Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Well, the update seemed to work for me. Internal on my PowerBook, and a Hotsync with my Palm went well...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
nosen said:
This update isn't showing up for me. :confused:

Do you have an Internal Bluetooth thing? I think this update is only for the Apple-shipped Bluetooth... but I don't know.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
The Bluetooth Updater has messed up mine!

I have a 12" PB with built-in Bluetooth which I use for my wireless Apple mouse. I updated launched the Bluetooth Firmware Updater program in Utilities and it went on about updating until it finished (or I thought it had finished). Then when I tried to quit it said I had not updated it.

I am trying to run it again because now my menu bar says "Bluetooth Disabled" and it doesn't show in System Preferences either!

Here's the shot I get after pressing update and waiting a while:

Attachments

• Bluetooth.jpg
    Bluetooth.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 139

yinyang

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2003
sunny brisbane
johnnyjibbs said:
The Bluetooth Updater has messed up mine!

I have a 12" PB with built-in Bluetooth which I use for my wireless Apple mouse. I updated launched the Bluetooth Firmware Updater program in Utilities and it went on about updating until it finished (or I thought it had finished). Then when I tried to quit it said I had not updated it.

I am trying to run it again because now my menu bar says "Bluetooth Disabled" and it doesn't show in System Preferences either!

Here's the shot I get after pressing update and waiting a while:

Try this from the apple forums....

http://discussions.info.apple.com/.689fc25c/0

at least the update is now doing something...!

first ever problem in three and half years of updates etc, and had better be the last...!! :mad:

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
yinyang said:
Try this from the apple forums....

http://discussions.info.apple.com/.689fc25c/0

at least the update is now doing something...!

first ever problem in three and half years of updates etc, and had better be the last...!! :mad:
Thanks - I'll try that now. Just waiting for permissions to complete repair..

Earlier, I restarted my computer and the Bluetooth was working again but I guess I was still using the old firmware. That discussion in the Apple Support forum does seem to describe the problem I was happening so hopefully it will work now.

Phew! At least my computer recognises it has Bluetooth again!!!

EDIT: Yes it is working now and the firmware update is in progress. It's strange that, after following the steps on that article, it still didn't work, so I downloaded it from the website (rather than using the Software Update one) and now it IS working! Strange!

EDIT 2: It's all installed and it's brilliant. Finally my wireless mouse does not lose its connection when my PB goes to sleep!!!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
johnnyjibbs said:
EDIT 2: It's all installed and it's brilliant. Finally my wireless mouse does not lose its connection when my PB goes to sleep!!![/color]
I (think I) figured out how to do the update... and I had the same result this morning. I woke my PBook up, and my mouse still worked! WooHoo! :D

Question though. I wouldn't have known there was an update if I didn't read it here. Should it have shown up in my Software Update? Is there somewhere I can verify which version firmware I am running?

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Takes a loooong time -

No apparent problems here - internal BT on a Rev B 12" PowerBook. I use BT for my keyboard and mouse.

I am curious as to why this particular update takes such a long time and why it posts all the warnings about not letting your machine sleep, etc, during the update. You don't get any where near that level of caution when installing any other updates.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
nosen said:
I (think I) figured out how to do the update... and I had the same result this morning. I woke my PBook up, and my mouse still worked! WooHoo! :D

Question though. I wouldn't have known there was an update if I didn't read it here. Should it have shown up in my Software Update? Is there somewhere I can verify which version firmware I am running?
Mine appeared in Software Update originally but maybe that's because I have the internal module. Do you have any ignored updates set up in Software Update?

I'd imagine this update will appear on MacRumors front page when arn, Mudbug or Doctor Q have the time.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
OldManJimbo said:
No apparent problems here - internal BT on a Rev B 12" PowerBook. I use BT for my keyboard and mouse.

I am curious as to why this particular update takes such a long time and why it posts all the warnings about not letting your machine sleep, etc, during the update. You don't get any where near that level of caution when installing any other updates.
I'm guessing that updating firmware is quite an important thing at a deep level of the OS and interrupting the process could mess the system up. The warnings will be in case you leave your computer for a cup of tea and have energy saver set to put the computer to sleep after a certain period of inactivity.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
johnnyjibbs said:
Mine appeared in Software Update originally but maybe that's because I have the internal module. Do you have any ignored updates set up in Software Update?

I'd imagine this update will appear on MacRumors front page when arn, Mudbug or Doctor Q have the time.
I do have an external module, and I haven't had it forever (actually, only a month or less). It's possible that I set to ignore a past BT update. I wonder if that would can any subsequent updates. :confused:

Either way, I was really happy to not have to set up my mouse this morning! :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
johnnyjibbs said:
I'm guessing that updating firmware is quite an important thing at a deep level of the OS and interrupting the process could mess the system up.

From a Google "define:firmware" search:
Software that is embedded in a hardware device that allows reading and executing the software, but does not allow modification, e.g., writing or deleting data by an end user. (188)* Note 1: An example of firmware is a computer program in a read-only memory (ROM) integrated circuit chip.* A hardware configuration is usually used to represent the software.* Note 2: Another example of firmware is a program embedded in an erasable programmable read-only memory (EPROM) chip, which program may be modified by special external hardware, but not by an application program.

Basically, firmware is the software on the Bluetooth thingamajig. Letting your computer sleep is like half-installing the OS for a computer. It ain't gonna work. No code, no worky, no bluetooth. Or computer if it is an OS.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
On the first attempt the updater broke my Bluetooth module. Maybe it was because I "panicked" when the updater said that it was searching for devices and hurried to turn on my bluetooth keyboard in case it wanted to update something in the keyboard too. Later I realised that the keyboard and the mouse got their own updater a while a go and whe device that the updater was searching for was probably just the internal bluetooth module.

Anyway, the updater never finished and after a long time it just gave up leaving the bluetooth icon with a squiggly across it and with some greyed out error message as the only menu option.

I tried the updater several times with no luck and finally I restarted the computer which resurrected bluetooth. After that I tried the updater keeping the bluetooth keyboard shut off. Full success. I haven't noticed any difference after from the update.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
nosen said:
I do have an external module, and I haven't had it forever (actually, only a month or less). It's possible that I set to ignore a past BT update. I wonder if that would can any subsequent updates. :confused:
So, I came home and checked my ignored updates, and the only thing in there was an iSight update. I opened my BT Firmware Update program, and checked the version (below). Does this look right? What is the procedure I should be going through? I'm a little confused. :confused:

Attachments

• BTUpdate.jpg
    BTUpdate.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 111

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Worked fine on my external D-link revision B3.
I could be wrong but I think it has actually changed the behaviour of the light on the front - it used to stay on constantly, but now it only comes on when I move the mouse.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
nosen said:
So, I came home and checked my ignored updates, and the only thing in there was an iSight update. I opened my BT Firmware Update program, and checked the version (below). Does this look right? What is the procedure I should be going through? I'm a little confused. :confused:
No, the one that Apple just release is Bluetooth Firmware Updater version 1.2. Click here to download the latest version from Apple's website.

I have a feeling that I missed the last firmware update (1.1) for some reason (or downloaded the program and never ran it properly), which may explain why I had some problems and why my mouse has now gained "work from sleep" capability. This new 1.2 update should just improve reliability for you, although you may not notice a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.