Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iScience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
London, UK
What does the new Mac App Store mean for all those shareware apps? If I am not mistaken, iPhone/iPad apps offer their upgrades for free, so users pay once and then receive all further updates automatically. This does not sound like a very sustainable business model, as you cannot make repeat business with happy existing customers and are forced into acquiring new ones, no matter how large your existing user base is.

Will Mac Apps on the store be forced to follow this same model of offering all future upgrades for free to existing customers and hence maybe having to release a "new" app to cash in on any major upgrade (i.e. from version 1.3 to 2.0).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Will Mac Apps on the store be forced to follow this same model of offering all future upgrades for free to existing customers and hence maybe having to release a "new" app to cash in on any major upgrade (i.e. from version 1.3 to 2.0).
That's how I would envision things working. And it's happened like this before in the App Store, so why not?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
iOS Apps are pay once and updates are free...

Of the same app.

Developers just release a 'new' app when they want to charge for an app.

So instead of
iFlashlight 1.0
iFlashlight 2.0
iFlashlight 3.0

We get:
iFlashlight 1.0
iFlashstrobe 1.0
iFlashbulb 1.0

I imagine the same will happen to these apps.

Great for monetizing simple little apps, but bigger more expensive apps will be sold as they are now.

iScience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
London, UK
That's how I would envision things working. And it's happened like this before in the App Store, so why not?

It just seems weird to have to release an entirely new app for each major upgrade with no user reviews directly attached to it. Does releasing a new app for a version 2 also entail a more thorough review by Apple than for a minor upgrade? And do users looking at my "brandnew" version 2 need to look for previous versions to find reviews of it by other users? Doesn't seem as elegant a solution like the traditional model.

iOS Apps are pay once and updates are free...

Of the same app.

Developers just release a 'new' app when they want to charge for an app.

So instead of
iFlashlight 1.0
iFlashlight 2.0
iFlashlight 3.0

We get:
iFlashlight 1.0
iFlashstrobe 1.0
iFlashbulb 1.0

I imagine the same will happen to these apps.

Great for monetizing simple little apps, but bigger more expensive apps will be sold as they are now.

Wow, I didn't know that was how it worked. Doesn't seem right to me. Developers should be able to directly monetize major updates to their work. I don't understand why the app store doesn't include upgrade pricing, if and when developers choose to charge like that. Sure, it saves a little bit on implementation complexity for the app store and is less to think about for end users/customers, but I don't see how anyone would actually benefit from this little saving.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Need versioning too

I also very much want to see the ability to keep past versions alive and available.

There's far too much history across all platforms and OSs of failed upgrades and needing to go back to what you had before.

Heck, there's also the issue of reduced functionality in newer releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.