Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Hi,

the SIM I bought came with a PIN (which I know). When activating the iPhone, it says that you have to enter a SIM without a PIN. Unfortunately, all the other cell phones around me are netlocked so I can't just remove the PIN with one of them.

Can I activate my iPhone with a PIN-locked SIM card?

Thanks!

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I have a PIN locked SIM.

Do you not get the option to unlock it after it warns you that it is SIM locked and not insert a SIM without a PIN?

If you do, then type it in, then pull the cable and then plug it back in after a couple of seconds. This should get around that as this is what I do.

If it doesn't work, you might just need to get a pre-pay SIM. Or use a friends

sirslaysalot

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
popped up with the usual sim unlock box. unlocked but it still had that itunes + cable logo. had to disconnect + reconnect before it could get activated.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Hi,

the SIM I bought came with a PIN (which I know). When activating the iPhone, it says that you have to enter a SIM without a PIN. Unfortunately, all the other cell phones around me are netlocked so I can't just remove the PIN with one of them.

Can I activate my iPhone with a PIN-locked SIM card?

Thanks!

If your iPhone is unlocked, why not just activate it with one of the SIM cards from the other phones?

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
If your iPhone is unlocked, why not just activate it with one of the SIM cards from the other phones?

That's what I ended up doing, they were all mini-SIMs though (not micro-SIMs), so I had to cut the SIMs. Luckily, I found an old, useless SIM, so I used that. My iPhone now works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.