Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
I'm just curious if anyone is still content with CS3 and/or not totally sold on the features provided in CS5 and just waiting for CS6.

Matty-p

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
I'm just curious if anyone is still content with CS3 and/or not totally sold on the features provided in CS5 and just waiting for CS6.
my school use cs3 (they brought it a week before cs4 release !!) theres no need for them to upgrade as it provides all features needed and more atm. but i use a cs5 trial and its a pain down converting to cs3 to use the file at school. i am waiting for cs6 as i will buy it as soon as it comes out im not sure if i should buy cs5 when my trial ends in 21 days beacause it wont be long till cs6 and in a few months time it'll be practially obselete ! :rolleyes:

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
I will probably skip cs6 all together. I bought cs4 just under a month before cs5 was announced so I called Adobe and got cs5 at no charge, even free 2 day shipping. I will likely run cs5 for a couple more years, then up to whatever the most current reason.

IMO the only reason to upgrade is if your finding things you can't do with your current version. I actually liked running cs3

Zoreke

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010

Hi, I use CS4 and I'm waiting for CS6 to upgrade, in the real world most printers still use CS3 and you have save documents back to an older version (this destroys radial gradients and transparency).

At work we always skip one version and get the even numbered ones... I wonder if they will ever make illustrator faster or 64 bits or any speed imporvements at all...

The reality if you know how to use the software you can do anything with any CS version...

Cheers
:)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Me. CS3 user considering CS5 upgrade, but not for sure. I'm comfortable with CS3 features. Only what is tempting me to upgrade: compatibility (sometimes I got files from higher versions) and 64bit PS (memory usage).

UTclassof89

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I use CS4 on a PPC G5; not upgrading to CS5 so I can tease another year or two out of a great computer (and as with most Adobe upgrades, there's only one or two neat features in each software--I can definitely do without)

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
CS3 (Design Standard) user here. I will not upgrade, since I do have all functions I need for my everyday work. Since I am a freelancer it is not financial worth to invest into an upgrade for now. Most people who I work with, use CS3 or older versions and CorelDRAW. Only one of my partners had upgraded his Adobe CS1 to CS4 before a year and half ago.

I am also intensively testing Inkscape, Gimp and Scribus for some of my real works. These applications are quite capable already and every quarter they are gaining more functions and are really becomming more and more usable.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2009
Planning on buying Design Premium CS5. It will be more than sufficient for my needs for quite a while.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
If you want the cheaper upgrade pricing for CS 5 you need at least CS 2.

If Adobe are being logical (!) then that would suggest to me if you have CS 3 then your last chance to upgrade for a “reasonable” fee will be when CS 6 is released.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I'm still on CS3 (Photoshop Extended, Flash Pro) because I'm tired of paying horrendous upgrade fees. I'm also not using those apps for business purposes, so I'm not representative anyway.

You know what? I'm thinking about sitting all those commercial upgrade orgies out and move to Linux and other Open Source software one of these days. I use it at work a lot and it already does most of the things that I need very well.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
I'm still using CS3 Web Premium alongside InDesign CS2 and occasionally GoLive CS2 for some legacy sites I manage.

The main reason I haven't bothered upgrading is I'm still on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 (2005) on 10.5.8 which I'm eeking out to the bitter end.

I do like the look of some of the features of CS5, especially Illustrator and this pixel-grid thing - that's been needed for a while.

I will have to upgrade soon, trouble is it will be the double-whammy of hardware and software at the same time. I'm looking at £850-ish for the upgrade to CS5 then another £1500-ish depending on which Mac I go for.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
I used version 7 until 10.5 killed it, then I used CS2 even though that didn't really want to work under 10.5/10.6 (had to install in 10.4 and upgrade to 10.5-10.6).... now I'm using CS5 because work purchased it for me. Besides the smart object functionality being missing, Photoshop 7 does everything I need. In fact, before moving to PS7, I mostly used Photoshop 3.0 under Mac OS 9 and earlier (and briefly a borrowed copy of 6.0 under Classic).

While I can't really be sure, I think the two features I use routinely that weren't in version 3, are saving a file to PNG and smart objects.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
CS5 gets the job done. For CS6, I'm waiting to see if Adobe gets with the program and rewrites their software to be "core-aware". It is really frustrating that the current offering doesn't even efficiently utilize 4 cores.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
CS5 gets the job done. For CS6, I'm waiting to see if Adobe gets with the program and rewrites their software to be "core-aware". It is really frustrating that the current offering doesn't even efficiently utilize 4 cores.

I am sure Adobe will "get with the program" right after Apple finally re-writes its Pro software to do the same :rolleyes: It is going to be a long time until software natively supports 6 - 12 cores.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA

This is the reason why I haven't upgraded yet. While I can certainly afford CS5 Master, I am voting with my dollar for them to make more than just incremental improvements over 3 years.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
I'm still on CS3, bought it right after they were announced. Not too fond with CS4 or CS5 b/c of their shoddy UI changes and bloatware. I think CS3 is the only latest app that isn't bloat and still in a good shape.

I am still waiting for the next pixelmator app to have layered styles and better text control. They're very close to be true Photoshop killer. Otherwise, it'd be cool to see if Apple created their own Photoshop killer too :)

Pixelmator + Coda = win-win situation :)

funter

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
I'm on CS3 and I'm happy with that - the price of these upgrades is outrageous. Will I definitely be able to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out?

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
I'm on CS3 and I'm happy with that - the price of these upgrades is outrageous. Will I definitely be able to upgrade to CS6 when it comes out?

Nobody knows for sure. Currently, people who own CS2 are still eligible to upgrade to CS5. So the general thought is that they allow 3 versions back to upgrade.

I think you'll be safe.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I stopped upgrading at CS3. It works well enough for me. I'm finding that people are less and less critical of documents. My printer used to require InDesign files. Now he's happy with PDF. I may even start doing simple things in Pages. I rarely print more that 50 copies of anything or more than a 4 page layout.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I am still on CS3, not interested in CS4 upgrade, but was considering CS5, mostly because I use flash quite frequently.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
I upgraded to cs5 from 4 a few weeks back. To be honest i hardly notice the changes. The day to day stuff, which cs3 had, is what I use 99 percent of the time. I mainly upgrade because I use a lot of files supplied to me by graphic designers so my upgrading is as much for their convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.