Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Whilst in the phone app I held down the home button and entered voice control mode where I started a song. What other interesting things can we do?

That's what I did. Voice Control has full functionality, so calling people or dialing numbers is also possible.

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
This also allows you to view their photos. When in contacts tap 'share contact' that will bring up SMS screen. From there you can tap camera icon to view or take photos.

Also allows you to send an email. Or send a text. Share contact > Email. Could also delete another person's contacts.

Anyone find anything else?

vlug

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2009
Just to add to this if you have Multifl0w installed you can then access any open apps using the double tap or activator expression you have chosen to enable it.

DrCheese

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2009
Works like a charm on 4.1. You can't access any other application, as the home button does nothing, no multitasking, no nothing.

But..... You can make calls with no problems, search/edit a users address book and if you are hooked up to an exchange server, search the GAL on the exchange server.

If a user has an email address associated with them you can press "share contact" and then you have full access to the email client of the user. Email whoever you want, it'll work.

I can see this getting fixed very quickly, What good is enforcing a lock on a phone via exchange if it can be bypassed so easily?
Although of course, this all requires a person to have physical access to your phone.

Can anyone confirm that this still works on the latest 4.2 beta? I would assume so for the time being at least.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
iPhone Button Sequence- Bypass Security Lock

Wired just posted a nice way to break into people's iPhones.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/20...+wired/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))

You can read the article if you're interested in the "hack", but suffice it to say you may want to watch your iPhone a bit more closely until this is patched.

Tried it with mine- was able to access the Phone app to make non-emergency calls as well as full access to the Address Book (including Edit ability). Nice.

chpwn

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
Using a security flaw to get around a security flaw? Ironic, much?

Apple refuses to fix the PDF exploit in the pre-4.0 firmwares, which means they are basically requiring you to use the jailbreak+patch method on any older iPhone or iPod touch.

It's not like they care.

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
tryed it 20 X and no luck, running iphone 4 jb 4.1

any one also not being able to do it?

Also not able here. My iphone is a iphone 4 32 gb running ios 4.1, Jailbroken with Limera1n final.

My iphone has been produced between sept 25-30 and came with ios 4.1 installed.

As soon as i hit the call button, it writes on the top: emergency calls only.

There is no delay..... no red bar thing then the message, only the message instantly appearing.

________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited:

CZK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Same here on my 3GS. I think this could be a somewhat possible good feature (like if you lost an iPhone).

Maybe when Apple has us setup our iPhones, we can enter a few "emergency" numbers to contact the original owner. So whenever someone finds it, they can click "dial #1" and then it will call the number. Of course, the number will be hidden to the end user (who finds the phone) and it can just display "Call owner number 1" or something like that.

Lefty29

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Voice Dialing

That's what I did. Voice Control has full functionality, so calling people or dialing numbers is also possible.

To those who say the voice dialing from the home screen is a bug/flaw, you are incorrect. This is by design and can be turned off under the passcode settings.

However, the emergency call issue is definitely a flaw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.