Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shmuco

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Im looking for reliable fire wire 800 external hard drive to use with my mac book pro for time machine and storage, 1TB or more.....Any suggestions??

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
G-Tech.

You get what you pay for. Look at how G-Tech drives are constructed and you'll get some idea about the calibre of equipment you're dealing with. Available via the Apple Store and certain resellers. Not sure if the big-box stores carry them.

Last edited:

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I would just look at the warranty, or just buy an enclosure and stick in your own hard drive. yes, G-Techs are built well, but the limiting factor, durability-wise, is still the drive that sits inside it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Which reminds me . . .

Sometimes it isn't the drive itself that fails but the HD controller, the other electronics, etc. Problem can be solved by removing the drive and getting a new enclosure for it. And there goes a good chunk of the money you sunk into the unit as a whole. Sometimes it's a crap-shoot.

So know what kind of drive you're getting. Know what the enclosure is like - durable? Heat dissipation? Fan (when it *should* ideally have one)?

You can have a top-end drive in a lousy enclosure and it won't last.

You need to figure worst-case scenario here: if you've determined that it's a quality drive in a sturdy, supportive and properly-ventilated (or heat dissipating) enclosure, then your only worry (all else being equal) is the other electronics inside that control the drive. This is probably your best position, as the likelihood of you losing your data is much lower (ideally, at least.)

In any case, if you've got the money, opting for G-Tech drives will stack the deck a little more in your favour. Great drives (some of them Hitachi enterprise class) with well-eingineered enclosures.

Last edited:

mrvanagon

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro™
owcmeaqmaphero350.jpg

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
G-Tech.

You get what you pay for. Look at how G-Tech drives are constructed and you'll get some idea about the calibre of equipment you're dealing with. Available via the Apple Store and certain resellers. Not sure if the big-box stores carry them.

Sorry to bump this thread but I had to comment on G-Tech. The power supply of my G-Drive Q went belly-up in FEBRUARY and I rang customer service who said they'd send me out a new one. Nothing arrived. Phoned up and chased them several times over the last few months - each time promised they would send one out and apologised due to lack of stock. Tried contacting them by phone, email, twitter everything. Got absolutely nowhere. Eventually got someone last week who shipped a power supply out but it was the wrong one. Then I got a correct one sent out which doesn't work (I have an identical drive which if I use it's power supply does power up the other drive so it's definitely the power supply at fault).

My point being that as G-Tech seem to pride themselves on the higher 'creative professional' end of the market, they've completely shown how little they really will stand by their products should something go wrong. I've been waiting from mid-February to mid-June and it's still not fixed. I'm trashing the drive and buying a new enclosure from someone else.

Absolutely shocking company, they should be ashamed.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
does it need to be portable, if not go with the OWC above. if it does, go with a WD passport 1TB (~100) and ultra portable with customer service/warranty

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Meh, I would just stick with a traditional brand HDD vendor.

Western Digital, Seagate, etc.
What constitutes a "traditional" brand? OWC has been a respected supplier of Mac hardware for over 20 years. How much more "traditional" can you get?

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
What constitutes a "traditional" brand? OWC has been a respected supplier of Mac hardware for over 20 years. How much more "traditional" can you get?

I would contribute that to part of the etc. portion of my sentence. ;)

OWC is a great HDD vendor.

EDIT: I remember seeing a study from google several months ago testing a wide array of HDD's. Failure rates seem to be vendor independent from their research. http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html

hssky97

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2010
I know your looking for fire-wire 800 but this HDD works like a charm -> Western Digital - WD Elements 1.5TB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
I have the 2TB model but it isn't showing up on the Best Buy page anymore. It may not be a fire-wire 800 but it has a transfer rate of 480mbps, you may be giving up some speed but this thing is only $80! I have had mine for a year now and I am very satisfied with it.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
I remember seeing a study from google several months ago testing a wide array of HDD's. Failure rates seem to be vendor independent from their research. http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html

Actually, that paper says that failure rates ARE related to brand.

Failure rates are known to be highly correlated with drive models, manufacturers and vintages [18]. Our results do not contradict this fact.

The paper does not LIST those statistics, however:
However, in this paper, we do not show a breakdown of drives per manufacturer, model, or vintage due to the proprietary nature of these data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.