Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Please can someone help me because this is driving me nuts!

I am ripping DVD's and I have a Season set of Hustle (aired in UK). So I have 2 discs with 3 episodes each on them. Here is the problem.

I load them in Handbrake then select the chapter that contains all 3 episodes. It takes 2hrs or so (or quicker), saves as m4v but will not play in iTunes or Quicktime.

So - exactly the same settings then, I load each chapter separately, Handbrake does it's stuff and Viola! - it works fine!

Why will it not convert the 1 chapter with all 3 episodes in yet will rip an episode separately with no problem?

I have tried everything and cannot figure this out!

Please help if you can.

Thanks

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Are you selecting a title (i.e. a show) with three chapters, or are you ripping all the episodes into on file? If you're ripping all three episodes into one file, take a look at the m4v file size.

If the resulting file is over 4GB, you have to check the large file tickbox before encoding for compatability. This would explain why all three ripped into one file is large and won't play, but each episode encoded individually is smaller in size and will play fine.

If this is not the issue, then I have no idea.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Are you selecting a title (i.e. a show) with three chapters, or are you ripping all the episodes into on file? If you're ripping all three episodes into one file, take a look at the m4v file size.

If the resulting file is over 4GB, you have to check the large file tickbox before encoding for compatability. This would explain why all three ripped into one file is large and won't play, but each episode encoded individually is smaller in size and will play fine.

If this is not the issue, then I have no idea.

Thanks, that worked. I had not got large file selected so that was the problem. One more question if you don't mind . . .

I selected the one file in Handbrake which contained all 3 episodes. However, when I load the file in iTunes - it goes straight to the 1st episode. There is no menu screen like there would be if you were playing the DVD in your player. i.e. Episode 1 - title etc. Now I realize that the titles are a separate file because I can see it in Handbrake as title 2, 12 secs or so, but is there a way to add this file to the outputted file containing the 3 episodes so that I can choose the episode I want when playing back?

Thanks

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
You wont get menus from Handbrake.
it just rips the chapters of the actual movie itself.
your best bet is to rip each episode individually and select it specifically in iTunes/AppleTV

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
your best bet is to rip each episode individually and select it specifically in iTunes/AppleTV

I honestly think there isn't another way. Not until someone makes an iTunes Extras maker that's simple and easy to use -- an maybe not even with that.

baconroll

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010

Thanks for that - I guessed as much. Will go down that route rather than rip them together. At least I can select the episode I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.