Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Not sure when this started as there were long stretches (few weeks) where I didn't check my usage times on my phone. However, the past few days I've been noticing that my phone is displaying my usage time as my standby time and the battery draining inordinately fast.

For example, right now, my phone shows standby time as 3 hrs and 33 minutes (which is correct from the time I took my phone off the charger this morning). It's also showing my usage time as 3 hrs and 13 minutes. I haven't hardly used my phone at all this morning yet the battery is down to 70%.

I always have push OFF on my phone and set to fetch data manually. Yet the other night, I was awakened in the middle of the night by e-mail notifications.

Could push somehow be "on" even though I have it turned off? Even if that was the case, push being on doesn't count as "usage" time, does it?

For the record my phone is jailbroken on 4.0 but I really don't have a ton of stuff in terms of jailbreak on it. I have SBsettings, 3G unrestrictor, MyWi, iBlacklist, Flashlight, Resupported, and DisplayOut installed on it

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Could be a glitch. Try 'Reset All Settings' and 'Reset all Network Settings' both under Settings> General> Reset to see if that changes anything.

(this will not erase any vital information from your phone)

willsoriano

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Did it fix it?

I got iOS 5 and it's happening. I remember it doing it on 4.3and I got my phone replaced. There has got to be an easy way of fixing this.

danny7

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Hi,

When I was having the Same problem with Standby and Usage Times and a very short Battery Life… I tried the usual fixes...

Restart

Reset

Restore (from Backup)

The Only thing that eventually Worked (for me) was to do a Restore as New…

Very Easy and Straight Forward… and the phone has been performing Brilliantly ever since....:)

willsoriano

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
when you restore as new does that mean installing all your calanders and contacts and apps 1 at a time, or full system restore loading the firm ware choosing as new then when complete restoring from back up?

Superman80

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
London
I find this occasionally happens to me after I have used whatsapp, usually i just close that fully or power down and that seems to work

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I had this happen to me once. What I did was recalibrate the battery.

Kill your battery until your phone shuts off on its own. Then, plug your phone into AC power (it works much faster) and let it charge completely to 100% while not using it (this is important). Once fully charged use as usual and hopefully your problem will be solved!

A lot better than restoring :)

Last edited:

paulb7024

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Battery life issue resolved but for how long.....

My iPhone4 suddenly developed the rapid battery drain problem - 100%-0 in 9 hours with no use and all push, notifications and wifi switched off. Tried a few of the suggestions regarding mail, calendar and contacts, reboot etc but no difference. Did a complete restore and hey presto, battery back to normal. 100%-95% in 11 hours so far with wifi and 3G switched on. :)

I have only put a few 3rd party apps back on my phone (56 deleted) but I honestly don't think that was the problem as I hadn't added anything new prior to the battery problem developing. Very odd! Has Apple made any comments on this obviously quite common experience? I had updated to OS 4.3.5 following the problem starting but this didn't help.

phoebetoes

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Im having this problem too, on my JB'n 3GS running 4.3.5 I have to boot tethered. Is this the same as a hard reset, which will hopefully fix the problem? Many thanks!

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
My wife's phone does this occasionally and the culprit on almost all occasions is the Facebook app. I don't know why but the only thing I have to do is to kill the app in the multitasking tray and reboot the phone and it is fixed. I have only done the restore as new only once when I didn't know what it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.