Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
as I keep saying its nearly impossible for this person to be caught, I just hope someone catches him/her in the act.

Why? Don't you like getting this information? I for one love these little peeks into the inner workings of Apple support.

If not for people leaking stuff like this we'd never find out about it. I love reading these leaks and hope they keep happening and that the person leaking the information does NOT get caught.

Edit: I should add that the fact that you read this site means you DO like getting this information, so don't you try to say you don't. ;)

Last edited:

apple1990

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Why? Don't you like getting this information? I for one love these little peeks into the inner workings of Apple support.

If not for people leaking stuff like this we'd never find out about it. I love reading these leaks and hope they keep happening and that the person leaking the information does NOT get caught.

Edit: I should add that the fact that you read this site means you DO like getting this information, so don't you try to say you don't. ;)

Not this kind of information, of course if the next iPad/iPhone was leaked then I would love it!

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
High humidity does not in any way cause the LCIs to trip. Apple is just doing this to be nice because too many people lie about getting their iPhones wet at the Genius Bar.

The LCI doesn't work like a hot wheels color changer.... it actually has a membrane that the liquid has to dissolve before you see colored part underneath. Humidity won't do that.

shoobe01

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
The policy change is an Apple thing. The indicator of liquid contact and the general behavior is NOT. They are used on all sorts of consumer products, and every phone. There is lots of experience with these.

I have some.

They are indeed not supposed to indicate as wet from humidity.

Supposed to. They do in fact turn all red from just humidity. This is known to operators, warranty companies, etc. Shhh... don't tell anyone.

Why? Too sensitive maybe. Condensing conditions are localized (glasses ever fogged leaving a building... that's condensing humidity) maybe. Not sure. But it does happen. Many phones have several of these, also. As far as I know, the theory is that unless clear evidence of total immersion, if all have tripped, you ignore them all as false positives.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
They've been doing this with the iPhones since about this time last year. There are two indicators inside that a genius will look at if there's question, but the iPods aren't taken apart in the store so a genius can't check inside of an iPod, like they can an iPhone. I wonder what further inspection means in this case, if they can't take it apart what are they looking for?

Almost all liquid damage is associated with corrosion of metal parts - especially when there is current running through them. They are probably looking for green (oxidized copper) on the pins of the 30-pin dock connector, residue (most liquid damage isn't just water), or signs of water in the display. I fix lots of liquid damaged computers, ipods and iphones, almost all of them have these signs or more.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Wow. iPods have Liquid Contact Indicators to tell them when someone accidentally dropped theirs in the toilet? Cooool. :cool:

Perhaps they need to install some of these in support staff, to detect when there's a leak of information? :p

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Once water dries, how can you detect it by inspection? What visible damage would it leave behind?

I've seen water damage in MacBook Pros. They form corrosion on the leads. Chips can short or blowout physically. You don't need to look very hard to see these things. Normally the water needs to be sitting in the device for some time though. Until it has some mineral content it isn't very conductive. Some camera shops have devices that can quickly evaporate the water before it has time to cause damage. This sort of damage may be more common near the ocean. Salt water could cause a short much more quickly.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wow. iPods have Liquid Contact Indicators to tell them when someone accidentally dropped theirs in the toilet? Cooool. :cool:

Perhaps they need to install some of these in support staff, to detect when there's a leak of information? :p

You assume they don't know the source. For all any of us know, Apple 'leaked' that information themselves. They could be the source of a lot of the leaks that have been out there

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
You assume they don't know the source. For all any of us know, Apple 'leaked' that information themselves. They could be the source of a lot of the leaks that have been out there
Why would Apple need to use an "anonymous" leak to tell people they've taken step to improve customer service? Their PR people would rather trumpet the fact in an official announcement.

Course that would be like admitting the policy was wrong to begin with. Have to keep up that idea Apple's infallible for the next time they mess up and don't want to come clean *coughfaultygraphicscardscough*.

Yanal

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

kingtj said:
If Apple was still some tiny start-up business, clawing and grasping for every possible dollar of profit to ensure their employees could get paid and business could continue to develop? I'd be right there with you, saying, "Hey... come on! Quit trying to get a repair/replacement when the product looks like it's in this kind of condition!"

