Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2010
i have an older ibook g4, 1.33GHz, 80gb hard drive, 768mb ram (512+256), and (unfortunately) running OSX 10.3.

what upgrades can be done to this things to make it better? where can i get a hold of a 10.4 or 10.5 osx installation disc? any suggestions what i can do with this thing?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
i have an older ibook g4, 1.33GHz, 80gb hard drive, 768mb ram (512+256), and (unfortunately) running OSX 10.3.

what upgrades can be done to this things to make it better? where can i get a hold of a 10.4 or 10.5 osx installation disc? any suggestions what i can do with this thing?

Is this the 14" or 12" model? (there is a difference in built in ram on board, also I think the 14" had a superdrive but could be wrong)

I just sold (reluctantly!) my iBook 12" 1.33ghz. I installed a 320gb hard drive, plus an extra 1 gig of ram for a total of 1.5 gigs of ram. If I had kept it, I would have eventually put in a dvd burning superdrive.

I have a Tiger disc for the iBook. (I have two of them and still have to ship to another MR member when I can find his information.)

njaremka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Is this the 14" or 12" model? (there is a difference in built in ram on board, also I think the 14" had a superdrive but could be wrong)

I just sold (reluctantly!) my iBook 12" 1.33ghz. I installed a 320gb hard drive, plus an extra 1 gig of ram for a total of 1.5 gigs of ram. If I had kept it, I would have eventually put in a dvd burning superdrive.

I have a Tiger disc for the iBook. (I have two of them and still have to ship to another MR member when I can find his information.)

sorry, 14" with the superdrive. the built in ram is 256mb.

i think the os is whats really holding it back from being a decent net-book device.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
sorry, 14" with the superdrive. the built in ram is 256mb.

i think the os is whats really holding it back from being a decent net-book device.

You really don't want to put Leopard on the iBook. It will slow it way down. At best you'll want to put Tiger on it. I have an iMac G4 right now (1GHz with 512MB RAM) and it really crawled on Leopard, but as soon I put Panther back on it, it really sped up. So, if you want to update the OS I'd put Tiger on it as it is still pretty recent.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You really don't want to put Leopard on the iBook. It will slow it way down. At best you'll want to put Tiger on it. I have an iMac G4 right now (1GHz with 512MB RAM) and it really crawled on Leopard, but as soon I put Panther back on it, it really sped up. So, if you want to update the OS I'd put Tiger on it as it is still pretty recent.

I think the issue with your iMac is probably too little ram. If you put another gig or whatever it will take, it should run leopard decently.

OP, I would max out the RAM and install leopard, so you can run newer versions of software (iTunes, safari, etc). It won't be crazy fast, but it should run decently for a computer that old.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think the issue with your iMac is probably too little ram. If you put another gig or whatever it will take, it should run leopard decently.

OP, I would max out the RAM and install leopard, so you can run newer versions of software (iTunes, safari, etc). It won't be crazy fast, but it should run decently for a computer that old.

I also have a PowerBook G4 with 1.25GB of RAM and it is also pretty sluggish on Leopard. Although Tiger is a good bit faster.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 11, 2010
where can i get a copy of a leopard installation disc? (or tiger) should i trust ebay for something like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.