Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
Nobody can really say for sure, but I'm going to say no, streaming from Netflix & Apple won't work particularly well. But if you have a good Wireless-N router, you could use it for streaming content within your house.

I have a 22Mbps line w/ Comcast, and I've been watching various types of content on my new AppleTV. Intra-network streaming works very well and it buffers fairly quickly, but streaming from the internet can be very slow. Netflix typically takes 45-60 seconds for an initial buffer, and then has to rebuffer within the first minute of playing the content. Youtube videos can take a long time to buffer as well, I tried to watch a 60 second video last night that took at least 60 seconds to buffer.

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC, Netflix requires a 5Mbps connection for streaming... I'm not sure if Apple has similar requirements.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
It works just fine. I have that package and it takes less than 60 seconds to start playing on Netflix.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Don't have an Apple TV yet. But on a 3mbps LAN connection my Xbox streams HD netflix movies without stopping to buffer throughout the entire movie. So yea the Apple TV should be fine.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The Apple TV buffers to the built in 8GB flash RAM so yes it will play the same as if you had a faster connection. The only difference is how long you will have to wait before a stream starts. With a 6 mbps connection, it starts playing in just a few seconds.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I only have a 1.5mbps line and Netflix works fne on my xbox. I only get about two bars of picture quality (out of four), but it's fine and sometimes it even streams in HD for a bit. YouTube also works fine for me and starts streaming with almost no wait time.

Streaming from your own PC has nothing to do with your Internet speed. Even if everything is wireless, you should have absolutely no problem streaming HD, probably even to multiple tvs at once.

So yeah, you should have no problems with your set up. Maybe don't expect HD from netflix all the time and there might be a bit of a wait for iTunes rentals (which doesn't adjust quality for speed), but it'll all work great.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
It doesn't matter what your speed is for streaming from iTunes. Netflix states 6mbps for HD.

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
OK, I just got my Apple TV on my 3 MBPS DSL. Netflix streams in HD ONLY by wire, even my Wireless N router in the same room is crapp quality. Itunes works fine.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
OK, I just got my Apple TV on my 3 MBPS DSL. Netflix streams in HD ONLY by wire, even my Wireless N router in the same room is crapp quality. Itunes works fine.

It's not your signal, it's (as I already stated) the fact that Netflix states that it needs at/around 6mb to play HD. It's quite unfortunate for those that can't play HD because there are often times a very big, noticable difference in quality in HD and SD on Netflix.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
iMJustAGuy said:
It's not your signal, it's (as I already stated) the fact that Netflix states that it needs at/around 6mb to play HD. It's quite unfortunate for those that can't play HD because there are often times a very big, noticable difference in quality in HD and SD on Netflix.

How would you tell the difference cause I use 3 Mbps connection and Netflix looks fine on my HDTV through appletv

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010

Actually it is my signal if you didn't understand me.

I get HD 100% all the time on 3mbps DSL if I connect it to my router by wire. If I use wireless N it doesn't do HD.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Actually it is my signal if you didn't understand me.

I get HD 100% all the time on 3mbps DSL if I connect it to my router by wire. If I use wireless N it doesn't do HD.
How would you tell the difference cause I use 3 Mbps connection and Netflix looks fine on my HDTV through appletv
You can tell when its HD ;)
Of course I can see the difference

I'm not one of those who care about and "can most definitely" tell the difference between 1080 and 720, in fact, I can BARELY tell the difference. However, I can most CERTAINLY tell the difference between Netflix "HD" and SD. The difference is that of watching a youtube video in 720 and then again in 360. It's big.

I just felt the need to state the previous because I didn't know if you were agreeing with me or being sarcastic, because it's quite clear a difference. And if you have never compared the two, trust me when I say, any "normal" eye could see the difference in a second.

Furthermore, to others that I have not quoted, I can kind of see what you are saying, I have a "15mbps" connection and 50% of the time (via wifi N on PS3 with the LOUSY WRT160N router) my netflix wants to play in SD. That's how I've had experience with the SD. Also, I was only saying the 6mbps for netflix HD because that is what they call a "requirement" on their site for HD. I assume that is just to be on the safe side. I highly doubt, though, that with anything less than 3mbps you will be able to stream in HD.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
iMJustAGuy said:
I'm not one of those who care about and "can most definitely" tell the difference between 1080 and 720, in fact, I can BARELY tell the difference. However, I can most CERTAINLY tell the difference between Netflix "HD" and SD. The difference is that of watching a youtube video in 720 and then again in 360. It's big.

I just felt the need to state the previous because I didn't know if you were agreeing with me or being sarcastic, because it's quite clear a difference. And if you have never compared the two, trust me when I say, any "normal" eye could see the difference in a second.

Furthermore, to others that I have not quoted, I can kind of see what you are saying, I have a "15mbps" connection and 50% of the time (via wifi N on PS3 with the LOUSY WRT160N router) my netflix wants to play in SD. That's how I've had experience with the SD. Also, I was only saying the 6mbps for netflix HD because that is what they call a "requirement" on their site for HD. I assume that is just to be on the safe side. I highly doubt, though, that with anything less than 3mbps you will be able to stream in HD.

I was just wondering because I only have 3 Mbps service and it seems my Netflix is HD. But I can't say for sure since even 480p DVD looks pretty good on my 50" plasma. With streaming media I'm not sure if it's 720p with ok bit rate or 480p with good bit rate.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
I was just wondering because I only have 3 Mbps service and it seems my Netflix is HD. But I can't say for sure since even 480p DVD looks pretty good on my 50" plasma. With streaming media I'm not sure if it's 720p with ok bit rate or 480p with good bit rate.

I think it is variable. I think there are many "levels" of quality when in SD mode because sometimes it's VERY grainy meaning (for whatever reason) it's not getting a good connection/bandwidth at that time, and others (while still in SD) it looks pretty decent. And when it's in HD, I think that is a set quality. I don't know why I would EVER be getting SD when I have a 15mbps connection and it's SD almost 75% of the time.

I can do a speed test.net test and it has been telling me around 8mb lately (which still SHOULD be MORE than enough) where before it was showing my paid for amount... if I go to speakeasy.net it always tells me I'm getting what I pay for. I sure don't feel like I'm getting it with generic usage though, don't even feel like I'm getting 8, for that matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.