Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs14smith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Hey everyone,

I can't seem to find a straight answer on what OS the new Apple TV uses. Some articles I'm finding online are stating it's using a stripped down version of Mac OSX, and some are saying it's using the iOS. I didn't see it on the Apple webpage displaying the device nor in the specs section.

I'm doing a report and just trying to confirm which OS it uses, and if possible find a reputable source that states it.

Thanks ! :)

pasipple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Not to contradict the previous poster....but...the second generation AppleTV runs on iOS, the same operating system used on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.

I guess you could say that IOS is a stripped down version of OS X...but the fact is the ATV2 runs the same operating system as the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad (as stated above) and can be jailbroken with the same tools as those that jailbreak the iPhones and iPad.

A search in Google will confirm.

rs14smith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
So in a nut shell, the following devices use the iOS: iPhone, iPod, and Apple TV?

I know the versions may differ, but at the root, it's iOS in general?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Says version 4.0 in the settings, no updates available.

That is the appletv software version, the old appletv was on 3.x, so this is version 4 of appletv software. Version 4 of atv software happens to be iOS 4.1.

Versions 1-3 were based on Tiger.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
That is the appletv software version, the old appletv was on 3.x, so this is version 4 of appletv software. Version 4 of atv software happens to be iOS 4.1.

Ah. That makes sense. Hopefully iOS 4.2 is shown as 4.2 on everything.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

davidwarren said:
Says version 4.0 in the settings, no updates available.

Versions 1-3 were based on Tiger.

WTH?! Don't give bad info. The os for the new apple tv has nothing to do codewise from the original. It runs IOS, a different code lineage that the old systems OS.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
WTH?! Don't give bad info. The os for the new apple tv has nothing to do codewise from the original. It runs IOS, a different code lineage that the old systems OS.

That may be, but it is shown as version 4 to the consumer to keep the Apple TV line the same. Because remember, 4 comes after 3.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
The Apple TV 2 runs iOS 4.1, not 4.0.

Fragmentation! Are you seeing this Android haters? ;)

But yeah, the old Apple TV (which I think is a superior machine TBH) runs OS X with a front end called "Backrow" - a modified version of Front Row. The new Apple TV runs iOS with a front end called "Lowtide" which can also be hacked onto the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Fragmentation! Are you seeing this Android haters?

Hardly fragmentation. All of the hardware is under Apple's control. Where as Android is under to control of many different hardware manufactures. And one could say that the iPhone/iOS became "fragmented" the day the iPod Touch 1G came out.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
When Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone back in 2007, it was talked about being a derivative of Mac OS X, because iOS (according to Wikipedia):

"iOS is derived from Mac OS X, with which it shares the Darwin foundation, and is therefore a Unix-like operating system by nature."

As everyone on here has said, the original Apple TV in its various software versions was Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)-based, but this one is completely iOS-based (the motherboard is even similar to the iPad's!).

So, in short, everyone but the iPod classic, nano, and shuffle that Apple sells is Darwin-based.

ericvmazzone

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2008
Kalamazoo, MI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Intell said:
ericvmazzone said:

That may be, but it is shown as version 4 to the consumer to keep the Apple TV line the same. Because remember, 4 comes after 3.

No it's not shown as version 4 so the user sees it as being version 4 of atv. It's version 4 since it runs version 4 of IOS.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
But remember the average user doesn't not know that the ATV2 runs a different OS the the ATV1.

The average user didn't know the Apple TV existed until the second version :D Jokes aside, I don't think people are going to get too confused - and they've sold a LOT of these already.

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007

I didn’t say it had anything to do code-wise with the original. In fact, I said the original was based on Tiger. However, the current version of software on the new Atv is the fourth iteration of software for Atvs. I guess we will know for sure when the Atv is updated to 4.2; will it skip to 4.2 or be 4.1 of Atv…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.