Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluesTank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Hey everyone,

It has only been about 3 weeks since I got my new alum macbook, and they keys are already all shiny and disgusting looking. It is not like I have greasy hands or anything, and I have been regularly wiping them off.

I used the microfiber cloth that came with the macbook, but no matter how much I rub it on the keys, they wont clean. Does anyone know why it does this, and have a suggestion for cleaning them? I don't want to buy any kind of special macbook cleaning products because honestly I think that is pure BS.

thanks

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Admit it, we all have greasy fingers...

But yes, I admit that this annoys me as well. I'm not completely pissed because I expected this from previous MB owners - I'm just thankful the keyboard isn't white! From what I've heard, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is good for cleaning discoloured white keys... I imagine it would be equally as good on black keys.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I use the wet naps/wipes that you can buy from Walmart or supermarket. They have a little bit of soap to help wipe down the grease (on both your fingers and keyboard), but not so much to leave any residue.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Unfortunately you can't prevent it in the long run.

Half the reason the keys get "shiny" is because the plastic itself starts to wear out and discolor.

Avizzv92

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
I always figured the keys got shiny from A: Greasy fingers and B: The same reason pebbles in water get smooth after awhile, Figured the constant touching of the keys smoothed out the plastic and gave it a shine kinda like a very fine sand paper...

You should see the keyboards at my school, now those are disgusting :( Luckly my computer teacher has hand sanitizer...

thanachai

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
I'm also in the same disappointing boat as you guys. I wash my hands ritually before using my macbook. Hopefully the glass track pad won't do this. Was at a coffee shop today and noticed the bright glare from a worn down blackbook track pad :( Do you think Apple should just make them shiny from the start? I switched over from PC and my Vaio had factory shiny keys. I'm sure it got "shinier" over time but at least it gave the illusion that I wasn't wearing it down as fast as this.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
i wipe my keyboard every day with some monster i clean
thats the only way to prevent it

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm also in the same disappointing boat as you guys. I wash my hands ritually before using my macbook. Hopefully the glass track pad won't do this. Was at a coffee shop today and noticed the bright glare from a worn down blackbook track pad :( Do you think Apple should just make them shiny from the start? I switched over from PC and my Vaio had factory shiny keys. I'm sure it got "shinier" over time but at least it gave the illusion that I wasn't wearing it down as fast as this.

Don't worry, the shine gives the MB some character ;)

In the end, I rather have a shiny functional MB, then one that doesn't work at all. Take some consolation in that.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I use the same stuff I use to wash my screen and the whole laptop. Some kind of weak surface/glass cleaner. I'm pretty sure that the trackpad won't get shiny as it's made out of ruffed out glass. And glass is much harder than our fingers :p. Mind you, the keys will probably get shiny at some point.

rkrskr

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
You could consider using iKlear. I use it on my Macbook aluminum once a week and the keyboard looks quite pristine thus far. I'm a bit OCD, though, as I use a LED torch to visually inspect the keys. Its just funny how Apple makes us get all obsessed over their products, right? ;)

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
To prevent the inevitable shiny key syndrome, I'd suggest this. Fits like a glove, adds grip to the keys, keeps dust, crumbs, etc from getting between them, and has kept my blackbook's keys in pristine condition (great for the future resale value of the machine). Also, it barely touches the screen so it doesn't have to be removed every time you close it. Cheaper and thinner than the iSkin version, which I tried and found incredibly difficult to type on. Pretty sure it will fit the new macbook since, as far as I know, the keyboards are identical.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
To prevent the inevitable shiny key syndrome, I'd suggest this. Fits like a glove, adds grip to the keys, keeps dust, crumbs, etc from getting between them, and has kept my blackbook's keys in pristine condition (great for the future resale value of the machine). Also, it barely touches the screen so it doesn't have to be removed every time you close it. Cheaper and thinner than the iSkin version, which I tried and found incredibly difficult to type on. Pretty sure it will fit the new macbook since, as far as I know, the keyboards are identical.

Does it lay flat on the keys? I might consider something cheap like that as long as it sits well on the keys and doesn't move around easily...

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
Does it lay flat on the keys? I might consider something cheap like that as long as it sits well on the keys and doesn't move around easily...

By flat I'm assuming you mean is there space between the keys and the cover? Yeah, there's a bit of detectible space there, in places, but by no means enough to impair one's ability to type (there's definitely a different feel typing with it, though, and it takes getting used to). Thing is, the cover itself is so thin it sort of conforms to the keyboard, if that makes sense. And it does not shift around at all when typing. Really easy to clean, too. Wow, starting to sound like a pitchman for this thing so I'll stop.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I know this is an old thread but worth bringing up again. I just purchased a new 13" Macbook Pro a week ago and the spacebar key already has a shiny spot from my right thumb. Seems more like a wear mark than a grease mark. This happened to me before on a $300 Compaq laptop. Didn't expect it to happen on an expensive Macbook Pro, at least not so soon! :mad:

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
if your really motivated sand down the keys lol really fine sand paper j.k
Just deal with the problem, its a thing that you can not really change.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I use latex gloves when I use my MacBook. I know that may sound a bit OCD but I've never caught a virus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.