Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's always a good idea to check the domain info:
Domain: softbuy-download.net

DNS:
aa.linkedns.net
bb.linkedns.net

Created: 2010-10-04 23:32:50
Expires: 2011-10-04 23:32:50
Last Modified: 2010-10-04 11:32:50

Registrant Contact:
Olga Veresova
Olga Veresova (vlad@free-id.ru)
ul.Komsomola d.13 kv.26
Sankt-Peterburg, Sankt-Peterburg, RU 195009
P: +7.8123274547 F: +7.8123274547​
Can you say SCAM?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd guess that if you bought from them you would get an actual download but it would be a cracked version, which if you want that there is no point in paying for it in the first place.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
It's always a good idea to check the domain info:
Domain: softbuy-download.net

DNS:
aa.linkedns.net
bb.linkedns.net

Created: 2010-10-04 23:32:50
Expires: 2011-10-04 23:32:50
Last Modified: 2010-10-04 11:32:50

Registrant Contact:
Olga Veresova
Olga Veresova (vlad@free-id.ru)
ul.Komsomola d.13 kv.26
Sankt-Peterburg, Sankt-Peterburg, RU 195009
P: +7.8123274547 F: +7.8123274547​
Can you say SCAM?

Where can you get all that information?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Where can you get all that information?

There are many places to get domain info. I go to http://www.GoDaddy.com
ScreenCap 2.PNG ScreenCap 3.PNG

http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIs.aspx?domain=softbuy-download.net&prog_id=godaddy

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 4, 2010
UK
If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. I'd guess that if you bought from them you would get an actual download but it would be a cracked version, which if you want that there is no point in paying for it in the first place.

My thoughts too really, blinded by the price! I can't help but think that if adobe and the like would get many more sales if they sold their software at these sorts of prices - but that's another argument for another day

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you are a student, that's the pretty much the only to buy Photoshop cheap.

Otherwise, you can scour for a cheap used copy of a previous version of Photoshop and just buy an upgrade. All you need to a copy of Photoshop CS2 or newer.

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey

Hit the nail on the head kramer... just for kicks I read their "terms and conditions page"... check this out:

2.5 Software cannot be registered on-line due to certain limitations;
2.6 You will not be able to receive any printed license confirmation;
2.7 You will not receive any CD/DVD, we neither sell CD`s nor ship them;
2.8 Some software includes ISO files (iso - CD image ) . You need to burn this type of files on CD/DVD and start a setup from a CD. You will get all directions for burning CDs/DVDs;

Sounds like cracked software to me! :)

--rob

Emrani

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
I recently bought Windows 7 from these guys to install in bootcamp. The copies of Windows they sell are OEM versions (see this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/1514?pg=2). However, I don't know whether they are System builder OEM versions or the ones that are only supposed to be used by major PC manufacturers.

The software installed perfectly and was already activated with Microsoft when it had finished installing (that is I didn't have to manually enter a serial number at any stage). I later checked the software with Microsoft's validation tool and it came up as genuine.

I was charged the correct amount on my credit card, so don't feel as though I was scammed.

However, there are many dodgy things about this company, which I wasn't aware of until after I ordered the software. Firstly, as has been noted, although the website claims to be based in the US, the company doesn't seem to be American. The transaction has appeared on my credit card statement as coming from Latvia. The emails I received immediately after paying for the software were in very poor English. The serial number that appeared next to my download information bore no resemblance to the OEM serial number (Product ID) in the installed system.

It's possible that the product ID is being mass-used in breach of MS licensing agreements and if so, I guess at some point my copy of Windows may fail the validation test, but for the moment I'll assume it's OK.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I recently bought Windows 7 from these guys to install in bootcamp. The copies of Windows they sell are OEM versions (see this article http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-microsoft-wont-tell-you-about-windows-7-licensing/1514?pg=2). However, I don't know whether they are System builder OEM versions or the ones that are only supposed to be used by major PC manufacturers.

