Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Mar 4, 2007, 02:32 AM   #1
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Help? (Defining "Next Song" in iTunes)

With iTunes, how do you schedule a song to play next while the current song is playing?
chasemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 02:47 AM   #2
fistful
macrumors 6502a

Tried creating a playlist?
fistful is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 02:54 AM   #3
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

Use Party Shuffle?

Go into Preferences > General and turn it on, if it was originally turned off.
spicyapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 03:40 AM   #4
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyapple View Post
Use Party Shuffle?

Go into Preferences > General and turn it on, if it was originally turned off.
Hmm. Not really. I want to select the next song while the current one is playing. I would like to put a song in queue. Get it ready to play next while the current is playing. By the why, hows it going? Nice locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistful View Post
Tried creating a playlist?
Why? Could you tell me why?

Last edited by WildCowboy; Mar 5, 2007 at 12:53 AM. Reason: post merge
Old Mar 4, 2007, 03:47 AM   #5
Butters
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemac View Post
Hmm. Not really. I want to select the next song while the current one is playing. I would like to put a song in queue. Get it ready to play while the current is playing.
Yes Party shuffle it.

then right/ctrl click the song u wanna play next and choose "Play Next In Party Shuffle"
Old Mar 4, 2007, 04:00 AM   #6
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Yes Party shuffle it.

then right/ctrl click the song u wanna play next and choose "Play Next In Party Shuffle"
Yes, but it will play right away. Sorry, but I want it to play after the current song playing. Am I missing something? I don't want to use Party Shuffle because strangely, I can't search other music with it like I want.

Last edited by chasemac; Mar 4, 2007 at 04:09 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 04:27 AM   #7
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

I selected a song. Played it and (right clicked it then selected add to party shuffle and then selected another song right clicked and selected play next it party shuffle. )Didn't work. Play something already.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 05:35 AM   #8
4nr-
macrumors regular

you have to click "PLAY NEXT IN PARTY SHUFFLE", not add to party shuffle. It's not that hard.
4nr- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2007, 05:37 AM   #9
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Yes, but it will play right away. Sorry, but I want it to play after the current song playing. Am I missing something? I don't want to use Party Shuffle because strangely, I can't search other music with it like I want.
Yes, it will start playing at once, unless you are already playing songs from the Party Shuffle playlist, then the song you added will be - you guessed it - the next song played...
Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:28 AM   #10
fistful
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Why? Could you tell me why?
I guess I didn't think the question all the way through. All I know is that you can change the song play order while listening to a playlist, this obviously doesn't help if you're in your library.
fistful is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11
scirdan
macrumors newbie

missing feature I agree

I think whats missing here is, while I am playing a song from the entire library, I should be able to line up songs to play next by clicking on a song and clicking something like "play next in the queue". I dont want to make a playlist and i dont want to have a party, I just want to listen to song #2 once song #1 ends as i go through the list of songs (I pick my favorites on the fly and .. something like "this would be great to hear next"..)

Even windows media player allows you to queue songs from the library up for playing..
scirdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:06 AM   #12
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirdan View Post
I think whats missing here is, while I am playing a song from the entire library, I should be able to line up songs to play next by clicking on a song and clicking something like "play next in the queue".
You mean something like "Play in iTunes DJ", "Play Next in iTunes DJ" or "Add to iTunes DJ"?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	73
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	207139

iTunes DJ is the new name of the above mentioned Party Shuffle, BTW, and the feature has become a lot better in the couple of years since this thread was made...
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:26 AM   #13
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitthrawnuruodo View Post
iTunes DJ is the new name of the above mentioned Party Shuffle, BTW, and the feature has become a lot better in the couple of years since this thread was made...
How so? The only useful difference I've seen is that now if you right-click on a playing song and select Play in iTunes DJ, the play continues seamlessly. Other than that, the iPhone remote voting feature? Bloody useless.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:59 PM   #14
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirdan View Post
I think whats missing here is, while I am playing a song from the entire library, I should be able to line up songs to play next by clicking on a song and clicking something like "play next in the queue". I dont want to make a playlist and i dont want to have a party, I just want to listen to song #2 once song #1 ends as i go through the list of songs (I pick my favorites on the fly and .. something like "this would be great to hear next"..)

Even windows media player allows you to queue songs from the library up for playing..
That is it! It has taken forever to get the point across! From the Entire Library! Right click! Play next!!

Last edited by chasemac; Jan 15, 2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: because
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:34 AM   #15
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

Quote:
That is it! It has taken forever to get the point across! From the Entire Library! Right click! Play next!!
You.
Can.
Already.
Do.
This.

How many times do I have to say it?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:30 PM   #16
subdubba
macrumors newbie

iTunes' fatal flaw

You have discovered the chink in iTunes' armor. Curiously, unlike virtually every other music player, you can't be listening to a song from your main library and select another song or songs to play after the current one finishes. The whole process of making a separate playlist or using DJ is silly and annoying. MusicMatch had it right ages ago. Who thought would convolute things?

