Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlepitzki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hello,

I just installed Mac Office 2011 and am having trouble connecting my hotmail account to Outlook. I go to add my hotmail account and everything seems to work, but it does not show up on the left side under inbox or anything. When I go back into settings, it shows the hotmail as my default account, but I can't see any of my messages... Also, periodically alerts pop up in the bottom right hand corner showing "new" messages, however they are really, really old emails from my hotmail account. I can click on the alert and read the old message, but I can't find where those messages are on Outlook. I have successfully added my gmail account and my home university's account. Please help! What am I doing wrong?

One other thing to mention, when I delete the hotmail acct and try to add it again, it always adds "On my computer" under the inbox section. This "inbox" keeps popping up with old old emails. So I go into preferences/general and hide it. I have been trying to figure this out for like an hour and a half. Please help!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Hello,

I just installed Mac Office 2011 and am having trouble connecting my hotmail account to Outlook. I go to add my hotmail account and everything seems to work, but it does not show up on the left side under inbox or anything. ...
A few minutes ago, I setup my Live.com email account in Outlook 2011. Outlook has two wizards--one for Exchange and another for everything else. In the wizard's first dialog box, I typed in my account and password. Outlook populated itself with the correct settings for my Live.com account.

My Live.com account now just works in Outlook 2011. However, there is no special indication in the application's sidebar that Live.com is setup. The only indication of an account is the list of messages. The fact that you don't see Hotmail in your sidebar appears to be normal.

My only suggestion to you is to make sure that you have typed in the correct password for you account. Otherwise, make sure that Hotmail's required ports are open.

jlepitzki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi,

So I decided to re-add my hotmail account again. I didn't realize this, but the "On my Computer" folder that appears in the left hand navigation bar appears to actually be the inbox. I can now view my emails, drafts, sent items, deleted items, and junk email!!

I think I had it before, but kept hiding that folder because I have like 700 old emails and outlook kept popping up saying all these messages were new emails. Plus they would come in chunks of like 20-50 messages at one time so it seemed like it was never going to end.

Thank you for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.