Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WonderSausage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
So on the original Apple TV, I subscribed to video podcasts in iTunes, it downloaded them and synced to the Apple TV. I played them through the "My Podcasts" entry on the menu.

I know the new Apple TV can link to iTunes 10 and play my subscribed video podcasts from my computer, but what if I want to "go with the streaming flow", and just stream my video podcasts going forward instead of proactively downloading them?

Does my list of subscriptions sync somehow with the main Apple TV podcast menu? Or do I need to subscribe there separately? Does such a feature even exist, or is the new podcast menu merely browse-only functionality without subscriptions?

Can anybody enlighten me please?

Bufordt

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
They stream. Select your favorites and they are there. They stream from itunes store.

WonderSausage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
They stream. Select your favorites and they are there. They stream from itunes store.

Hm, but on iTunes there is no "subscribe but do not download this" concept that I'm aware of, so how do you subscribe to a video podcast if you want to stream it but not download it beforehand?

Bufordt

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
It works the say as the original apple tv. It's just not saved to an HDD on the new apple tv.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Hm, but on iTunes there is no "subscribe but do not download this" concept that I'm aware of, so how do you subscribe to a video podcast if you want to stream it but not download it beforehand?

If you want to stream from the Internet, you’re going to have to re-add your favorite podcasts to a “Favorites” sub-menu on the actual Apple TV. It’s really easy.

Otherwise, they’ll stream from your computer’s iTunes library like before except now they’re accessed under Computers -> Your Computer Name - > Podcasts instead of just Podcasts -> My Podcasts.

It’s the same Favorites menu that was on the original Apple TV except now it shows if there is a new episode.

Looks just like the TV Show favorites menu below except with podcasts.

Attachments

• Favorites.jpg
    Favorites.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.