Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
For the last couple of months, I'm seeing this message least once a day when using Google:

Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network. Please try your request again later. It used to say something about "automated requests", but I guess they've changed it recently.

Anyhow, I can't figure out why this is happening; oddly, it only seems to happen when using Safari (5.0.2). I tried switching to Firefox for a couple of days, and didn't get any of these messages. Any advice?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
That message from Google could be caused by many different things. If you have cable modem service (which is a shared line), and someone else on your segment is running a bot of some sort that accesses Google a lot... that's one (unlikely) cause.

Another is attempting to run wget or SiteSucker (web bots) on Google search results. Google doesn't like that.

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
This happens whether I'm at home or at work, so it can't be someone on my shared cable modem line, and I'm not running anything like SiteSucker. As mentioned, it's Safari-only; could it be a bad extension?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This happens whether I'm at home or at work, so it can't be someone on my shared cable modem line, and I'm not running anything like SiteSucker. As mentioned, it's Safari-only; could it be a bad extension?
Yes, that's a possibility. Could be a badly written GMail checker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.