Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
Hello all,

I'm new to Mac and was under the impression that my iMac (which I bought a couple of months ago) would be able to find my existing wireless network at home (Netgear router).

Initially I had the iMac connected to the router via an ethernet cable. It has been working fine under that setup. Today I moved the iMac upstairs thinking it would find our wireless network, but no dice.

Both our iPhone and our iPad are able to find the network. Not to mention the Windows 7 laptop I'm typing this on now.

I feel like I'm missing something basic due to my PC based upbringing.

Thanks in advance.

lieb39

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I apologize for the basic.. but one has to be sure.
Airport Turned on?

Do you receive reception with your iPhone in that same spot as your iMac?

Is your SSID hidden? Try to enter the network name manually.

Does the iMac pickup any wifi networks?

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
No need to apologize. I click on "Turn Airport On" and as far as I can tell nothing happens.

No problems with the iPhone in this location.

If my SSID is hidden, this is the only device that thinks so.

Is it possible that I don't have an Airport on my iMac?

I must be missing something very basic. This can't be this hard.

Thanks for your reply.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
is there any, firewire, or ethernet cords plugged into your imac? is there any bluetooth use? if so, click on the "gear" next to + and - and cselect "set service order" and drag airport to top of list.

if not,

try this:

system pref ->netwwork

highlight airport (click), then hit the minus button.

Airport will have disappeared.

Click "+" choose Airport from drop down menu.

If its not first, click on the "gear" next to + and - and cselect "set service order" and drag it to top of list.

btw, is there encryption on your network?

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
More info. When I use the network setup assistant "I use AirPort to connect the Internet wirelessly" is grayed out, i.e. not an option.

It's looking more and more that this iMac doesn't have wireless capability. I didn't know I could buy a device that didn't have wireless.

Thanks in advance.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
when you said, you bought it a few months ago, i assumed you bought it brand new from apple.

did u not?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
click on ":apple:" -> about this mac -> more info ->

scan sidebar for network, where you will find airport. click airport and see what it says.

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
Thanks Toby

I '-'ed the Airport option. Now I can't find it on either the drop down or the gear button.

Might be time to plug back in.

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
I figured out how to get the airport back on my "Automatic" location. Still when I click to turn it on, nuthin.

I've tried putting the IP addy and subnet masks in manually. I getting tired of me, I can only imagine how you must feel. Thanks.

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
On the same table I have my work laptop and the iPhone. Each of them is connected to my wireless network.

I'm in "Network Diagnostics" now. It's been scanning for a wireless network for a while. :confused:

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
did system profiler acknowledge the presence of an airport card via my directions about clicking on the :apple: in your menu bar?

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
OK. so then you've established you got the hardware in there.
so unless your hardware is bad, its a software fix.

did you go to networks under system pref's?
what is listed on the sidebar in "networks"?

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
OK. so then you've established you got the hardware in there.
so unless your hardware is bad, its a software fix.

did you go to networks under system pref's?
what is listed on the sidebar in "networks"?

AirPort
Off

Ethernet
Not Connected

FireWire
Not Connected

This is the sidebar of the "Automatic" Location.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
ok, in network prefs, if airport says its off, look for button on opposite side that says turn airport on. if its on already, or won't turn on, highlight airport, click on the 'gear' next to the '+' and '-' 3rd item down should say "Make Service Active", click it. (if its says instead "make service INactive", dont click it)

then update me

jhaslauer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Arkansas
ok, in network prefs, if airport says its off, look for button on opposite side that says turn airport on. if its on already, or won't turn on, highlight airport, click on the 'gear' next to the '+' and '-' 3rd item down should say "Make Service Active", click it. (if its says instead "make service INactive", dont click it)

then update me

It says "Make Service Inactive".

REBUITRON

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
Thanks Toby

is there any, firewire, or ethernet cords plugged into your imac? is there any bluetooth use? if so, click on the "gear" next to + and - and cselect "set service order" and drag airport to top of list.

if not,

try this:

system pref ->netwwork

highlight airport (click), then hit the minus button.

Airport will have disappeared.

Click "+" choose Airport from drop down menu.

If its not first, click on the "gear" next to + and - and cselect "set service order" and drag it to top of list.

btw, is there encryption on your network?

Thanks Toby...I lost my connection last Friday and tried everything to resolve the problem. After reading your post and doing something as simple as Clicking the Add button, voila!! It was back...thanks again.

Toby Goodbar

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks Toby...I lost my connection last Friday and tried everything to resolve the problem. After reading your post and doing something as simple as Clicking the Add button, voila!! It was back...thanks again.

Thanx for the thanx! Your welcome, I'm glad my posts could help someone out.

lazeinadream

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
can't find any wireless networks on my iMac

Toby - I read through your help for the other person, and I've got the same issue. However, that last step still hasn't fixed it for me. Wondering if you can help me diagnose whether I've got a software or hardware problem?

Network settings: Airport = On and Enabled. (No wireless network found)

There is 100% a valid wireless network. I've connected on my MacBook. I can't connect on this iMac (which I recently inherited).

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x89)
Wireless Card Locale: Unknown
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.21)
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Plugging directly into the router with an ethernet card DOES work.

Any thoughts on diagnosing this?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.