Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graymalkin26

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Anyone have issues with Mac Office 2011 Outlook Crashing. Every time I install and attempt to use Outlook it starts and freezes about 15-20 seconds in. All the other aspects of Office work fine except Outlook...any solutions to this issue.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I've had it crash once in about a week's use...but Entourage with all latest updates used to do that too...when Office 2008 first came out Entourage would crash several times a day (usually when trying to download pictures in the preview pane), but updates have made it a little more stable as time went on.

zerosomething

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
USA
Anyone have issues with Mac Office 2011 Outlook Crashing. Every time I install and attempt to use Outlook it starts and freezes about 15-20 seconds in. All the other aspects of Office work fine except Outlook...any solutions to this issue.

If you let it set for about 2 minutes will it come back to life? Assuming you are using it for access to an Exchange system. This may be related to the number of groups you have in your organization. If you have several hundred then it's a problem in the LDAP (Directory Services) lookup that Entourage/Outlook is doing.

Also check your Directory Services (LDAP) setting. You probably need to use SSL. It may be having problems with the lookup because SSL isn't on and your system needs it.

jmonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Mac Office 2011 Outlook Crashing

Installed Mac Office 2011 this morning, super excited to get past Entourage. But after Outlook installed, it's already crashed twice. The center pane keeps moving up and down by itself and combines unrelated emails. Am rebuilding my database now (but assume it did that when I installed it a couple of hours ago). All other Office apps work great. No Exchange, just 1 IMAP and 2 POP accounts.

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I've had Outlook 2011 since this morning as well but no crashes on my end. I have 2 imap accounts.

jmonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Disable Account Mac Outlook 2011

Is there a way to disable an account? I'd like to try and disable all of my accounts and restart them one at a time. If I delete the account, does it delete the emails that went with it?

jmonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Mac Office 2011 Outlook Crashing; How to uninstall

OK, thanks for the tips so far. I deleted all of my email accounts except one, but it still crashes. I'd like to start from scratch but can't find a way to uninstall Outlook (along with corresponding data file(s) so I can reinstall it. I tried the Outlook 2008 > Additional Tools > Remove Office, but it says "No Versions of Office Found".

1. How do I uninstall Mac Outlook 2011?
2. How do I find/delete the associated mail file(s)/folder(s)?

jmonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

Well, yes and no... Moving the Office 2011 folder to the trash removes the application, but not the database.

Here is a great link about the database, how it grows, where it is and how to remove it (say, if you can't rebuild it)...

http://www.officeformachelp.com/2010/10/outlook-outlook-how-does-your-database-grow/

Now, I'll try to reinstall it without doing a migration and manually move the emails over.

Thanks for your help!

craigWU

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
related to Safari???

We've been experiencing this problem for a few weeks now, both on Entourage as well as Outlook 2011. It seems to us to be related to the new version of Safari 5.0.2.

We've done some pretty heavy testing, and we can only get it to crash when we are on machines running Safari 5.0.2. When we use machines running 5.0.1 or earlier, we don't get the abends. Also, our users running Entourage say it just started happening a month or so ago, and that is when Safari 5.0.2 was installed. Finally, if you look at the traces, we see WebCore mentioned in Thread0.

Just to be consistent, here is the abend:

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION
Date/Time: 2010-11-02 12:22:12 -0500
Application Name: Microsoft Outlook
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Version: 14.0.0.100825
Crashed Module Name: libobjc.A.dylib
Crashed Module Version: unknown
Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000f4b4
Blame Module Name: libobjc.A.dylib
Blame Module Version: unknown
Blame Module Offset: 0x0000f4b4
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0

Can anyone confirm these findings, and does anyone have any ideas how this could be fixed?

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Outlook - very disappointed

So far so bad with Outlook. Missing resend message button, screens only offer limited ability to configure, where is the promised stationery feature, stability poor, no download progress indicator. Have sent a technical query to MS and got a reply back referring me to links that did not work or provided nil information. Less use than a chocolate teapot. Sent a follow up query asking for a proper reply but no response so far.

MS living up to their user unfriendly reputation.

Wilson

jmonthego

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010

Hi Wilson,

I more or less ditched Outlook and back to Mac Mail (which is SO basic, but at least it is consistent).

I've also had OutlookMac2011 configured for IMAP but when it downloads the email, it deletes it from the server (so I can't read it in WebMail). The whole Microsoft email experience is painful.

Good luck - I'm monitoring this thread and hoping someone shows up with the magic.

dangdude

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2010
we need safari 5.01 installers for mac

We have experienced the same thing and it's definitely a conflict with Safari 5.02 and Entourage/Outlook 11. Does anybody have a copy of the 5.01 safari installers. We can't find them anywhere.

baseline01

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009

cpguru21

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Using outlook 2011 for approx a week now. Have periodic crashes with error reports sent to microsoft.

Cannot find specific pattern to crash. Sometimes its when I am filing a message in imap folder, sometimes composing a message. Not happening very often though (or enough to rely annoy me yet).

Initial setup was far faster than any other program ive used so far. very quick to syn with my mail server. Hope an update comes out soon to support calendar sync.

Anyone know if the calendar side of outlook will eventually support caldav?

