Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepak.selvaraj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
I am planning to buy a 13" MBP. I'm happy with the C2D processor it comes with. The only thing that has bothered me is the low screen resolution it offers compared to other 13" notebooks in the market. Now that the new 13" MBA has a high resolution screen, I'm confused to make a decision. I can wait till the end of Jan 2011. Will a refreshed MBP be released before that?

I also hear that Intel is about to stop manufacturing C2D by the end of 2010. Does that mean an i3/i5 will make its way to the 13" MBP? I don't mind losing the optical drive for a better processor. I'd love it if the 10hr battery life and the brilliant 320m discreet graphics stay while the optical drive is removed for more space to fit in an i3/i5 or even i7 :)o).

Also, will LightPeak be introduced in the next update?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
and the advice remains the same...

If it matters to you and you don't absolutely need the new system now, then wait until you need the new system.

Or buy a refurb or used version and resell it a couple months after the next announcement if you prefer the updated version.

As to the screen resolution -- does a 12.5% difference really matter in typical use? Unless my math is wrong, that's the pixel-per-inch difference between 1280x800 & 1440x900 on a 13.3 display.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I am planning to buy a 13" MBP. I'm happy with the C2D processor it comes with. The only thing that has bothered me is the low screen resolution it offers compared to other 13" notebooks in the market. Now that the new 13" MBA has a high resolution screen, I'm confused to make a decision. I can wait till the end of Jan 2011. Will a refreshed MBP be released before that?

I also hear that Intel is about to stop manufacturing C2D by the end of 2010. Does that mean an i3/i5 will make its way to the 13" MBP? I don't mind losing the optical drive for a better processor. I'd love it if the 10hr battery life and the brilliant 320m discreet graphics stay while the optical drive is removed for more space to fit in an i3/i5 or even i7 :)o).

Also, will LightPeak be introduced in the next update?

There's plenty of room for the CPU, but it's the graphics which is holding the MBP 13" to C2D.

If Apple could have paired the 320m with an i3 or i5 they would have, but they couldn't an didnt want to be stuck with crappy Intel graphics.

I can easily see the new MBPs taking design cues from the Air, like previously with the unibody construction.

My guess/hope, new MBPs to feature:
*i3, i5, i7 standard
*dual Flash/HDD setup
*dual graphics across the line, i.e 13" incl ala 15/17"
*widescreen higher res displays
*bigger battery
*(all possible, because there will be) NO OPTICAL DRIVE!
*NO optical drive

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
and the advice remains the same...

If it matters to you and you don't absolutely need the new system now, then wait until you need the new system.

Or buy a refurb or used version and resell it a couple months after the next announcement if you prefer the updated version.

As to the screen resolution -- does a 12.5% difference really matter in typical use? Unless my math is wrong, that's the pixel-per-inch difference between 1280x800 & 1440x900 on a 13.3 display.
There is a 27% difference in number of pixels. I was just at the local Apple Store comparing the MBA 13, MBP 13 and MBP 15. And that is a very noticeable to me.

I can't help but believe that a MBP 13" upgrade is just around the corner. Right now you go into the store and if you need the resolution the choices are between a MBA that is fairly limited in a number of areas and the MBP 15 that literally weighs twice as much.

I've personally decided to hold out a bit longer. I'm coming from a 2.5 year old MPB 15, but there is no way that my next system will bigger or heavier than the current MBP 13.

HotPopsicle

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
Not that it matters, but I'm waiting for the next refresh before buying....I think we'll get a significantly better machine.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Not that it matters, but I'm waiting for the next refresh before buying....I think we'll get a significantly better machine.

Same here. One of my biggest problems with the MBP13 is that they called a C2D computer with integrated graphics a "Pro" machine simply because of the casing. It definitely needs a hardware boost to earn it a spot in the Pro lineup. So I'm holding off too for Sandy Bridge, dedicated GPU and a higher res screen.

BTW. For those saying "no optical"... I like that they removed it for the air because it makes sense. But PRO machines are all about being excessively versatile and powerful. So removing optical just because "Steve says it's useless" is silly.

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Will it hurt you to wait? Since the MBP 13" is in line for a refresh and I'm sure we won't see it for Christmas that means after the holidays a major update is coming. It's safe to to say apple won't be using c2 this time... they can't do it. C2 is D O A. Also a lot of new technology & competition on the horizon I think will force apples hand in delivering a much improved product all around. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.