Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114610-light_peak_banner.jpg

CNET reports that Intel is preparing to launch its Light Peak high-speed computer connection standard as soon as early next year, paving the way for 10 Gbps connections.
Light Peak is now on track to appear in products in the first half of 2011--and likely earlier in the year than later, according to an industry source familiar with the progress of the technology. Light Peak is significantly faster than even USB 3.0, carrying data at 10 gigabits per second in both directions simultaneously.
Apple is expected to play a key role in the deployment of Light Peak, as the company was said to have played a key role in the development of the technology.
. . .Apple is expected to back Light Peak, if past comments from Intel still hold. Shortly after its annual developer conference in 2009, Intel said that it had showed the technology to third parties, got feedback, then incorporated the feedback into the next design, adding, at that time, that "Apple is an innovating force in the industry." (Apple has reportedly claimed that it conceived the idea for Light Peak.)

If Apple implements Light Peak, it would be a safe bet that the company will have a lot to say about the technology--maybe with a catchy name in tow. And it would probably not be wild speculation to say that Apple would want to be the first to use it.
The apparently-imminent release of Light Peak technology could explain the reluctance of Intel to adopt support for USB 3.0 in its chipsets and Apple CEO Steve Jobs' recent claims that the company doesn't see USB 3.0 "taking off". With the two companies reportedly collaborating on the even faster Light Peak standard envisioned as a replacement for USB, FireWire and various display connector standards, they may simply have decided to bypass USB 3.0 entirely.

Article Link: Light Peak Coming in Early 2011 With Apple at Forefront?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
If it's faster and better, why not
Let's just hope they do it sooner than later, before USB3.0 gets mainstream

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
As I recall, Apple backed blu-ray as well. We see how well that went.

This would be awesome to see, though.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
How is this anything like the mini-display port? With Intel backing/designing it, this could easily become a new industry standard. A replacement for USB 3 - as TFS states. Good grief :rolleyes:.

Hitchophilia

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Hopefully Apple finds a way to sneak 'power over lightpeak' into the standard spec.

Otherwise it's nice, but won't replace USB3.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
At least this promises significant performance gains, rather than being a differently-shaped plug.
While I do appreciate the benefits on a single high bandwidth connector for a variety of uses, it's just that USB 3.0 is plentiful and I expect Apple to create it's own feedback loop of an ecosystem until Monoprice can sell the same thing for pennies.

hippeman

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
What exactly do we gain with this new plug? Faster transfers on external devices like HardDrives? I'd like to know.. TIA

Hitchophilia

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
a copper pair for power and a optical pair for data transfer..

It's not standard as far as I'm aware.

People will need to know that power is available by default or it simply will not replace USB3 for peripherals and portable HDDs.

Think eSata and the awful add on eSatap. Niche at best.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What exactly do we gain with this new plug? Faster transfers on external devices like HardDrives? I'd like to know.. TIA

I think it also acts as an even more universal replacement for ports than USB, since it'll also replace FireWire AND display connectors. Or so it seems.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Noooo!!! I just bought a 2010 6-Core! I even researched and checked the odds of Apple incorporating Light Peak into their systems and felt fairly confident it wouldn't be until 2012. So much for fairly confident lol. Oh well, technology.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Noooo!!! I just bought a 2010 6-Core! I even researched and checked the odds of Apple incorporating Light Peak into their systems and felt fairly confident it wouldn't be until 2012. So much for fairly confident lol. Oh well, technology.

This is only a rumour though. It may not happen till late next year at earliest. But i do see your point :D

joskewarez

macrumors member
May 29, 2010
It's not standard as far as I'm aware.

People will need to know that power is available by default or it simply will not replace USB3 for peripherals and portable HDDs.

Think eSata and the awful add on eSatap. Niche at best.

indeed, it's not a standard, but it is very likely that it will become a bus-powered interface.
by the way for the european people: the apple store is down, something new is coming?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006

I'm sure there will be Light Peak PCI cards. Congrats on your Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.