Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carnivor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I've tried finding some but maybe someone can point me in the right direction, and im sure it must be possible.

I want a noise cancelling app. maybe also with the option to listen to music at the same time.

I work in a room with some ppl that just don't know how to be quiet and i like to sit with my head burried in designing ms access db's, i like to concentrate on it undisturbed.

i've tried to find apps searching for noise cancelling, noise reduction, noise block, sound block, etc, closest i could find was one that blocked out vuvzela noise, you listened to your tv through the headphones and could filter out that noise.

but i want to be able to just pop headphones in and it cancels out all external noise so i can be in silence, or it work on with me listening my ipod library.

This must be possible if not already done and i cant find it.

Please help my productivity...

sorry, i've posted this in the ipad apps, i want it for iphone 4, if someone could move it it'd be great!

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I've tried finding some but maybe someone can point me in the right direction, and im sure it must be possible.

I want a noise cancelling app. maybe also with the option to listen to music at the same time.

I work in a room with some ppl that just don't know how to be quiet and i like to sit with my head burried in designing ms access db's, i like to concentrate on it undisturbed.

i've tried to find apps searching for noise cancelling, noise reduction, noise block, sound block, etc, closest i could find was one that blocked out vuvzela noise, you listened to your tv through the headphones and could filter out that noise.

but i want to be able to just pop headphones in and it cancels out all external noise so i can be in silence, or it work on with me listening my ipod library.

sorry, i've posted this in the ipad apps, i want it for iphone 4, if someone could move it it'd be great!

You will need to purchase noise canceling headphones for this. No app can get rid of random sounds. The only reason it was able to be done with the vuzeula was because it was a known noise. Other scenarios are totally different. Hardware is the best way to do what you ask. Even those won't get rid of all noise.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Bose NC headphones!

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Try various phones before buying

I spend quite a bit of time flying both commercial and executive and over the years, have used most of the noise cancelling phones available. I would suggest trying Bose QC3 and QC15 models and Sennheiser PXC 450. The fit is different and the sound characteristic is as well. I would say that the Sennheiser is better for classical and the Bose for other sorts and movies. The Bose QC3 uses rechargeable batteries and the Sennheiser and QC15 use a regular AAA. I bought the Sennheiser as 95% of my listening is classical. If the battery dies on the Sennheiser, you can switch them to bypass. In a quiet environment, on bypass, IMHO, the sound quality of the Sennheiser is stunning, where the slightly thinner bass, in comparison to the Bose, fills in beautifully. I also have a set of Sennheiser PXC100 - don't bother - very poor. I have also used the Sony and Phillips noise cancelling phones but I don't think they are in the same league as either of the Bose or the Sennheiser PXC 450.

Wilson

AutoVolume

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011

I think my app can help you with your problem.

banner_250x250.png

It's called AutoVolume (Automatic Music Volume Control for iPhone) and it will be SOON on AppStore.

http://AutoVolumeApp.com

video: http://youtu.be/GggQ-I-U2b0

AutoVolume is a cool iPhone app that will constantly measure the outside noise level with the iPhone's built in microphone and then gracefully adjust the music volume depending on the noise outside and your personal settings.

Use it while traveling on noisy transport that is making stops, walking on loud streets. It is also able to instantly lower the music volume when noise is heard (limiter). Making it useful in office or during any kind of activity that requires your sudden attention. More over it responds when you start talking.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More details and brainstorming on blog: http://AutoVolumeApp.com

You can SIGN UP now and you will be NOTIFIED when AutoVolume is available on the AppStore! Click to sign up now: http://eepurl.com/fmQdM

Like me on facebook and I will work harder: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AutoVolume-for-iPhone/120849118011866

Twitter: http://twitter.com/AutoVolume

Panamajeepster

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2012
Almost but not quite

I think my app can help you with your problem.
AutoVolume is a cool iPhone app that will constantly measure the outside noise level with the iPhone's built in microphone and then gracefully adjust the music volume depending on the noise outside and your personal settings.

It would be cool that instead of raising the volume to mask out noise we had an app that would counter the noise wavelength so we can listen to our music at the consistent volume we want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.