But as it is? Apple sits on a huge mound of cash reserves and is more profitable than practically any other computer business in the current economy. A big reason they got this way is their promise that they provide a superior overall "user experience". By definition, that not only includes people enjoying the product, but also includes the service after the sale and an overall positive shopping experience online or in their retail stores.

A given product like an iPhone or iPod only gets a lousy 1 year warranty, by default, to start with. To get 2 more years added on, the customer has to BUY an expensive warranty upgrade. Is it that unreasonable to just go ahead and give a guy a replacement or warranty repair in that situation -- where some water sensors and corrosion show the device got wet, but the customer claims otherwise?

Fact is, the customer isn't always LYING about such things. He/she might simply have been a victim of one of their kids or a family member or buddy dropping the thing in a toilet or sink one time, fishing it out and trying to dry it off, and not telling them about it. Maybe it got left outside one time and condensation built up on it before someone remembered it was sitting out and brought it back in? (In that case, they legitimately might not have ever equated it with "water damage", if it hadn't actually rained.)

Or lastly, yeah -- the guy might be lying, simply because he/she doesn't have the money for a replacement, relies heavily on the thing, and feels like it's not "out of line" to ask Apple for a warranty swap this ONE time.

Most stores keep logs of such actions, so you can quickly eliminate the scammers who keep bringing things back in repeatedly for service, an unreasonable number of times. But in a single situation like this? The good-will Apple would generate by just taking care of it "no questions asked" is worth a lot more in the long-run than trying to save a buck on the warranty claim.

not sure about ipods but think it would be similar to iPhone.

There are 4 sensors on the iPhone and if one is tripped (gone red) then the two in inside are looked at and if they are red then you know its water damage. Its funny I've seen people swear blindly that their iPhone hasn't been near water and then you look inside and its really badly corroded and needless to say the sensors have gone off!

I agree with everything you said except you only get ONE extra year on the iPhone when you buy AppleCare not like macs

Tonepoet

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
zorinlynx said:

Edit: I should add that the fact that you read this site means you DO like getting this information, so don't you try to say you don't.
Not this kind of information, of course if the next iPad/iPhone was leaked then I would love it!

We like getting information that can help us in some way shape or form. This really can't. I mean, what am I going to do? Tell the manager I read otherwise on Mac Rumors, a site that's not officially linked to Apple Inc. in any way, shape or form? Is this information enough to tip me over the edge on buying an iPod vs. any other device which probably wouldn't be any better either way?

Aside from that, a behind the scenes warranty leak such as this stands to harm us as it's easily possible to reverse, if not only for the sake of damaging the employee's credibility to preserve their secrecy. This makes it so the risk:reward ratio is quite simply not worthwhile for us customers who would be effected. In my own opinion, this is a case of the theory that there are being some things that are just better kept to yourself.

That's assuming they got the memo to begin with. I went into an Apple Store once expecting to make use of the recycling program once and virtually everybody on staff in the shop was confused by my assumption until they saw the policy on the website...

In regards to high humidity, I find it rather hard to believe it never, ever, ever causes the sensors to trip. Even if you were to build them to an effectiveness of 99.99% an estimated 1 out of every 10,000 people would have had it happen to them. There are millions of iPod customers so if it can happen, it almost very surly has, as a principal of Murphy's Law. The question is to what extent is it reasonable for Apple to be expected to support them? I can't say I'm truly certain of that. If this rumor is true though, it seems like Apple would consider it worthwhile.

Izlib said:
If you live outdoors in a rainforest, the iPhone might not be for you.
If you live in Florida and you don't walk around in the rain all the time, you should be fine.

What if we live in San Francisco or London, two notoriously foggy cities each of which have their own Apple Store? Am I to expect that using my iPod on the go in relatively normal weather conditions would void the warranty? It's not something I'd normally think about as damaging to the device, especially since it's so seemingly seamless. Nevertheless I'd actually speculate it to be highly likely to trip the sensors pendent on their location, as the moisture is effectively suspended in midair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.