Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
What software for the mac you recommend to tag for movies that you backup with handbrake so they show up nicely on your new apple tv with information and movie cover?

Thanks

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Assuming you mean for OSX... I like MetaX or Subler.

I use MetaX for TV shows (you can tag batches)
I use Subler (more tagging options including HD tags and editing CnID.

I bet you will hear these two names a lot.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
MetaX is also available on window. I just started using it and love it. It does support HD tags and templates, searches, ... Before this i was using the atomicparsley command line, so this was a huge leap forward for me.

egorka

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
MetaX is also ported to windows.

Make sure to encode in Apple TV Legacy or else MetaX won't tag it.. Not sure about the other packages.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
MetaX is also available on window. I just started using it and love it. It does support HD tags and templates, searches, ... Before this i was using the atomicparsley command line, so this was a huge leap forward for me.

Windows Metax does support HD tagging, however Mac does not. OP what are you running?

Also, if you are running a Mac, Subler is developed by one of the HB dev team members, if that is of any consequence to you.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
MetaX you serious ? it's mega poor app hasn't been updated in years.

Check out iDentify, iFlicks or MetaZ all blow away MetaX

OptyCT

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
I use Subler. Yeah, there's no documentation, but if you play around with it, it's very easy to use. Here are the basics:

1.) Rip a movie
2.) Launch Subler (you'll see the Subler icon in the dock)
3.) Open Finder and locate the movie file you want to tag
4.) Drag the movie file to the Subler icon on the dock - Subler will open
5.) Click on the magnifying glass icon in the top right corner
6.) Type in the movie name that you're looking to tag - hit enter
7.) Select the tag file you want to use - hit the "Add" button
8.) Clicking any blank line under "Chapter Track", etc., will show you the "Metadata", "Artwork", and "Other Settings" buttons.
9.) All of this info can be manually edited by double-clicking the field
10.) To change the artwork, double-click the artwork field, and hit "delete" to clear the field. You can then find artwork online (I prefer themoviedb.org), copy the image, and paste it into Subler's artwork field using "Command-V"
11.) Note: for those who intend on putting their movies on the iPad, check the "Create Preview Images" box under Subler's preferences. This will create those chapter preview images that you see for iPad videos
12.) Once all of the tagging information is to your liking, select "File-Save"
13.) Important: after you save it, select "File-Optimize" to finish the tagging operation
14.) Your file is now tagged. Enjoy!

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
From what I understand MetaX is not being actively supported on the Mac. Not sure about the Windows version. If it only works with Legacy Apple TV encodes that tells you something right there. Handbrake deprecated that quite a while ago.

iFlicks looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
iFlicks looks interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

It's the app of my choice, it's by far the best tagger around and it integrates with iTunes perfectly. Has every single feature you could ask for.

Not free but worth every cent.

Looking for something free the iDentify is excellent.

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
I used to use MetaX but stopped for some reason that I can't remember. I've since been using Subler, which did something that MetaX didn't do, but I can't remember what. But the last couple days I've been using iDentify 2.0 and I think I like it better except it doesn't add thumbnail pics to chapter markers like Subler. However iDentify does auto title chapters, which Subler doesn't do. So....I guess I'll use them both.

pedz

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
Was not aware MetaX was not supported, will have to look at that. I understand most people on this thread are using mac, but any other recommendations for the PC? The others listed appear to be mac only.

Thanks,
Peter

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It's the app of my choice, it's by far the best tagger around and it integrates with iTunes perfectly. Has every single feature you could ask for.

Not free but worth every cent.

Looking for something free the iDentify is excellent.

Ok I think I might try it. Have you used it with EyeTV by any chance? If so, what is your workflow like?

ojk7

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
I would definitely invest in iFlicks it is regularly updated and I have had far fewer issues with it than MetaX, it's well worth the cost if you regularly encode movies or tv shows.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I would definitely invest in iFlicks it is regularly updated and I have had far fewer issues with it than MetaX, it's well worth the cost if you regularly encode movies or tv shows.

