Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

globalevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
I saw some guy in the ORD airport using a 7" ipad while waiting for his flight to leave for BWI. He was probably in his 50's and speaking italian to his wife.
I stared at it for a long time, not sure if I was seeing what I was seeing. For a while the only thing I could see was the doc connector on the bottom, but when he put it away in his backpack I saw the apple logo on the back. He had it wrapped up in some kind of shrink wrap or something, probably because there are no cases for it available.
I didn't see what he was doing on it. I don't really have any other details. I'm kind of kicking myself for not taking a picture to prove what I saw... At the time I was trying to figure out if apple had somehow released the product without me knowing about it. I was also surprised because it looked like he was using an android phone, I would have expected an apple phone.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Yer and I saw an iPad 5", this sounds so reliable considering Steve said, about a week ago, that "7" are DOA" so....

BTW: Why is this in the iPad Apps forum.

igetit

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
I would probably be the last guy to contribute to this type of rumors, especially since I really wouldn't buy a 7in iPad anyway. But I saw a 7in "iPad look-alike" at the Latona Cafe in Seattle, WA. I did not see any Apple logo or anything of the sort, but I will say that the construction and the Home button were identical to my current iPad.

I honestly thought it was the Blackberry Tablet or something but the lines look "Apple-elegant" if that makes any sense :D

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
My guess would be a Chinese knock-off. They get pretty bold with those, even duplicating iPad boxes but covering the product name with their own. Gotta love fuzzy international trademark laws.

kenmarable

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
no. no you didnt.

the end
Given some of the knock-offs out there, I'm willing to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. Unless, of course, XciteMe created a new account. ;)

Although, technically, I guess I do agree. I don't think the poster saw an 7" iPad either. However, I believe s/he might have saw something that looked just like a 7" iPad. Apple logo on the back would be pushing it, but you never know.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
However, I believe s/he might have saw something that looked just like a 7" iPad. Apple logo on the back would be pushing it, but you never know.
I got some sort of Apple logo sticker thing in the box for both my iPhone 4 and my iPad. I haven't used either one but is it a sticker that can be attached to things? Maybe the guy in the airport had a sense of humour and had knowingly bought a 7" device that looked like an iPad, either because it was a deliberate copy or just another 7" that at first glance looks similar, and he stuck one of these stickers (if that's what they are) onto the back just to jerk people around. It sounds like quite a good practical joke actually.

- Julian

globalevan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
well, if it was a knock off it was a pretty damn convincing one. etched aluminum case, dock connector, home button, etc. I don't know if it was really 7", that's just the number I've seen in other rumors. It looked like it was the same thickness as my ipad.. It probably was fake, but the guy didn't look like the kind of person to have fake stuff. He looked like an upper middle aged italian architect or something.
Whatever, I just thought it was cool, so I posted it. Forum says to post general ipad stuff in the app discussion.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
About a month ago I saw a white iPhone 3GS with a mini-USB port instead of a dock connector. My boss was real proud of his $700 unlocked iPhone bought off of eBay. Until I proved to him that it was a Chinese knock-off, that is.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
About a month ago I saw a white iPhone 3GS with a mini-USB port instead of a dock connector. My boss was real proud of his $700 unlocked iPhone bought off of eBay. Until I proved to him that it was a Chinese knock-off, that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilQ-Vu5bKBo

lol removable battery buts its quite scary that u cant buy an iPhone off ebay these days without getting fake crap.. my mate got a fake one lol

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
lol removable battery buts its quite scary that u cant buy an iPhone off ebay these days without getting fake crap.. my mate got a fake one lol

A careful, knowledgeable eBay shopper will rarely have problems. My boss let the seller talk him in to making the payment transaction OUTSIDE of eBay, which is the top item on the list of things NOT to do on eBay. So of course he got screwed. He's got a total iPhone expert (me) sitting in the adjacent office, but he's too bull-headed to come ask for help before making the buy.

Oh, and the Chinese knockoff wouldn't even turn on. He got screwed TWO ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.