Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
so i just got bored with safari so i decided to try out google chrome. but i had a few questions.

is there a way to add custom buttons like in safari? i like how in safari i can put butons like + Bookmark and place it anywhere i like. is there a way to do this in chrome?

and also any recommended extensions? right now i just have, addblock, flashblock, and speed dial (top sites) extensions.

let me know...thanks.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Turn Off The Lights and 1Password (from the beta build)

I believe the dev build of google chrome allows you to customize the toolbar

can you provide a link plz? i dont think i have the dev build

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Safari is bloated and awkward. It beach balls like none other and has very few convincing features. Google Chrome is Google owned and constantly sends Google your browsing history for "diagnostic purposes". Opera and Firefox are where it's at.

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Safari is bloated and awkward. It beach balls like none other and has very few convincing features. Google Chrome is Google owned and constantly sends Google your browsing history for "diagnostic purposes". Opera and Firefox are where it's at.

ff runs like balls. it doesnt handle java well. it eats up ram, and cpu a noticeable amount compared to safari.

iv tried everything and i always resort back to safari :/ but im sick of it lol

edit: and thanks tomple i know u did try for me and i appreciate that.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
ff runs like balls. it doesnt handle java well. it eats up ram, and cpu a noticeable amount compared to safari.

iv tried everything and i always resort back to safari :/ but im sick of it lol

edit: and thanks tomple i know u did try for me and i appreciate that.

+1 on Firefox sucking

and thanks for acknowledging my attempts :)

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
What the hell is wrong with your computer? None of that is true.

nothing. its actually pretty easy to tell. all you have to do is record your activity monitor on a daily basis. i did this and ff used more ram and cpu. which lead my temps to be a couple degrees hotter, and ff just seems more resource intensive than any other browser.

this is old news...and its also known that ff doesn't handle java and stuff as well.

a normal user would not notice these differences. but if you keep an eye on everything like i did you will notice exactly what i have stated.

so far safari, chrome, and opera all run very similar as far as ram and cpu consumption. ff loses in that department.

im trying to fiddle with opera now. i seem to like it. only problem is all the skins are ugly on a mac. im looking for a nice dark one. possibly transparent.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
IMO ... Google is not even a viable search engine ... searches always bring up things from 2007 on the first couple of pages.

Plus the whole Google AdSpam thing they run is the worst ... funny how they do not have AdSpam on their own home page ... but they want to infest everyone else's websites with it?

every day Google is trying to get my computer to access their servers ... sorry Google ... denied

I would never install anything from Google on my computer.

for me Safari rules. :cool:

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
IMO ... Google is not even a viable search engine ... searches always bring up things from 2007 on the first couple of pages.

Plus the whole Google AdSpam thing they run is the worst ... funny how they do not have AdSpam on their own home page ... but they want to infest everyone else's websites with it?

every day Google is trying to get my computer to access their servers ... sorry Google ... denied

yeah google is sort of fishy. i deleted it now anyway. what search engine do you use anyway?

and i wish i could get a damn skin on safari lol. it looks the cleanest but im just so sick of the all grey. i like dark browsers

i just tried out camino but it was hard to customize and the tabs look dumb lol. i guess its safari for me too. google looked the nicest but didnt have some things that i would have liked.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York

What search engine do you use instead?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
yeah google is sort of fishy. i deleted it now anyway. what search engine do you use anyway?

and i wish i could get a damn skin on safari lol. it looks the cleanest but im just so sick of the all grey. i like dark browsers

I use anything but Google ... mostly Bing ... however they all seem to have gotten away from what search engines used to be.

even if you are bored with Safari ... you will come back to it ... for me, I try not to fix what is not broken.

good luck and cheers :cool:

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I use anything but Google ... mostly Bing ... however they all seem to have gotten away from what search engines used to be.

even if you are bored with Safari ... you will come back to it ... for me, I try not to fix what is not broken.

good luck and cheers :cool:

already back to it lol.

safari + clicktoflash = win

oh and btw, which flash player do u use? i think theres a newer one but i think i have one of the betas thats supposed to work better with macs. should i keep this one or update?

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
already back to it lol.

safari + clicktoflash = win

oh and btw, which flash player do u use? i think theres a newer one but i think i have one of the betas thats supposed to work better with macs. should i keep this one or update?

Hi Happle

I also use the same setup ... ClicktoFlash rocks ... I have already forgotten what the Internet looked like with all those annoying Flash Ads.

cheers

happle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
haha google is trying to take over the world. im already ****ed then...i have a evo smartphone. adroid....google powered....AHHH *smashes phone*

and yeah clicktoflash is very nice. and i guess today i wanted to try something new but everything failed me.

anyone have anything to say about my flash question?

should i update to the new one? or keep the beta version that i have that i was told some months ago works best with mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.