem with the adapter or HDMI cable?

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Hm... I just tried it with my MacBook Pro. I have the 15" i5 connected to a Sony Bravia (through HDMI only). As soon as I plugged it into the TV, the Sony Bravia showed up in the Sound options under System Preferences. I then played a movie and both audio and video came through on the TV. Maybe a compatibility issue or a problem with the adapter or HDMI cable?

Thats interesting! I'm just not getting the sound at all!

I'll have a play about, but i've ordered a 3.5mm to phono cable.

If all else fails, i'll just keep streaming the video!

Jordan

06blackmacbook

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
Getting sound to play through tv speakers

After several hours of reading responses like the ones on this site, I finally decided to check the manual to my tv. Turns out that if you are using multiple HDMI cables (one for your cable box, one for your PC, etc), you are supposed to put the one from the PC into HDMI 1. I have a separate cable for sound (3.5mm to 3.5mm), but I think no matter what cable I used, I would have had the same problem. Maybe the HDMI 1 port (as opposed to HDMI's 2, 3, or 4) is the only one capable of understanding that the sound is coming in through a different port and not through the HDMI port. Anyway, I hadn't seen this answer written anywhere on this site or any other, so hopefully it will help some people out.

I have a new Samsung tv, by the way, but this could be true for other brands.

dcalki01

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
You can run sound through HDMI!

OK, it's late at night and in the morning I am going to realise this is a really stupid question :p

I have a nice new TV with an HDMI input and a nice Macbook with Front Row. If I use a cable to convert the Macbook's DVI to HDMI, how will I get audio to the TV (given that audio would normally be on the HDMI cable)?

You can do this from within Mac! Go into applications folder on your Desktop then -> System Preferences -> Sound -> Choose Output from button bar & select HDMI! Thats it. It works regardless of your brand of TV.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You can do this from within Mac! Go into applications folder on your Desktop then -> System Preferences -> Sound -> Choose Output from button bar & select HDMI! Thats it. It works regardless of your brand of TV.

You do know that the question you replied to is nearly four years old?

I suspect the OP has either solved it or moved on by now... :cool:

Sbsfisb2

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Thanks this was great advice

Check in your TV's manual about the audio thing. My LCD has an RCA audio input that's shared with S-Video and HDMI. You have to go into a special menu to enable it.

I have been Trying to work this out for ages:)

KellyLM

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Fixed!

This was driving me crazy. I bought the little mini-whatever to HDMI adaptor when I bought my Macbook Pro last week and just now got around to playing with it. Then I googled how to make sound happen. No luck. Anywhere.
So, I went into system preferences -> sound -> output -> clicked on my TV model. And Viola! Sound and video through one magic cable.

Kelly M :)

duc.sebas

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
This was driving me crazy. I bought the little mini-whatever to HDMI adaptor when I bought my Macbook Pro last week and just now got around to playing with it. Then I googled how to make sound happen. No luck. Anywhere.
So, I went into system preferences -> sound -> output -> clicked on my TV model. And Viola! Sound and video through one magic cable.

Kelly M :)

Was this the magic cable?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A?mco=MTgxMzM1NzE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.