I use to use MetaX which had replaced Lostify, and have been using iFlicks at around a year now. Great product, does more then just metadata, though I only use that feature. Extremely well supported. The developer is very responsive on email.

Cant recommend it enough.

guywoodman7

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
So I have a pretty large library of movies. All dvd rips and encoded to ATV friendly mp4s.

Can any of the apps were talking about in this thread batch tag already encodes mp4s?

I'm just trying to avoid having to tag every movie, one by one.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
MetaX you serious ? it's mega poor app hasn't been updated in years.

Check out iDentify, iFlicks or MetaZ all blow away MetaX

MetaX has been routinely updated for Windows. That's what I always use, have never had a problem with it either. Works great for me.

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
So I have a pretty large library of movies. All dvd rips and encoded to ATV friendly mp4s.

Can any of the apps were talking about in this thread batch tag already encodes mp4s?

I'm just trying to avoid having to tag every movie, one by one.

I just bought iFlicks and it works very well for tagging. I pointed the program at a folder of about 35 recent movies and it had no problem tagging all at once. I then imported the movies into iTunes.

Took me while to figure out how to do it because I don't see any real online manual...but it worked so much better than MetaX.

techguy40

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
Does iFlicks work well with the New Apple TV? Does it do a better job than handbrake when converting?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i've used metax for my 1000+ movies and tv shows. it has never failed me. some of these other options look worthy of consideration though.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Sorry for my newbness but what is tagging? I just converted over from windows as a new mac user. I have 3 tb of movies and asst video files most of which are avi,xvid,divx,etc and dont work in my itunes. I just got the new apple tv and would love to convert them, or is tagging them another way without converting?

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Sorry for my newbness but what is tagging? I just converted over from windows as a new mac user. I have 3 tb of movies and asst video files most of which are avi,xvid,divx,etc and dont work in my itunes. I just got the new apple tv and would love to convert them, or is tagging them another way without converting?

Tagging means embedding metadata into your files. That is, information other than audio/visual information pertaining to the video. For instance, an mp3... the artist, album title, album artwork, year of release, lyrics, etc. is tagging. It's the digital equivalent of artwork on a DVD case.

I strongly suggest using mp4 video as your format of choice since it can hold the tags within the files. If I delete a video from iTunes and add it back, all the album art, chapter marks, director, actor, producer info is still in the file, I don't have to re-add it.

You may lose a tad of quality, but odds are that with those types of files they're not that great of quality to start with. I don't think you'll lose that much quality in the long run and you'll have the benefit of being able to add them to iTunes, iPods, Apple TV, etc.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Tagging means embedding metadata into your files. That is, information other than audio/visual information pertaining to the video. For instance, an mp3... the artist, album title, album artwork, year of release, lyrics, etc. is tagging. It's the digital equivalent of artwork on a DVD case.

I strongly suggest using mp4 video as your format of choice since it can hold the tags within the files. If I delete a video from iTunes and add it back, all the album art, chapter marks, director, actor, producer info is still in the file, I don't have to re-add it.

You may lose a tad of quality, but odds are that with those types of files they're not that great of quality to start with. I don't think you'll lose that much quality in the long run and you'll have the benefit of being able to add them to iTunes, iPods, Apple TV, etc.
Thanks. So which one should I get? And by tagging them do I have to convert the file type to or does it do that for me when its tagged. Thanks

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I don't think the avi files can hold tags that can be read by several programs. Plus, iTunes doesn't have built-in support for such files... my suggestion is to either convert them all to mp4 with Handbrake (you can put all your avi files in a folder, then use Handbrake to queue them all up to convert while you are asleep, at work, etc.), then use MetaX along with iTunes to tag them.

If you don't want to convert them, then I'd use a catalog program that can sort and name your files in a nice interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.