Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
Hi,

I recently bought an iMAC 27 i7 2.93ghz 4GB+256GBSSD+2TB HD off ebay. The imac is fine without any issues and was factory sealed when I received it.
I went through setup and registered it on the apple site and when I check on the service & support section it says it is covered for the 12month warranty.

However, I noticed when checking this that it stated that 'a sales receipt is required for warranty validation'. As I only have the paypal receipt/credit card statement for this purchase, and the seller is saying he didnt have a receipt as it was an 'unwanted gift', will I have problems if there are any future issues or is the paypal receipt enough?

has anyone on this forum had to change/repair their imac and been asked for the sales receipt before apple would do this?

thanks
Zarf

FarSeide

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Earth Lane
You dont need a receipt to get your iMac serviced at Apple. Your serial number will be used and your 12 monty warranty begins on the date of the original owner's purchase date and not yours.

When you bring your imac in for service, you do not need to bring any receipts.

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey
You dont need a receipt to get your iMac serviced at Apple. Your serial number will be used and your 12 monty warranty begins on the date of the original owner's purchase date and not yours.

When you bring your imac in for service, you do not need to bring any receipts.

I used to work at a service centre and i can confirm that they look up the serial and determine if it is under warranty, no need to bring the receipt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.