Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
I always thought that I'd be charged for the call and a little extra because of the video call. I talk to people abroad (USA) who also have iphone 4s but we use apps like fring and tango for facetime over wifi and sometimes 3g for free because normal phone calls would cost a fortune.

I just learned that apparently apples facetime is free because it uses our wifi? so its free just like a skype to skype call is free? If so I guess we don't need to use fring or tango if were on wifi right?

Thanks

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I always thought that I'd be charged for the call and a little extra because of the video call. I talk to people abroad (USA) who also have iphone 4s but we use apps like fring and tango for facetime over wifi and sometimes 3g for free because normal phone calls would cost a fortune.

I just learned that apparently apples facetime is free because it uses our wifi? so its free just like a skype to skype call is free? If so I guess we don't need to use fring or tango if were on wifi right?

Thanks

Correct, completely free as long as you actually start the call as a facetime call and not from inside a normal cell call.

ephailey

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
Correct, completely free as long as you actually start the call as a facetime call and not from inside a normal cell call.

How do you start a call as Facetime. I thought you had to start a call as a regular call and then if both parties are on wifi, you can push the Facetime button.

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
How do you start a call as Facetime. I thought you had to start a call as a regular call and then if both parties are on wifi, you can push the Facetime button.

View the contact info and scroll down to "FaceTime"

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
If you start as a regular call are you only charged for the time that you are on regular service before you switch to facetime?

it has to be. facetime would need to switch from 3G to wifi to operate.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
If you start as a regular call are you only charged for the time that you are on regular service before you switch to facetime?

yes, when the facetime starts, you're not charged anymore. ain't that cool?

better to press the facetime button to initiate the call, so you are not charged at all.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

From what I understand, the very first FaceTime call you make has to be initiated via cell. (I made my first one so long ago I don't remember now how it actually worked)
After that, if you just use the FaceTime button, no cell minutes are ever used and it is free wifi to wifi. That part, I am sure of!

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
From what I understand, the very first FaceTime call you make has to be initiated via cell. (I made my first one so long ago I don't remember now how it actually worked)
After that, if you just use the FaceTime button, no cell minutes are ever used and it is free wifi to wifi. That part, I am sure of!

no u shouldn't do that, just find a contact, press the blue arrow, and then u can find a facetime button to initiate the call.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
no u shouldn't do that, just find a contact, press the blue arrow, and then u can find a facetime button to initiate the call.

Too late now for me, but maybe someone else can benefit from this approach!:)

Bottom line is that FaceTime 'calls' themselves are free!

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies. On the adverts they always show off facetime but never mention its free. So how long do you think it will be before we can do a nornal phonecall for free over wifi without using apps like skype?

When I choose a contact then press the facetime button it says choose facetime option which also lists there email address. Can I facetime an ipod touch 4 or iphone4 user via there email from my iphone 4 and vice versa? If so how does it work? Do they need to have my email saved on my contact on their phone?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.