So far like outlook 2011 but seems to need some updates. Good start IMHO.

rbodman

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
Outlook 2011 crashes

I am having the same crashes as others are reporting. After starting Outlook on one of five identically set up Macs, Outlook will generate a message after a minute or two saying, "Microsoft Outlook must be closed because an error occurred. Any unsaved work may be lost". This does not happen on any of the other machines.

digitalred

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
USA
Outlook 2011 Completely unimpressed

I recently installed Office 2011 for the MAC on my MacBook Pro and the Outlook 2011 application has been a complete disappointment (I guess I should not be surprised after all it is Microsoft). In any event, I was previously running Office 2008 for the MAC for the past couple of years which of course uses the Entourage 2008 mail application and for the most part worked fairly well (missing a number of features I would like but at least it was stable). By default Office 2011 installed as a separate set of applications not over writing the Office 2008 install. It then imported all Entourage 2008 messages, calendar, task etc functions into Outlook 2011 without any apparent issues or errors reported.

Lets set aside the fact that Outlook 2011 zaps performance, it is really nothing but a re-incarnated version of Entourage 2008 with a few minor capabilities, the most useful is the ability to import .pst files it has continuously crashed every night while idle (it has not missed a night in two weeks). There are no apparent errors reported and no apparent issues that I can tell that would account for it. It has been stable during the day running for up to 16 hours with out any problems.

Other items I have observed with Outlooks 2011 are:

• Slow performance sorting columns
  • Rules that don't seem to work
  • No way to create additional .olm files
  • No way to have multiple color flags
  • No way to use stationary (background color by default)
  • Can't use Home, End keys without a hack
  • Help is all but completely useless

In short Microsoft has once again been long on promise and short on delivery. If my company wasn't so integrated with Exchange it would not concern me, but it is.

As for the other three application, I have not had any issues with them so far.

15" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz i7, 8gb Ram, 500gb HD
Snow Leopard 10.6.5 fully updated and patch
Office 2011 fully updated and patched

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
The fix for the crashing is:

Make sure you upgraded to the latest OSX currently 10.6.5
Update OFM to 14.0.1
MOST IMPORTANTLY reinstall Safari (download from apple and reinstall)

This should eliminate the crashing...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Used Office 2008 and Entourage. It was okay...then 2011 came out, and had high hopes. Personally, I think it's garbage. OL2011 is meh; not overly impressed at all. The ribbons look better, but OL still looks a forced effort of trying to get it to look like a native OSX app. Excel is slow, as is Word. Still buggy even after the update to 14.0.1.

I'll stick with Mail, iCal, and iWork.

digitalred

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2010
USA
Thanks JMS969 ---- I have alread done that with the same results. I am currently running the following:

Operating System = OSX 10.6.5
Outlook 2011 = 14.0.2
Safari = Downloaded and re-installed Safari as suggested.

System still crashes every night when left running. No scheduled functions taking place at that time, I just leave it up and running over night.

Thanks for you assistance.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The fix for the crashing is:

Make sure you upgraded to the latest OSX currently 10.6.5
Update OFM to 14.0.1
MOST IMPORTANTLY reinstall Safari (download from apple and reinstall)

This should eliminate the crashing...

solo12986

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011

Also downloaded latest updates:

Outlook 2011: 14.0.2
Safari: re-downloaded, re-installed 5.0.3

Outlook still crashes, bounces on the dock for about 1-2 seconds, then force closes/crash. Initially, about a week ago when the crash first occured, the Mac OSX prompted for a rebuild of the database (im guessing outlook DB). After about 2 rebuilds, I am stuck at the point I am at now. Bouncing and crashing. Any suggestions? Maybe a full uninstall of OfficeMac2011? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks JMS969 ---- I have alread done that with the same results. I am currently running the following:

Operating System = OSX 10.6.5
Outlook 2011 = 14.0.2
Safari = Downloaded and re-installed Safari as suggested.

System still crashes every night when left running. No scheduled functions taking place at that time, I just leave it up and running over night.

Thanks for you assistance.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sufferrar

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
Got same problem, here is how I fixed mine.

Outlook 2011 on 2010 Macbook air has never open. A window pops up asking if you'd like to report the crash to Microsoft.
I reinstalled office a number of times until I got fed up and decided to do some experimenting.
I used app zapper to get rid of office, then did a spotlight search for "office" and "outlook". Anything that shows up that has to do with office or outlook ends up in the trash. Empty trash and reinstall.
BOOM , it works, going on 3 weeks without a single crash.

mykstor

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Los Angeles, California
Outlook 2011 Mac still crashes... April 13, 2011

I've read all the postings going way back about rotten Outlook Mac crashing, but nothing I've read applies.

I'm not ready to trash it just yet, but I'm getting close...

Mine worked fine for months. Then one day it crashed saying it needed to rebuild its database. I let it do that.

Now, every few days, seemingly at random and usually while I'm in the midst of composing a fairly lengthy email, suddenly I'll get a notice:

"Outhouse had to quit due to an error"

The Microsoft a'holes are too arrogant to even provide an error code.

At least when I relaunch it, it manages to have saved my work in progress.

I've read the posts about Safari being involved, but usually I don't have that launched as I like using Firefox 4.

I'm most appreciative for any assistance!

Mike Storer, Los Angeles

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.