Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heboil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Chalk up one more problem. Anyone have a small half-disc of translucent color on the bottom right of your screen when watching trailers? I have this spot pop up on every trailer I have played in the exact same spot. It looks like something is broken on my lcd panel, but the problem goes away on every other part of the Apple TV experience. At first I thought maybe it was some watermarking thing for copyright, but I believe it actually is just a problem. Can anyone confirm this either way?

Thanks.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I have seen the apple logo in that location on some trailers. Could it be that?

OsageCowboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
I have the same issue on my 1080p 52" Sony display. I think it has to do with Apple's formatting (or reformatting) of the 1080p movie trailers. I do not have the issue while viewing content like the ABC television shows or other movies.

SiskoKid

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
It's the apple logo cut off. I think they're pulling the trailers from online and the logo was never placed into a broadcast safe area since they were only meant to stream online. My tv cuts off the logo too but not as drastically as yours so I can tell it's the apple logo. It's just translucent grey.

That's all you're seeing. Hope that helps : D

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
It's the apple logo cut off. I think they're pulling the trailers from online and the logo was never placed into a broadcast safe area since they were only meant to stream online. My tv cuts off the logo too but not as drastically as yours so I can tell it's the apple logo. It's just translucent grey.

That's all you're seeing. Hope that helps : D

But with current TVs, broadcast-safe areas don't exist for all intents and purposes. The current crop of HDTVs doesn't suffer the overscan that the CRT SD TVS of the past did, so there is no such thing as a safe area...unless of course you are using a CRT monitor for viewing. An HDTV will display the entire 16:9 picture.

OP: Are you viewing your information in some sort of zoomed-in fashion? Just about every HDTV gives you the option to display the image 'standard'/full screen...zoomed in...or stretched (the final 2 options are for filling a 16:9 HD screen with 4:3 SD content). I'd recommend using the standard/full screen setting. Then you will be able to see that this is indeed the Apple logo. You will have the added benefit of not having a portion of your image cut-off.

OsageCowboy

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2010
UPDATE: I no longer have the problem while watching trailers. I think Apple must've fixed the problem on the trailers section.

The problem was a simple formatting issue and had to be easy to correct.

heboil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I still have the problem, BUT I went to the local Apple Store and they have the same problem too. The logo is cut-off in a different spot, but it is still cut-off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.