Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DreadAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys.

I bought a microphone, and plugged it into my Microphone input, but nothing worked.. I tried everything. Although, my microphone does work on my old windows laptop.

I then took my laptop to the apple store and saw a genius. He plugged his iPhone into the microphone port and it could record music fine from the iPhone. So.. no problems with the port.

I then bought a headset with a microphone on it, which uses the line-in and headphone ports and still nothing works. Although this headset works flawlessly on my old windows laptop again.

Someone please help. I have checked all settings, tried to record in Audacity and Garageband. I've made sure everything is on and working.. There's nothing wrong with the port either.

Please help!
-DreadAlert-

DreadAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I checked the settings for Garageband but I'll try the settings in Audacity now.

But it SHOULD pick up sound in System Preferences > Sound > Input > Build In Input, right?

DreadAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
There's an on and off thing on the wire, along with volume. But I don't think thats powered at all.

Does it matter? I mean it works fine on my windows PC so it works without power.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I thought as a general rule, normal microphones do not work on the Mac as it's a Line-in rather than a Mic connection. You'll most likely need a pre amp of some sort to convert from Mic to Line.

Not too sure where to look, but I'm sure i've seen some USB based solutions here.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I thought as a general rule, normal microphones do not work on the Mac as it's a Line-in rather than a Mic connection. You'll most likely need a pre amp of some sort to convert from Mic to Line.

Not too sure where to look, but I'm sure i've seen some USB based solutions here.

Correct, should have though of that. You need either a mixer, that powers the mic if necessary or another device to go through to use the Line-in of any device. You probably used the mic-in on the PC's sound card I suppose.

DreadAlert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Ahh i see..
I'll try and take this headset back then and get a USB headset instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.