Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sales of Revamped Apple TV Pegged at Over 250,000

During today's earnings conference call, Apple CEO Steve Jobs noted that the company has sold over 250,000 units of the revamped Apple TV that was unveiled at the company's September 1st media event and began shipping at the very end of September.

Responding to a question about how the device is performing in the marketplace and whether users can expect Apple to shift to a streaming model for other products, Jobs noted that Apple doesn't discuss unannounced products but that it's been "thrilled" with the performance so far. Jobs also pointed to the AirPlay capabilities in iOS 4.2 set to debut next month as another reason for customers to look to the "very enticing" $99 Apple TV.

One analyst estimated earlier this month that Apple was selling the new Apple TV at a rate of about one million units per quarter, although it will take some time for the true demand to become apparent as the initial wave of orders tapers off and supply constraints experienced at the launch begin to ease.

Article Link: Sales of Revamped Apple TV Pegged at Over 250,000
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:14 PM   #2
iKrl
macrumors regular

now i want one!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
live4mark
macrumors member

The possibilities/potential for this new Apple TV are truly amazing; I hope that Apple continues to explore new media to stream to this device.
live4mark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Nonpareil
macrumors newbie

Sold out in Dallas.
Nonpareil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:19 PM   #5
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

That seems like a good number. At $99, the new AppleTV is a bargain.

I've used mine a lot since I got it.

(Just like I used the original a lot...)

Could use Hulu+, really needs the App Store. Hopefully soon.
GeekLawyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
emotion
macrumors 68040

Had mine for a few days now. It's all about the potential for the future with this for me (I bought while in US, 2/3 price than UK). App platform, airplay conduit, potential games machine....until then it's a pretty neat video on demand box.
emotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7
CyberBob859
macrumors 6502

Anybody have an idea on how many of the older TV units they sold? Would be interesting to see when they will exceed sales with the newer model.
CyberBob859 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Mattsasa
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Mattsasa
do we still think this will get apps?
Mattsasa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:35 PM   #9
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

I wonder if you could turn that into a really, really cheap server.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Rocketman
macrumors 603

I think it interesting Steve was wiling to "break out" sales of AppleTV, and find it to be evidence it is still a hobby.

Rocketman
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:40 PM   #11
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsasa View Post
do we still think this will get apps?
Someday, probably yes.

The AppleTV App Store might be announced at WWDC. 2011? 2012? Who knows.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:44 PM   #12
fxtech
macrumors 6502

Amazing

Pretty amazing considering, essentially, it does pretty much what most recent TVs, DVD players, and consoles can do already.
fxtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:48 PM   #13
Roofy.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I think it interesting Steve was wiling to "break out" sales of AppleTV, and find it to be evidence it is still a hobby.

Rocketman
I wouldn't really call 250,000 of them sold a "hobby". its no ipad or iphone but thats still alot.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:49 PM   #14
! V !
macrumors 6502a

Present prediction = Wait on it and see where is planning to go with it. Still is coming across as a hobby.
! V ! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Gump
macrumors member

I ordered one.

I will also be buying the Boxee box, however, because of its open-source roots, massive horsepower and broad file format compatibility -- including AVCHD home videos at 1080p.

The AppleTV is a great device if you have all your content in an iTunes database, but that means you're stuck playing only the content compatible with iTunes.

I'll own both so I get the best of both worlds.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:51 PM   #16
gugy
macrumors 68000

Well the price point is perfect. Even though is less than what I expected in terms of features. I might end up getting one just to complement my Apple ecosystem.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:51 PM   #17
! V !
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofy. View Post
I wouldn't really call 250,000 of them sold a "hobby". its no ipad or iphone but thats still alot.
Do we remember the infamous G4 Cube?

With there is no say for sure. The TV might just get rolled into the MacMini via a physical switch.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:52 PM   #18
rorschach
macrumors 68000

I'd love to know how many of those were bought by people who have a 1st-gen ATV vs brand new ATV customers.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:53 PM   #19
skellener
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotion View Post
It's all about the potential for the future with this for me...
Isn't that what previous owners of the AppleTV said too? I don't think I'd ever buy tech for it's "potential for the future". More often than not, that future never comes or gets replaced with something better. Enjoy it for what it is now.
skellener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:54 PM   #20
! V !
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post
Well the price point is perfect. Even though is less than what I expected in terms of features. I might end up getting one just to complement my Apple ecosystem.
Was really hoping that the AirPort Express got Video Streaming capabilities "AirPlay." Possible an HDMI port to hook up to a TV without an ethernet port and you are good for your Audio and Video requirements, along with USB printing/storage and WiFi networking.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:57 PM   #21
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

... And it's only available in a few countries. USA, Canada, UK, France and Germany.
Spain, Italy, Scandinavia, India, China, Benelux etc. should help along with Airplay and the app market.
This little device is gonna be another multimillion seller.
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:10 PM   #22
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Until Apple releases a version of the ATV that has a DVD player built in (and c'mon... how much more expensive would that make it?) I'm not interested. I'm betting lots of others out there feel the same. I wonder how many more of these Apple could have sold if they had positioned it as a DVD player replacement.

Entertainment hardware has to have a certain degree of backward-compatibility, and Apple never seems interested in that. In most cases, I understand how holding on to old standards and approaches holds technology back, but that's no excuse in this case. I have too many DVDs to make something like this worth buying. I could see picking up one of these to replace my current DVD player but beyond that, the functionality it provides is simply not worth $99.
inkswamp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:12 PM   #23
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Until Apple releases a version of the ATV that has a DVD player built in (and c'mon... how much more expensive would that make it?) I'm not interested. I'm betting lots of others out there feel the same. I wonder how many more of these Apple could have sold if they had positioned it as a DVD player replacement.

Entertainment hardware has to have a certain degree of backward-compatibility, and Apple never seems interested in that. In most cases, I understand how holding on to old standards and approaches holds technology back, but that's no excuse in this case. I have too many DVDs to make something like this worth buying. I could see picking up one of these to replace my current DVD player but beyond that, the functionality it provides is simply not worth $99.
That's not going to happen. Steve Jobs has said many times physical media is dying and Apple will not put a DVD or Blu-Ray player on ATV.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Will do good
macrumors 6502

Use it all the time

Our family use it all the time. Now we only need to have one source (computer/iTune) to hold all our ripped movies, photos, music and can use it in any of our other TVs.
Will do good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:15 PM   #25
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ! V ! View Post
Do we remember the infamous G4 Cube?

With there is no say for sure. The TV might just get rolled into the MacMini via a physical switch.
My guess it will be replaced eventually by an iPod/iPhone dock. Why bother with an extra device if your existing i device can already do everything and only lacks a convenient connection to the TV. And you'll have up to 64GB of space. And apps.

Other possiblity: it will be made obsolete by TVs that have the features properly integrated. I guess Google, licensing their OS to TV makers, is in a better position here, since Apple will never start making TVs.
Speedy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion