Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

181150-apple_tv_black.jpg

During today's earnings conference call, Apple CEO Steve Jobs noted that the company has sold over 250,000 units of the revamped Apple TV that was unveiled at the company's September 1st media event and began shipping at the very end of September.

Responding to a question about how the device is performing in the marketplace and whether users can expect Apple to shift to a streaming model for other products, Jobs noted that Apple doesn't discuss unannounced products but that it's been "thrilled" with the performance so far. Jobs also pointed to the AirPlay capabilities in iOS 4.2 set to debut next month as another reason for customers to look to the "very enticing" $99 Apple TV.

One analyst estimated earlier this month that Apple was selling the new Apple TV at a rate of about one million units per quarter, although it will take some time for the true demand to become apparent as the initial wave of orders tapers off and supply constraints experienced at the launch begin to ease.

Article Link: Sales of Revamped Apple TV Pegged at Over 250,000

live4mark

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
New York City
The possibilities/potential for this new Apple TV are truly amazing; I hope that Apple continues to explore new media to stream to this device.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Had mine for a few days now. It's all about the potential for the future with this for me (I bought while in US, 2/3 price than UK). App platform, airplay conduit, potential games machine....until then it's a pretty neat video on demand box.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Anybody have an idea on how many of the older :apple:TV units they sold? Would be interesting to see when they will exceed sales with the newer model.

fxtech

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Amazing

Pretty amazing considering, essentially, it does pretty much what most recent TVs, DVD players, and consoles can do already.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
I think it interesting Steve was wiling to "break out" sales of AppleTV, and find it to be evidence it is still a hobby.

Rocketman

I wouldn't really call 250,000 of them sold a "hobby". its no ipad or iphone but thats still alot.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Present prediction = Wait on it and see where :apple: is planning to go with it. Still is coming across as a hobby.

Gump

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Virginia
I ordered one.

I will also be buying the Boxee box, however, because of its open-source roots, massive horsepower and broad file format compatibility -- including AVCHD home videos at 1080p.

The AppleTV is a great device if you have all your content in an iTunes database, but that means you're stuck playing only the content compatible with iTunes.

I'll own both so I get the best of both worlds.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well the price point is perfect. Even though is less than what I expected in terms of features. I might end up getting one just to complement my Apple ecosystem.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I wouldn't really call 250,000 of them sold a "hobby". its no ipad or iphone but thats still alot.

Do we remember the infamous G4 Cube?

With :apple: there is no say for sure. The :apple:TV might just get rolled into the MacMini via a physical switch.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I'd love to know how many of those were bought by people who have a 1st-gen ATV vs brand new ATV customers.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
It's all about the potential for the future with this for me...
Isn't that what previous owners of the AppleTV said too? I don't think I'd ever buy tech for it's "potential for the future". More often than not, that future never comes or gets replaced with something better. Enjoy it for what it is now.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Well the price point is perfect. Even though is less than what I expected in terms of features. I might end up getting one just to complement my Apple ecosystem.

Was really hoping that the AirPort Express got Video Streaming capabilities "AirPlay." Possible an HDMI port to hook up to a TV without an ethernet port and you are good for your Audio and Video requirements, along with USB printing/storage and WiFi networking.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
... And it's only available in a few countries. USA, Canada, UK, France and Germany.
Spain, Italy, Scandinavia, India, China, Benelux etc. should help along with Airplay and the app market.
This little device is gonna be another multimillion seller.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Until Apple releases a version of the ATV that has a DVD player built in (and c'mon... how much more expensive would that make it?) I'm not interested. I'm betting lots of others out there feel the same. I wonder how many more of these Apple could have sold if they had positioned it as a DVD player replacement.

Entertainment hardware has to have a certain degree of backward-compatibility, and Apple never seems interested in that. In most cases, I understand how holding on to old standards and approaches holds technology back, but that's no excuse in this case. I have too many DVDs to make something like this worth buying. I could see picking up one of these to replace my current DVD player but beyond that, the functionality it provides is simply not worth $99.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Until Apple releases a version of the ATV that has a DVD player built in (and c'mon... how much more expensive would that make it?) I'm not interested. I'm betting lots of others out there feel the same. I wonder how many more of these Apple could have sold if they had positioned it as a DVD player replacement.

Entertainment hardware has to have a certain degree of backward-compatibility, and Apple never seems interested in that. In most cases, I understand how holding on to old standards and approaches holds technology back, but that's no excuse in this case. I have too many DVDs to make something like this worth buying. I could see picking up one of these to replace my current DVD player but beyond that, the functionality it provides is simply not worth $99.

That's not going to happen. Steve Jobs has said many times physical media is dying and Apple will not put a DVD or Blu-Ray player on ATV.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Use it all the time

Our family use it all the time. Now we only need to have one source (computer/iTune) to hold all our ripped movies, photos, music and can use it in any of our other TVs. :):)

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Do we remember the infamous G4 Cube?

With :apple: there is no say for sure. The :apple:TV might just get rolled into the MacMini via a physical switch.

My guess it will be replaced eventually by an iPod/iPhone dock. Why bother with an extra device if your existing i device can already do everything and only lacks a convenient connection to the TV. And you'll have up to 64GB of space. And apps.

Other possiblity: it will be made obsolete by TVs that have the features properly integrated. I guess Google, licensing their OS to TV makers, is in a better position here, since Apple will never start making TVs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.