The software installed perfectly and was already activated with Microsoft when it had finished installing (that is I didn't have to manually enter a serial number at any stage). I later checked the software with Microsoft's validation tool and it came up as genuine.

I was charged the correct amount on my credit card, so don't feel as though I was scammed.

However, there are many dodgy things about this company, which I wasn't aware of until after I ordered the software. Firstly, as has been noted, although the website claims to be based in the US, the company doesn't seem to be American. The transaction has appeared on my credit card statement as coming from Latvia. The emails I received immediately after paying for the software were in very poor English. The serial number that appeared next to my download information bore no resemblance to the OEM serial number (Product ID) in the installed system.

It's possible that the product ID is being mass-used in breach of MS licensing agreements and if so, I guess at some point my copy of Windows may fail the validation test, but for the moment I'll assume it's OK.

I'd also keep a very close eye on your credit card statement in the near future: These guys are clearly selling software illegally so possibly wouldn't have any qualms over "creative" use of credit card info they get during the course of the dodgy business...

By the way, the building they show so proudly on their website is actually Fidelity Investments...

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

Depends upon what you received for the amount charged on your card as to whether you were scammed or not. For OEM installs to work without inserting a serial number, the validation for activation should normally be embedded in the bios. This is how Dell usually does things. It also often requires a specific OEM build of Windows to install properly, hence recovery media and partitions.

From the looks of things, you seem to have got a volume licence install. You have basically paid for not having to torrent this from the usual pirate trackers.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
You have basically paid for not having to torrent this from the usual pirate trackers.

This.

Getting software from that site is as legal as downloading it from BitTorrent - I'm certain that the original software publishers won't see a penny of the money you paid.

petrolheads

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Hit the nail on the head kramer... just for kicks I read their "terms and conditions page"... check this out:

Sounds like cracked software to me! :)

--rob

I placed an order off this site http://shopsoftwares.net/ and had no immediate email confirmation of receipt. It suggested a reply within 24 hours once they'd had my debit card details for payment (no mention of that on the website) and then in their Policy Page it suggested activation links etc within the hour. One hour later nothing so I got worried, found and joined this forum to comment on.

I immediately found she was in Latvia via this forum and thought oh dear a bit risky with my debit card details (the golden rule here which I didn't do was see if the site had an address on....NO!)
I have called my bank and cancelled the debit card so nothing can be taken out. Better to be safe than sorry. There is a reason why things are cheap! In my view it's way too risky.

niftyLRT

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
another one

along these same lines I was given a website with the URL jet-customer.com and the site seems to be called Soft Store. I bought and downloaded the Adobe Master Suite for a very cheap price. When I couldn't figure out how to get back to my download page that had the installation instructions I tried to find a phone number and couldn't which definitely sparked suspicion but they had a help desk so I emailed them. The response was to tell me that my order had been canceled and I should be refunded the money. 1. Weird because I had already downloaded the product 2. I checked my account immediately assuming i'd been scammed and they had never charged me for the initial purpose or refunded me, no money has been taken out of my account 3. I tried to google search them and research them and couldn't find anything, no scam warnings or anything the actual website didn't even appear in a google search!
I'm just super confused and was wondering if anyone had heard of them or what to do....if these people were trying to scam me they definitely didn't do a very good job of it!

rebevin

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Thanks you all, I wanted to buy software from one site, but I wasn't sure about it. You gave here useful informations, and now I know that site is maybe one of SoftBuy-sites family you referred to.

Domain of site is: appsroyalstore.com
(registered January 2014 by Kelly Lundgren, Sweden)

But I came there from Google with these .edu links: http://www.etcs.ipfw.edu/~fcc/2013/regional/tmp/disk/mine.php?id=1882
http://kmcemed.edu/index.php?impid=1083
http://constantina.safa.edu/index.php?show2045

When I was looking for "appsroyalstore" on google, I found nothing. But in the section "Policy" on that site was "By placing an order at SoftBuy" and so I found this thread on MacRumors.
Btw. in section "faq", there is not "SoftBuy", but "Software Store".

Because of these 3 different names, I was looking for some informations about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.