Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michiel1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm new to the forum,
but i want to ask you guy's if i should buy a Powermac G5 2.0 Ghz:cool: for running Photoshop 7 or CS from it and an old version of Final Cut Pro and use it as my maine machine for browsing, also can you watch high quality YouTube videos on it i? because heard that powermac's suck at YouTube videos.

Michiel:apple:

ps. sorry for my poor English i'm dutch :D

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm new to the forum,
but i want to ask you guy's if i should buy a Powermac G5 2.0 Ghz:cool: for running Photoshop 7 or CS from it and an old version of Final Cut Pro and use it as my maine machine for browsing, also can you watch high quality YouTube videos on it i? because heard that powermac's suck at YouTube videos.

Michiel:apple:

ps. sorry for my poor English i'm dutch :D

I think that for Photoshop 7 and any version of Final Cut Pro pre Version 7 it should work fine :) (FCP7 is why I got my Pro) - It will let you watch the videos, and with the right upgrades it can cope with HD Video, however it will be a lot worse than a Intel Mac, and soon it might not work too great - itll run FCP and Photoshop 7/CS fine (I have Photoshop CS on my PowerMac G4/450 and its useable on that!)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The PowerMac G5 is quite a powerful computer, so I'm sure it will handle Photoshop and other video/photo software pretty easily. However, since its not intel, you cannot run Snow Leopard on it, only Leopard. And you may not be able to run the latest version of Photoshop. The latest version is 5, but you'll probably have to make do with version 4 ;)

To my knowledge, an older version of Final Cut Pro (a version made at the time of the machine) will run perfectly fine.

I'm not too sure about HD YouTube. It should be able to handle normal YouTube fine, but since its not an intel it might struggle a little with HD streaming. I could be wrong though.

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Yes it will run well. I can run adobe CS3 with a imac G5 at 1.8ghz. I recommend you to not spend more than 650$ unless there is more than 2GB of memory.

michiel1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Yes it will run well. I can run adobe CS3 with a imac G5 at 1.8ghz. I recommend you to not spend more than 650$ unless there is more than 2GB of memory.

only 200,- euro's (i live in Europe)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
does anyone know some nice games/software to run on it??

Hmm, well thats a bit sticky. You see, it is no intel, so its not that suited to run really new games that only support intel. But its too new for Classic mac games. However, if you had Tiger on the machine instead of Leopard you MAY be able to boot classic mode and play the cool classic mac games.

The computer MIGHT be a bit new to use Classic, I'm not sure. Oh, and Tiger is the last OS that supports classic. Leopard does not. If your getting Tiger anyway it might be worth a shot though.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I think the g5 will be sufficient enough for what you plan to do in terms of editing.

However you may experience some problems with watching youtube hd.

For future-proofing you have to go intel because I'm sure soon no software developers will support powermac machines.

Mind you it's what you need it for and by the sounds of it you should get by fine.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I think the g5 will be sufficient enough for what you plan to do in terms of editing.

For future-proofing you have to go intel because I'm sure soon no software developers will support powermac machines.

Mind you it's what you need it for and by the sounds of it you should get by fine.

Yes, but you can still stick with the older versions of programs like CS and Photoshop.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

*cough* You have a PowerBook G4 and nothing newer apparently :p - I can just about get HD ones to play on my FF-Class PowerBook G4 if I let them load. And software dosent have to be current - I mean I was using Soundtrack Pro 1.0 on my G4/1.67 until I got STP3 as part of FCS on my Mac Pro about a week ago xD (Nice large upgrade).

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
I love my G5 no Mather what (would like Intel to play CS SOURCE, but that's about it) for web and other stuff G5 is a superb machine (have 2x1 TB hdd's +1 external , would like to have more drives , but it can be done adding a SATA card)

Here are my games and my programs , a lot of stuff, I tried , I need a fresh osx install after all the tests (but don't have the time)

Buy the G5 and make a ceap AMD dual core pc (or buy a DELL for the games you need on windows , a new ceap 5450 1gb gddr3 should do the trick in any games)
I'am hunting for a Mac pro 1.1 at around 500e but that's my limit , found a another G5 last week and ordered it (has bad OSX - hope that's the only problem- hope it will arrive today)

Attachments

• Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    882.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    550.8 KB · Views: 111

Hughm

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Vancouver
Buy it.

I run the Adobe Design Suite CS3 (including Photoshop) on my G4 (1.25 CPU, 2G RAM) with ease. I'm sure a g5 will be just as good - if not better.

michiel1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
would a 1.6 Ghz G5 do the job to? and can i watch good quality youtube on it??:D

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
It will be fine. I edit HD video on my dual core 2.0 G5. That's why I got it when it came out in the first place. I would recommend a decent video card upgrade and as much RAM as you can afford.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.