Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonecracker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
London
I have downloaded facetime beta, but when i try to load it, it asks for a security update, Security Update 2010-005,I have tried to autouodate it but it says that there is nothing to update.

Any help?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I can't get it to sign in...it just says "Signing in..." and nothing happens.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
That's odd. I downloaded about 30 minutes ago and immediately placed a call to my Dad's iPhone. It didn't ask me for any type of update. Maybe they are just getting inundated right now.

And, it worked like a charm!

reelbgpunk

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
security update

I too had the error even though my software is up to date. Any ideas anyone?

bonecracker

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
London
I have just realized that it only works on snow leopard, I have the previous version on my MacBook , perhaps that's why it does not work! Or am I wrong?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Had zero issues here, signed into apple ido in a couple seconds no problem.
Face timeing a facetime window is neat... It makes an endles trail of face time windows, but it does it in increments... Looks cool.:p
Screen%20shot%202010-10-20%20at%207.05.29%20PM.png

rocky1347

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
bay area in CA
I have latest software and downloaded the beta version. But I can't seem to make it run and what mean is that I don't even see an icon for it. Any suggestions?

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
slightly disappointed

I just don't like that you need to use address book for all contacts and cannot add contacts from within the facetime app on the mac.

I had to waste time making a stupid contact in my address book JUST to do facetime with someone.

Thank GOD I have 2 partitions on my iMac: the biggest one for regular leopard, you know, because snow leopard is kinda a big bug, and the smallest partition for snow leopard if I ever need to use 64 bit, or just do something that requires 10.6

Oh, and what kind of horse &#$t is it that it REQUIRES 10.6.4 ?????? There's people like me who choose not to go on to snow leopard because they went back down to regular leopard after figuring out how bad it is.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Oh, and what kind of horse &#$t is it that it REQUIRES 10.6.4 ?????? There's people like me who choose not to go on to snow leopard because they went back down to regular leopard after figuring out how bad it is.

Yeah, that whole "only 10.6.4" jargon has me confused too. Facetime seems to be such a simple app; why restrict it only to the most recent version of SL and higher?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Mine says signing in but nothing happens??

I've been having problems with signing in all day and was just able to fix it, but I'm not really sure why.

I'm on an iMac and I was connected to the internet through an ethernet cable to my router/switch. I turned off the Ethernet (from Settings -> Network) and turned on Airport WiFi then connected to my neighbors unsecured WiFi.

Immediately I was able to sign in no problem and use FaceTime no problem, tested it with my iPhone 4. I figured somewhere with my router/switch was the problem.

However, I then turned Airport WiFi back off and turned the Ethernet back on and FaceTime still works. I've signed out, signed back in, quit the program, restarted...everything is still working. I don't know why it fixed it but it did it seems.

I got this idea because I read about someone else who tried it on two different computer (but same location) so I figured it has to be the internet connection, not the computers themselves.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
For some reason Facetime is really not liking my .mac email address - which is weird as it is my main AppleID. I put in my address and password and it tells me that "the address is permanently blocked from registering" - same goes for the .me version.

Any ideas? I'm using my ye olde AppleID from before I switched in the meantime...

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
I've been having problems with signing in all day and was just able to fix it, but I'm not really sure why.

I'm on an iMac and I was connected to the internet through an ethernet cable to my router/switch. I turned off the Ethernet (from Settings -> Network) and turned on Airport WiFi then connected to my neighbors unsecured WiFi.

Immediately I was able to sign in no problem and use FaceTime no problem, tested it with my iPhone 4. I figured somewhere with my router/switch was the problem.

However, I then turned Airport WiFi back off and turned the Ethernet back on and FaceTime still works. I've signed out, signed back in, quit the program, restarted...everything is still working. I don't know why it fixed it but it did it seems.

I got this idea because I read about someone else who tried it on two different computer (but same location) so I figured it has to be the internet connection, not the computers themselves.

That's what I thought, too. It is probably a router problem, maybe some ports have to be forwarded or opened. To bad I have no idea how that works.
Well I'll see if my neighbor let's me use his wifi for testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.