Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I am playing around with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 in VirtualBox with OS 10.6.4 as host (so far I really like it; I may install Ubuntu on an old PC I have), and since I code a lot I'd like to install some kind of developer tools. However, I don't know what the choices are in the Linux world. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Thanks!

[edit] the GNU compilers are already installed; I mainly want something that offers syntax-aware text editing like Xcode.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Under Linux I have used KDevelop, Netbeans, and Eclipse.

Kdevelop has always been fast, but has always lacked a nice CVS/Diff integration. It has some integration, it's just not very well done - at least last I tried it. They have a new version out now though.

I used eclipse for a while - great bells and whistles, but at the time I was using it the code assistance feature was so slow it was unbearable. I hear this has gotten better since I gave up on it.

After getting fed up with eclipse's slowness, I tried netbeans with it's C++ integration. It's speed was much better and the interface seemed more intuitive to me.

Hansr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2007
Netbeans and Eclipse have always been too slow imo. KDevelop is good and so is Code::block.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
If you just want a text-editor with some advance features like syntax-highlighting, you can try vim. It's available on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, and it's highly appreciated by programmers.

vocaro

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2004
If you're running Linux in virtualization with OS X as the host, why do you even need a Linux IDE? Just use your favorite OS X IDE and save the files to your Linux drive.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh I'm so glad this question wasn't asked on a linux board or blood would have been flying already :p

I personally use Netbeans when I use linux. I use Netbeans on Mac too for C++ projects for class since I have to end up building them in Visual Studio. I like Netbeans....they came a LONG way.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
If you're running Linux in virtualization with OS X as the host, why do you even need a Linux IDE? Just use your favorite OS X IDE and save the files to your Linux drive.

For my environment, I have linux running in VMWare and I run the OSX version of netbeans. Netbeans has a nice remote build so I can build right from netbeans running under OSX, it ssh's to the linux VM, builds, then sends the build output back to NB so I can then click on the errors just as if I were building locally.

I think eclipse offers this ability also.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I am playing around with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 in VirtualBox with OS 10.6.4 as host (so far I really like it; I may install Ubuntu on an old PC I have), and since I code a lot I'd like to install some kind of developer tools. However, I don't know what the choices are in the Linux world. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Thanks!

[edit] the GNU compilers are already installed; I mainly want something that offers syntax-aware text editing like Xcode.

I know this is an oooold thread, but Fedora/CentOS/OpenSUSE are considered more of the developer distros than Ubuntu. Fedora even comes with a whole lot of options for installing particular developer tool chains.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards NetBeans because I already have it on the Mac side of things, and I have a new OpenSolaris VM. It actually runs better than Ubuntu in the VM.

I know this is an oooold thread, but Fedora/CentOS/OpenSUSE are considered more of the developer distros than Ubuntu. Fedora even comes with a whole lot of options for installing particular developer tool chains.

Hmmm, maybe I might try those at a later date. :)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm leaning towards NetBeans because I already have it on the Mac side of things, and I have a new OpenSolaris VM. It actually runs better than Ubuntu in the VM.

OpenSolaris is a dead project now that Oracle have bought Sun Microsystems. Move to something different. FreeBSD is a good choice (it is the most Mac like open source operating system available).

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I know, but it runs good. :D

Can you get FreeBSD with a GUI? I have it in another VM, but it is command line only. :confused: The job of getting GNOME (and getting it to work) is not appealing to say the least.

[edit] I can't seem to get NetBeans to finish downloading in OpenSolaris, so I will indeed be wanting to move to something else.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I bit the bullet and I'm configuring xorg and all that now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.