Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125648-idos_dos_300.jpg

iDOS running DOS on an iPad
Our sister site TouchArcade is following the story of iDOS, a new emulator application that appeared in the App Store earlier today which allows users to run DOS and even Windows 3.0 on their iOS devices.
Late last night iDOS was released. Based on DOSbox, an open source DOS emulator, iDOS is a universal app that has PC keyboard support, mouse support, multiple screen modes, and more.
While the full capabilities of the emulator are still being discovered, the $0.99 application already boasts an impressive set of features. It is unclear whether Apple's approval of iDOS was in line with the company's broadened guidelines and whether it will continue to be offered in the App Store as news of its capabilities begins to spread.

iDOS is compatible with iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 3.1.2 or later.

125648-idos_windows_300.jpg

iDOS running Solitaire in Windows 3.0 on an iPad

Article Link: 'iDOS' Emulator Supports DOS and Windows 3.0 on iOS Devices

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
So far, I've been unable to successfully download this app to my iPhone. I've purchased it in the App Store, and the icon appears on my screen, but it never starts to download and is stuck in "Waiting..." status.

EDIT: And as soon as I posted this, it finally started/finished downloading.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
It would be pretty neat if it didn't get removed.

I don't see why they're only selling it for $0.99 though, it's easily worth $4.99

mallom

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
So far, I've been unable to successfully download this app to my iPhone. I've purchased it in the App Store, and the icon appears on my screen, but it never starts to download and is stuck in "Waiting..." status.

ctrl + alt + del :D

Lutris

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
Neat, I'd love to play old DOS games on an ios device. Hope it supports bluetooth keyboards and mice for input and the HQx scalars.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
perfect...

I am so excited that I can now can run Visicalc on my iphone.

BTW, does anyone have a 5 1/2 inch floppy disk-to-iphone connector cable?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
I wonder if Microsoft will consider officially offering Windows for iOS now. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? ;)

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Is this even useful? Or is it a matter of because we can?

If you'd like text-based adventures like those built by "Interplay" - then you'd actually care about it as the gameplay remains stellar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.