I hope I'm wrong. Please tell me there's a play next feature (without having to start in DJ!) and clearly tell me how to use it (especially on the iPhone!).
subdubba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:22 PM   #17
BlueRevolution
macrumors 601

That's what the DJ is for. What's the problem with that?
Old Jul 1, 2010, 04:50 PM   #18
joeliolio
macrumors newbie

Subdubba, this doesn't really solve your problem of not wanting to use the iTunes DJ/Dance Party Mix, but does let you start choosing your playlist without having to stop the currently playing song. (After the songs you've "added to the DJ" are over, it will continue playing the "DJ"s picks):

While your current song is playing, Right click and select "Play next in iTunes DJ". This will make it the first (0th) song in DJ as it is already playing. The next song you choose to "Play next in iTunes DJ" will be the next song you hear.
joeliolio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 01:59 AM   #19
csmarkham
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeliolio View Post
While your current song is playing, Right click and select "Play next in iTunes DJ". This will make it the first (0th) song in DJ as it is already playing. The next song you choose to "Play next in iTunes DJ" will be the next song you hear.
This is true, but the OP's request/workflow/need still isn't met. I totally get what he wants. An ad-hoc playlist out of the library, starting now, playing as he builds it. If you use DJ, each tune you pick to "Play next..." will go to the top of the play next queue, not be appended to it. So if you're playing Song1, add Song2, then add Song3, Song4, what you'll hear is Song1, Song4, Song3, Song2.

I, too, am looking for the ability to browse my library while a song is playing and pick the next 5 or 20 songs to play in that order, so I can go on about whatever else I want to do.
csmarkham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 09:19 AM   #20
inket
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmarkham View Post
I, too, am looking for the ability to browse my library while a song is playing and pick the next 5 or 20 songs to play in that order, so I can go on about whatever else I want to do.
I hope I'm not intruding. (Sorry for the bump)

I got tired of waiting for Apple to add this so I went ahead and made an app for it. It's called "Next" and it's on the Mac App Store so check it out.
inket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:18 PM   #21
5vforest
macrumors newbie

To anyone out there reading...

I couldn't find inket's application, but I did find an old applescript that is supposed to do the same thing.

However, it wasn't working and needed to be updated for iTunes 10. I have done so and the new script is available here:

5vforest (dot) net/files/PlayThisNext.zip

"Put this script in your iTunes Scripts folder. This is located in home > Library > iTunes. If there is no folder named "Scripts" there, create one and put the script in it. It will then appear in iTunes' Script Menu, where you can select it by clicking on its name.

While a track is playing, select another track and run this script. It is an applet whose generic script icon will appear in the Dock. It will wait for the current track to finish playing and then start playing the selected track, and then dismiss itself.

• Play sequence will proceed from the selected track.

• You can select the same track so that it plays again.

• If you can't wait for the selected track to start playing, re-activate the script by clicking its icon in the Dock; it will start playing the selected track immediately and dismiss itself."

This is based on Doug Adam's original script. All credit to him where due, I just updated this as his script was no longer working.
5vforest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:55 AM   #22
cshannahan
macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get the DJ app to see my shared library? I don't have music on my ipad but I want to queue up songs!!! Anything out there that can do this?
cshannahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:30 PM   #23
wordphrase
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmarkham View Post
This is true, but the OP's request/workflow/need still isn't met. I totally get what he wants. An ad-hoc playlist out of the library, starting now, playing as he builds it. If you use DJ, each tune you pick to "Play next..." will go to the top of the play next queue, not be appended to it. So if you're playing Song1, add Song2, then add Song3, Song4, what you'll hear is Song1, Song4, Song3, Song2.

Late to the "party" here, but the best way to queue songs in the order you add them is to use the "Add to iTunes DJ" button, but as the "source" playlist choose a blank playlist. This will avoid the auto-created DJ songs and just give you a blank playlist that queued songs will get added to in the order you select them. You can also just drag a song to iTunes DJ and it will add the song to the end of the list (the right-click menu is getting rather long these days). Also, with a bit of dragging or resizing, you can double-click on iTunes DJ and create a new window to have next to your main iTunes window and drag songs to wherever you want. I toyed with this for a while to figure that out, as I miss that very basic function from WinAmp.

Actually iTunes does it a touch better because it gives you two queue options. Basically you can choose to add a song to the top or bottom of the playlist. Sometimes you want to build off the song you just added (if you're, say, 10 songs deep), but sometimes you find a song you don't want to wait to hear. This way you can add it to the top with "Play next in iTunes DJ" button.

It's not the greatest system, but it gets the job done until Apple realizes we want a very simple way to queue songs. without all the settings, confusion, etc.
wordphrase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Hvaffornoget
macrumors newbie

THANK YOU! It works, yay. Now, I'm thinking, is it possible to queue more than one song? Because this doesn't seem to be working for me..

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5vforest View Post
I couldn't find inket's application, but I did find an old applescript that is supposed to do the same thing.

However, it wasn't working and needed to be updated for iTunes 10. I have done so and the new script is available here:

5vforest (dot) net/files/PlayThisNext.zip

"Put this script in your iTunes Scripts folder. This is located in home > Library > iTunes. If there is no folder named "Scripts" there, create one and put the script in it. It will then appear in iTunes' Script Menu, where you can select it by clicking on its name.

While a track is playing, select another track and run this script. It is an applet whose generic script icon will appear in the Dock. It will wait for the current track to finish playing and then start playing the selected track, and then dismiss itself.

• Play sequence will proceed from the selected track.

• You can select the same track so that it plays again.

• If you can't wait for the selected track to start playing, re-activate the script by clicking its icon in the Dock; it will start playing the selected track immediately and dismiss itself."

This is based on Doug Adam's original script. All credit to him where due, I just updated this as his script was no longer working.
Hvaffornoget is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #25
RKEdwizzle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
A few years down the line and I'm still googling this issue being led to this thread.
It is actually retarded that a simple feature that Windows Media Player offers, is not found on iTunes.

If I have my library of 2500+ songs, I don't want them all in a playlist, and I am happy with them being shuffled not playlist-ed.

Am I right in saying you want this too...

ShuffleSong1, ShuffleSong2, UserDefined"Play Next"Song, ShuffleSong3 and so on...

It's 2012! Surely they can do this one little thing for us?
Please Apple?
RKEdwizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help