Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NaomiSmithxO

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
London
Hey all,
So i've had my iPhone 4 for over a month and abit and recently the camera shutter when you go on the camera application doesn't open, which means I can't take any pictures.

I've restored the phone and its the same situation.

So am going to book an appointment to get it fixed, just a quick question, if it does get replaced will I loose my data such as my levels on Angry Birds, contacts etc.

I know the iPhone makes back ups when syncing with iTunes, but yeah just that quick question..

EDIT: When I say it, i'm referring to the phone as a whole.

NaomiSmithxO

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
London
what makes you think that the "shutter" is hardware?

No one said I did.

I'm talking about the screen that appears after you press the camera icon..

The title refers to again the screen that appears after you open the camera app... Not in the mood, I just want my phone to be fixed.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
From what you've written, it sounds like you have had this problem from the start, in which case a new phone is definitely in order.
I've had a similar thing happen on two random occasions, so for those who have a random version of this problem, here was what happened and my solution.
After pressing the Camera icon, the shutter wouldn't open. In both situations, I had to plug the phone into a charger and hold the ON and HOME buttons for between 10 and 30 seconds to restart the system. Camera worked fine after that.
Hope that helps some at least.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Agree with what Mliii said. If the aperture doesn't open on the screen, try and reboot the phone with the home/power buttons. If that doesnt work, a trip to see your local friendly apple genius is in order.

If you back up your phone and then restore the replacement with that backup, you should still have your levels....I think.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
I've recently had my phone replaced for the EXACT same issue. I went through and done all these guys are saying...it's a hardware issue. The device that brings both cameras to the device has faulted (where both cameras eventually meet). Basically, neither cameras will work so you are stuck without facetime and the ability to take any pictures. You are able to do screenshots but it ends there. I called Apple up and they replaced my phone free of charge. I just had them ship me a new one and it was $29 for processing and shipping or whatever. Hope your new phone arrives free of faults.

NaomiSmithxO

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
London
Thanks for the awesome replies guys, Genius appointment booked for 8PM tonight.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks. :D

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
This happens to me occasionally (but definitely not every time), so I know how frustrating this is. Let me know what the GB says.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
This happens to me occasionally (but definitely not every time), so I know how frustrating this is. Let me know what the GB says.
Just thought I'd chime in with my story. I used to have this problem occasionally when I was on 4.0.1. Sometimes the phone would even reboot itself when opening the camera. Since upgrading to 4.1 it has been fine.
The original poster said they had restored, so I am assuming they are using 4.1 already.

NaomiSmithxO

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
London
Hey guys,

So I went to the Apple store today about the issue (I completely messed up the timing with my previous appointment haha/), the lady did the diagnostic test on my phone and it showed that apps were crashing and she also acknowledged the issue with the camera.

She gave me a new phone. She said she could replace the camera but it would take around 20 mins, but she said because of the apps crashing aswell that she'd just give me a new phone. Which I have. :)

So for now problem sorted. :D

mikedecaro

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I brought my phone in to the apple store for the same issue. The guy there saw the problem, immediately said it was a hardware issue, and swapped it. No questions asked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.