Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexandernap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Rochester NY
I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a TV Video recorder. I was looking at the firewire version of both. They are about the same price. Sinc I have digital cable does that mean that I have connect to these through my cable box, thus meaning I have to watch whatever I want to record? The Formac version says it has a 125 channel TV tuner. Will this eliminate that requirement. Thanks for any advice.

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
I have the USB version of EyeTV and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to use the software and the quality is surprisingly good. Of course if you go with the firewire version (EyeTV 200 I believe) the quality will be even better and you still get the user-friendly software.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I've got the EyeTV 400 DVB-T firewire box and I can't fault it. The softwares nice and easy to use, and every software update seems to add new functionality and use less CPU. I like it so much I bought the EyeHome, I'd never heard of El Gato before I got my G5 but now that I've used their stuff for a few months I recommend it highly. Great software, great TV quality, just great!

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
miglia?? anyone

anyone use the miglia card?
i am trying to decide on a tv pvr and this looks good....

how does it compare to elgato's offerings?

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
gelbin said:
anyone use the miglia card?
i am trying to decide on a tv pvr and this looks good....

how does it compare to elgato's offerings?

the miglia card has a major failing.
anything you record will drift out of sync.
very annoying.
real time tv watching is good.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Miglia's other failing is that they won't sell the software separately. I already have a card but I can't use it because I don't have software :(

arthurskittle

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2004
Sydney
Eye TV 610

Has anyone used the El Gato Eye TV 610 model? I don't think it is available in the US but apparently is in Europe and Australia. I was wondering what the performance would be like with digital free-to-air TV on a 22" Apple Cinema Display in full screen mode (with G4). I'm planning on making this my only household TV if it works properly.

Anyone know of any reviews?

Thanks
Ian

FrenchRabbit

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2004
Nice / France
Hello,

I have an EyeTV 310 ( DVB-S + CAM module for PPv channels).
As you can see, I live in France.
This device is great, works flawlessly and allows me to record movies in MPEG-2 with a very good quality ( mean rate is around 5 mb/sec).
I don't know is it is useable "as is" in the US , but i recommend it.
The EyeTv software is really MacFriendly too :)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I would advise against the formac as my experience with their support has been less than acceptable.

Nice products (some of them), but terrible support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.