Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
My iPhone 3GS is set to change time automatically with the Daylight Savings change. That worked as the phone time itself is correct, but the times for the different places in the built-in World Clock app are still off by an hour (they are on the old time). This is also true of my husband's iPhone 3G. Strangely, I have an iPod touch that adjusted both its system time and the World Clock times without difficulty.

I have tried syncing the phone, toggling on/off the update time automatically, and rebooting, but the time is still incorrect. If I try adding a new place, it will also have the wrong time.

There may also be an issue with other apps - the ESPN app had the start time of a game today off by an hour as well.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Edit: To clarify, the times are wrong for US cities that do observe DST, such as New York, Chicago, etc.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Some more info on this issue - the CBS Sports NCAA March Madness app also is reporting incorrect times. It has a "Countdown to Selection Sunday" timer that is wrong on my iPhone but correct on the iPod touch. Again, the system time on the iPhone outwardly appears to be correct, but all of these apps have it wrong, so it seems to be something wrong with the iPhone time itself, not just individual apps. Is anyone else experiencing this?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
iPhone Time

mine did not change I had to do it myself. but I just found that my world clock was not set on chicago time so that might have been the issue.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I am also finding this affects Mail - sending email from two different accounts shows the wrong time stamp when sent from my iPhone but correct if I send it from the computer. All while the time on my iPhone looks like it should be right.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
email

mine worked fine in email. but I have already reset the world clock that I am using and didnt check it before so I dont know if that is why it works or not.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I've been playing around with this some more. If I turn off automatic updating, it gives the option to set the time manually. I pick "New York" since I'm in Eastern time and it gives me the wrong, pre-DST time for New York, which I can then change. When I change that, everything else then works - the apps, mail, etc. That makes me wonder if it's something about the server they use for the automatic updating, but it's just odd that it seems to automatically set some things correctly, but not everything.

UngratefulNinja

macrumors 68000
May 9, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just checked my world clock and it's working fine, and I didn't touch any settings, so I think it might be something on your system. I wish I had better advice, but I just wanted to verify that it isn't happening here at least.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
I just checked my world clock and it's working fine, and I didn't touch any settings, so I think it might be something on your system. I wish I had better advice, but I just wanted to verify that it isn't happening here at least.

That helps to know that - it again makes me wonder if it's a server thing, maybe something with AT&T's time? My husband's iPhone 3G and my iPhone 3GS have the same problem, but my iPod touch updated automatically perfectly, with no issues in any of the apps.

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
today 3/14 can't set alarm to 2:30am

my 3gs updated its time (set to automatic) correctly but when i try to set up the alarm to 2:30am, it gets set to 1:30am. but when i try to set up the clock to 3:30am, the alarm is set correctly. it's only when i try to set the alarm to 2:30am. it just wouldn't. anyone else having the same issue.

Mykill100

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Alarm is out here

Although my 3GS says the correct time and I only have the one clock showing GMT my alarm which is set to go off at 6:30am didnt go off till 7:30am so theres deffo something wrong with the update servers. Ive tried setting it manually, turning it on and off it just wont work. I'm late today the bedside alarm busted about 2 weeks ago and I havent bothered replacing it, I'll make sure I do after this wake up call from Apple tech:apple::confused:

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
Although my 3GS says the correct time and I only have the one clock showing GMT my alarm which is set to go off at 6:30am didnt go off till 7:30am so theres deffo something wrong with the update servers. Ive tried setting it manually, turning it on and off it just wont work. I'm late today the bedside alarm busted about 2 weeks ago and I havent bothered replacing it, I'll make sure I do after this wake up call from Apple tech:apple::confused:

Same issue UK wide, a number of people got caught out today.... not the best start to the week!

Mykill100

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Setting the time back

Ive just noticed that all these posts but mine are American and it appears you put your clocks back a week ago where ours went back 2am Sunday morning 31st October here in England. Obviously this non universal time change will effect world clocks on the 3GS but doesnt explain the alarm problem.

naryn

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2009
London calling.

My 7am alarm which still says 7am, went off at 8am this morning after the clocks changed from BST to GMT on Saturday. Lucky not to be late for work!

n

ashmall

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Better excuse than "leaves on the line"?

Quick poll of iPhone 3 / 4 users here on N. London school run shows same problem for everyone!
System clock updated fine from BST to GMT on Sunday 31st but all alarms set for 06:00, 06:15, etc went off at 07:00, 07:15 whilst still showing as 06:00, 06:15 in the Clock / Alarm app.
Despite annoyance and bad start to the week, at least it showed that my son CAN get up, dressed and out the door in 10 mins flat!! Just hope we don't get this every day!

Can we assume it is "feature" between the alarm app and system clock that will be addressed in future updates?

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2009
USA
Ive just noticed that all these posts but mine are American and it appears you put your clocks back a week ago where ours went back 2am Sunday morning 31st October here in England. Obviously this non universal time change will effect world clocks on the 3GS but doesnt explain the alarm problem.

The American posts in this thread are from the Spring time change. We haven't changed our clocks yet here for the fall. But it sounds like we will probably have issues too again this time.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
in the USA our clocks wont change for the fall until Saturday the 7th of Nov. but I guess technically is actually Sunday the 8th cause it happens at like 1 or 2 am. but Im usually passed out by then! :D

jer16

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
London calling.

My 7am alarm which still says 7am, went off at 8am this morning after the clocks changed from BST to GMT on Saturday. Lucky not to be late for work!

n

So did mine. It only affected a repeated alarm (repeat afer 1 week) not the one I set up as a one-off. So I turned off the duff alarm and turned it on again.

Seems like an Apple bug (maggot?) though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.