Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have a G4 ibook 800mhz with the standard 256mb RAM (I know, I know), and I'm having some trouble with the trackpad as of today. It acts really jerky right now and doesn't always move when I move my finger on the trackpad. Sometimes, I have to take my hand off said track pad and put it back on to get the pointer to move again. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I tried restarting and that didn't work. Any ideas, geniuses??

-Jason

madget

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2004
Me too! I also have an ibook G4 800 and the problem started just a few days ago. I recently had my keyboard replaced (the typeface had worn off the keys!) and wondered if that had anything to do with it. I find that I lose control of the pointer when my hand rests beside the trackpad or when I click and drag something. I'm not messing around with anymore selfhelp fixes... already tried a bunch, PRAM, etc... taking it right to the shop. Bottom line, should not be doing this! Computer worked fine for 7 months.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
This has happened to my iBook once before too. I think it is caused by any oil on your hands or liquids that could have been absorbed through the track pad. It can also be caused by just resting your hands on the keyboard while you move it with your thumb so part of your hand touches it while you're moving it and it moves all randomly, etc. Make sure you have clean, dry hands and it should be fine. Maybe invest in a mouse... makes life easier.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also if your fingertips are overly callused, I find sometimes that this makes the trackpad unresponsive. But then I have pretty soft hands (okay, don't start with me ;)) and I have this issue with the very tips of my fingers once in a while, and I've never heard friends who have really callused hands, from rock climbing, complain about it that much. :confused:

madget

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2004
haiggy said:
Maybe invest in a mouse... makes life easier.

Yes, a mouse works fine. But I travel alot and they are not so easy to use on airplanes. Again, this just started happening -- and only a day after being serviced. Referring to an earlier post: does anyone think this is a 10.3.6. issue?

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I had a similar problem with my Powerbook, you could try going in the Sys Preferences -> Keyboard/Mouse -> Trackpad -> then uncheck the option for "Ignore Accidental Trackpad Input", that seemed to of helped for me.

lovely

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2004
I too just noticed the same problem today! I just got my Ibook 2 weeks ago, and took it out of the box couple days ago. It shouldn't have this problem. At least not NOW :mad:

edit to add: this thing is getting more and more annoying. I did uncheck the "ignore accidental trackpad input" option but still its not making much difference. Should I bring it to Apple store for service? Gosh, its only been 2 days since I took it out of the box :(

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
JeDiBoYTJ said:
I had a similar problem with my Powerbook, you could try going in the Sys Preferences -> Keyboard/Mouse -> Trackpad -> then uncheck the option for "Ignore Accidental Trackpad Input", that seemed to of helped for me.

ditto.

I had that problem too and system preferences solved it.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but sometimes when my ibook was cold, the trackpad became unresponsive. To remedy this I used to breathe on it. The warm seemed to bring it back to responsiveness (a real word?)..

Anyone else tried this method..? Give it a go ;)

/asif

madget

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2004
lovely said:
I did uncheck the "ignore accidental trackpad input" option but still its not making much difference.

Same for me. Unchecking did not make a difference. I'll let you all know what the shop says... (Just need to find the time to get it over there...)

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
asif786 said:
I dont know if this has anything to do with it, but sometimes when my ibook was cold, the trackpad became unresponsive. To remedy this I used to breathe on it. The warm seemed to bring it back to responsiveness (a real word?)..

Anyone else tried this method..? Give it a go ;)

/asif

if my powerbook is cold like you said it does the same thing. if i let my finger sit on the trackpad moisture from the hot/cold causes it to mess up... i just cope until the powerbook starts heating up...

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Logik said:
if my powerbook is cold like you said it does the same thing. if i let my finger sit on the trackpad moisture from the hot/cold causes it to mess up... i just cope until the powerbook starts heating up...

Yep, I know what you mean - the breathing thing never used to work on my 15" AlBook..

