Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was over at Sony Style and the new HT Receivers (I have an old one which has only composite and S-Video) have both HDMI and Component.

My current HT is only wired for Component.

If I buy one of these receivers and hook something up HDMI (like the new AppleTV), will it output the signal on Component which I can send to my projector?

Thanks.....

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I was over at Sony Style and the new HT Receivers (I have an old one which has only composite and S-Video) have both HDMI and Component.

My current HT is only wired for Component.

If I buy one of these receivers and hook something up HDMI (like the new AppleTV), will it output the signal on Component which I can send to my projector?

Thanks.....

I think you are out of luck. Most modern receivers will up-convert analog video sources to HDMI, but they usually don't convert HDMI to analog. Also, the HDCP copy protection used by most HDMI sources forbids converting the signal to an unprotected High Def output. At best, they might be allowed to convert to a Standard Definition component/composite output.

But the older Apple TV is still easy to find at good prices and it provides component outputs. ;)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I think KevinC867 is right, most HDMI receivers will not down-convert HDMI to component (or other analog) outputs. I know my Denon won't do it.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
I think you are out of luck. Most modern receivers will up-convert analog video sources to HDMI, but they usually don't convert HDMI to analog. Also, the HDCP copy protection used by most HDMI sources forbids converting the signal to an unprotected High Def output. At best, they might be allowed to convert to a Standard Definition component/composite output.

But the older Apple TV is still easy to find at good prices and it provides component outputs. ;)

The old model has connections for HDMI, component, plus an analog audio out which can be used by a receiver's 2nd zone if so equipped. The ATV2 has only HDMI or on optical audio out.

AFAIK, the advantages of the new model over the old are that it's cheaper; runs cooler (lower power usage); and has the ability to rent TV shows (you can rent and buy movies, but only buy TV shows on the old model).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.