Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

film916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I often have an issue where my iMac won't shut down, restart or logout users. Basically, when I click Shut Down or Restart, the desktop icons disappear as if the computer's getting ready to shut down (the desktop wallpaper remains) and it just sits there and won't shut down. I have to hold down the power button on the back of the computer in order to get the computer to shut off. This often happens when I try to logout a user. I'd say this happens about 2/3 to 3/4 of my attempts to shut down or logout a user. Any ideas?

film916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Reset SMC and PRAM and run Disk Utility

First, thanks for the replies, but you're kinda speaking a new language to me. How to I reset SMC and PRAM, and what should I run in Disk Utility?

restart holding command+V and it will boot in verbose mode. then shutdown or logout and verbose mode will also show. what does it get stuck on?

I don't think I've ever booted in verbose mode. What should I look for when I shutdown?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
no need to reset the PRAM (actually NVRAM in Intel Macs) as it just holds the speaker volume, screen res and startup disk info. do try an SMC reset tho http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

if it shows verbose info before restarting, might not as you said it stalls at the wallpaper (not at the blue screen), it will stall at a line and try and remember what stalled it or write down the whole line.

film916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
no need to reset the PRAM (actually NVRAM in Intel Macs) as it just holds the speaker volume, screen res and startup disk info. do try an SMC reset tho http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

if it shows verbose info before restarting, might not as you said it stalls at the wallpaper (not at the blue screen), it will stall at a line and try and remember what stalled it or write down the whole line.

Thanks, guys... I'll give this a shot and let you know what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.