Plus the powerbooks get soooo cold in the morning - I used to hate having to use it at like 7am :( Was just like getting into a cold car..horrible! lol.

jojobach

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
Portugal
Serviced

I think the word here is "serviced". I was having the same problem after I cleaned my trackpad. But in 2/3 days it was running smooth again.

Some days after these events, I took it for service in the Apple store because I had a non-working line in the screen. When it came from the store it started to have the same problem again and I took it there and presented the problem. The technician said it was normal because they had had to open all the computer and the trackpad needs some time do adapt again. And after 2/3 days, it was running smooth again.

So, after that I still clean my trackpad, but I use only a small amout of liquid, in order that it doesn't get too wet.

Of course that, if you're having troubles for a long period, you need to take it to be serviced, but otherwise it's a normal thing. They said that PC's touchpads have the same issue.

Jakes

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2005
Did the trick for me with the trackpad issues i had in Word

JeDiBoYTJ said:

Yes, apparently it fixed my trackpad issues in word as well. Thx.

(btw, using new 15" pb)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Jakes said:
Yes, apparently it fixed my trackpad issues in word as well. Thx.

(btw, using new 15" pb)

Wow -- this is a year old thread. I was confused when they were saying 10.3.6...

Jakes

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2005
California said:
Wow -- this is a year old thread. I was confused when they were saying 10.3.6...

ehh, I just found out after I posted. One of the firsts posts appearing with the search i typed.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sorry to bring back an old post, but I'm having a similar problem with my g3 ibook. The trackpad works fine when I'm running the ibook off the battery, but it seems when I hook it up to the ac adapter that the trackpad is like laggy. Anyone know why this would be?

maschman

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
In reference to jojobach from 11/04:

"...I think the word here is "serviced". I was having the same problem after I cleaned my trackpad. But in 2/3 days it was running smooth again.

Some days after these events, I took it for service in the Apple store because I had a non-working line in the screen. When it came from the store it started to have the same problem again and I took it there and presented the problem. The technician said it was normal because they had had to open all the computer and the trackpad needs some time do adapt again. And after 2/3 days, it was running smooth again...."

This was very helpful. I just put a 1 GB memory stick in my 1033 iBook, and suddenly the track pad didn't work. I had been so careful, following video and written instructions and could find no error. It was a relief to read jojobach's comment. It makes sense and I hope to have my trak pad operating again in a day or two. Will let everyone know what happens. ps I now have 1.5 GB memory in my speedy little ibook, ready for snow leopard!:)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
In reference to jojobach from 11/04:

"...I think the word here is "serviced". I was having the same problem after I cleaned my trackpad. But in 2/3 days it was running smooth again.

Some days after these events, I took it for service in the Apple store because I had a non-working line in the screen. When it came from the store it started to have the same problem again and I took it there and presented the problem. The technician said it was normal because they had had to open all the computer and the trackpad needs some time do adapt again. And after 2/3 days, it was running smooth again...."

This was very helpful. I just put a 1 GB memory stick in my 1033 iBook, and suddenly the track pad didn't work. I had been so careful, following video and written instructions and could find no error. It was a relief to read jojobach's comment. It makes sense and I hope to have my trak pad operating again in a day or two. Will let everyone know what happens. ps I now have 1.5 GB memory in my speedy little ibook, ready for snow leopard!:)

Hmmmm... old thread and it's even in the wrong forums :p.

I can't see how people had problems with their trackpads. I've never had any problems with mine even after tearing it all apart. Only thing that I remembered that caused problems is from a wet/damp finger. Like from drinking from a glass that has condensated on the outside. You'd have to dry your fingers first.

Oh sorry to burst your bubble but Snow Leopard won't work on your iBook ;). Only Leopard will work.

HERAG1

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Try repair permissions to fix the trackpad issue.

No PRAM works for me.

Only the half right area of the trackpad in my Ibook G4 worked, the other did not move.

I fixed this two times repairing permissions using Disk Utility.

Using an external mouse makes the task easy.

When its done, restart the Ibook.

I hope it works for someone, thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.