Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evo-L

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
I have the friendly facebook app, its pretty cool. Its only 99c so its not too much of a commitment.

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
if you're jailbroken using the official iphone facebook app along with FullForce from cydia is pretty good, shame there's no push for chat included but that's what IM+ is for :)

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Friendly and Social seem to be the two big apps for the iPad. I use Friendly and it's fine but I like the free iPhone app better.

Social is by far the best and the developer updates consistenly, and his updates actually bring things to the table. Social will bring new life into "The Facebook"

thebleeptruth

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Absolutely no idea also why Facebook hasn't released an iPad app. I think they thought initially that opening it up on Safari would satisfy most users. I actually would want an iPad-optimized Facebook app similar to how they optimized one for the iPhone/iPod Touch. Haven't really tried the other 3rd party apps that people have mentioned here, but I think the Twitter universal app has a pretty nice format for the iPad. Facebook should really follow suit. On a more personal note, it would be great to have a "via Facebook for iPad" tag along with my posts that people can see. LOL

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
why do you need a facebook app? Just go to the webpage. This reliance on apps instead of the web is puzzling to me sometimes.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
There's no good reason to have an app for Facebook on the iPad. You can do 99% of what you want to do on the website through a browser (chat being a notable exception.)

I downloaded Friendly, and it's nice and all, but I find the real website more familiar and just as easy to use.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
There's no good reason to have an app for Facebook on the iPad. You can do 99% of what you want to do on the website through a browser (chat being a notable exception.)

I downloaded Friendly, and it's nice and all, but I find the real website more familiar and just as easy to use.

I would like to be able to upload photos from my Photo Library app to FB on my iPad. Give me that and Chat in the app and I'm good to go.

Coolio107

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010

Probably a question of what you are used to but I generally find the web site more confusing than the various apps. Especially since it tends to show nun-reproducible content and you can't come back to where you were.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have both iPad apps and I am not very satisfied. I prefer accessing Facebook through Safari. It works better. At least I can access my groups, something that Social and Friendly do not offer. Actually both apps look like they are using touch.facebook.com
Same interface, same functionality.

I wish a better client comes in the near future.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Just access facebook through the browser. What is so hard about that? I agree with the earlier poater that wondered why the reliance on an app. On the iPad accessing the actual Facebook site is far better. One of the key benefits of the iPad is the fact that it is a great tool for accessing the web.

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
I would like to be able to upload photos from my Photo Library app to FB on my iPad. Give me that and Chat in the app and I'm good to go.

I use the Friendly App for 99.9% of my FB experience on the iPad, but for just the photo uploading I leave the facebook for iphone/ipod installed.

Coolio107

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I find friendly very cumbersome in the current release.
It annoys me to hell that I have to first select the account when I start the App, no quick look at my wall.
Especially since logging in at that point seems to fail every 2nd time or so and I have to wait and retry.
Needs another update before I use it again.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I, too, bought Friendly in lieu of an official Facebook app. I liked Friendly, but they've just released 3.0 and it's buggy as hell. Plus, despite claiming faster login, it adds an extra step due to multiple account support.

They need to:

1) Fix it so that it does actually login, instead of hanging; and

2) Make the multiple account login screen optional.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
AAPLaday said:
Considering i only have one account on it i think its strange that i have to click on my profile in order to log in. Surely its better to automatically login for users with only one account set up :eek:
I plan to email them about this and I hope that mine will be one of hundreds or thousands of such emails. With only one account, this new login screen is quite a big drop in usability for me. I just want to be able to tap the app icon and be straight into the news feed like I had before. Surely they must be getting so much negative feedback on this new setup that they will make it optional very soon.

- Julian

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.