Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
when you turn down the brightness all the way in a room with the light on is the apple logo suppose to be visible through the screen?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You shouldn't be able to see it through the screen under any circumstances.

This is not necessarily true. Both the Apple logo and the screen get their light from the same backlight, so obviously if the backlight is off it is possible for a small amount of light to bleed through the logo onto the screen. I can see a very faint and fuzzy Apple logo if I turn off the backlight on my 11" and hold the back up to a bright light.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
You mean with the brightness all the way down and a source of light behind the screen you can see light in the area of the apple logo? Yep, just tested it. Makes sense. Light can obviously pass through the Apple logo, so why shouldn't it be able to go the other way and light up the screen?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
This is not necessarily true. Both the Apple logo and the screen get their light from the same backlight, so obviously if the backlight is off it is possible for a small amount of light to bleed through the logo onto the screen. I can see a very faint and fuzzy Apple logo if I turn off the backlight on my 11" and hold the back up to a bright light.

Ah ok, I was thinking backlight still on, but at its lowest setting. That does make sense.

karkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
not acceptable to me.. i'm going to take my MBA back to the apple store i was already doubting the purchase. I mean at 2000 i don't expect to see the logo through the screen even if the screen is off you don't see if on a 2000 dollar macbook pro ....

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
not acceptable to me.. i'm going to take my MBA back to the apple store i was already doubting the purchase. I mean at 2000 i don't expect to see the logo through the screen even if the screen is off you don't see if on a 2000 dollar macbook pro ....

I can absolutely see the exact same thing on my 15" Macbook Pro as I can on my 11" Air. Exactly how bright of a light is behind your computer and how dark is the room when this is happening? I can only see it if I literally hold my computer up to a light if it's not pitch black in the room. When you say your brightness is all the way down, you mean the screen is completely dark, right?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I can absolutely see the exact same thing on my 15" Macbook Pro as I can on my 11" Air. Exactly how bright of a light is behind your computer and how dark is the room when this is happening? I can only see it if I literally hold my computer up to a light if it's not pitch black in the room. When you say your brightness is all the way down, you mean the screen is completely dark, right?

I've got both my MBP and my MBA with me today. If I turn towards the window, shades open, and turn down the backlighting on both...I can clearly see the Apple logo underneath the display. Clearly, bright sunlight will outshine dimmed backlighting. The thin screen of the MBA simply amplifies things.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I noticed this on my 2010 MBP. But I had my computer in front of a window as the sun was rising and my brightness turned all the way down. I saw something in the middle of the screen and thought something had hit it but then I turned the screen backlight off and saw that it was the Apple logo.

Then I increased the brightness past two notches and didn't notice it again...

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
You shouldn't be able to see it through the screen under any circumstances.

you definitely see the apple logo when sun is shining onto the back of the screen. a strong spot light will do as well. however when the screen is on it is not visible unless you watch night scenes in a movie with the sun burning onto the back of the screen

well my $2799 MBP does that too and I'm totally fine with it since in normal use there is no way for me to notice it.

BTW: turn the backlight to full power and open a black picture full screen. the turn off the lights in the room and check out the light bleeding. looks horrible and also has no consequences for normal use.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Sounds like buyers remorse. I'm curious, why we're you doubting the purchase before this problem came up?

karkid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
well i sold the MBP 15.4 i5 to get this because i have a killer desktop... i miss my backlight, it doesn't sound like a big deal but to me it is.

And now i have the opportunity to pick up a maxed out 15.4 with 256gb ssd 2.8ghz i7 8gb ram antiglare screen for 1900 off a local classified add so i'm considering it.

i'm sitting in a lecture hall and this is where i noticed the apple logo on the screen with the brightness ALL the way down

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
I noticed it with bright light behind it (as it should be; worst-case scenario), but then again with ambient light in a relatively low-lit room as well.

I do believe this *shouldn't* be an "acceptable" part of the build of an expensive machine. If they want a lit logo, come up with another solution.

Having said that, I won't be returning mine. I'll just be covering up the logo. :D

Bluemeanie1976

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2009
Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
This has been the case since my white macbook. Not really that much of an issue, is it, really? You must have your screen brightness on very low, and have quite a strong light behind the macbook.

hsl

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
If there's a lamp somewhere behind your screen you could see it through the screen. If you can't change the lightning in your "situation" get a cheap sticker on etsy ;-)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is nothing new. This happens on ALL Apple notebooks (yes, even PowerBooks) with a backlit Apple logo. Honestly I've only had this issue every once in a blue moon when the sun is beating down on my notebook. In that case it's usually blinding me too so I just move. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007

I've seen that exact thing on my past 2 15" MacBook Pros. It's physics at work.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
This is nothing new. This happens on ALL Apple notebooks (yes, even PowerBooks) with a backlit Apple logo. Honestly I've only had this issue every once in a blue moon when the sun is beating down on my notebook. In that case it's usually blinding me too so I just move. Not an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. This is secret "added value" ;) :p

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

The highest spec MBA is the 13" 2.1GHz with 256SSD and 4GB ram and it prices at $1799. How are you arriving at $2000? Understandable if you can't deal with the logo showing through the screen, but I have a 15" Core i5 MBP and I see the logo as well. The only way to escape this is to not buy anymore Apple Macbooks.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I just checked my new 13" MBA, my 15" mid 2010 15" MBP and my 13" MBP, they all do that.

Personally I think it's quite interesting and certainly _not_ a problem.

Oh... and I'm typing this on my new MBA and it hasn't blown up yet... :)

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
The highest spec MBA is the 13" 2.1GHz with 256SSD and 4GB ram and it prices at $1799. How are you arriving at $2000? Understandable if you can't deal with the logo showing through the screen, but I have a 15" Core i5 MBP and I see the logo as well. The only way to escape this is to not buy anymore Apple Macbooks.

Clearly a semantical argument irrelevant to the point he's trying to make, but my MBA was $1799 + 8.75% sales tax, + $14 for expedited shipping. That's $1970. That's close enough to $2k, and in any event, his number didn't need to be exactly right for his point to be taken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.